Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

New to this whole forum thing. I own a 2017 Stage 3 Focus ST1 and want to go big turbo. I live in SoCal and need a shop that can do reliable work. I want to run the Garrett GEN2 GTX 2867R setup. Any Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
So you want to go from stock to what takes most owners several years to accomplish right away. No disrespect but this forum is just chock full of information to accomplish your goal. I would suggest spending quite a bit of time reading and fully acquainting yourself with your ride and then enjoy the part of making it yours through forum education. Remember you are in CA. Make sure you are prepared for all of certification crap. Not saying it can't be done but you should find some relevant threads within the forum. Become one with the search button.

By the way, welcome to the forum, you will find some really great members and vendors here.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Focus ST
679 Posts
Turbonetics in Newbury Park is pretty good. I don't have any personal experience with their service but my friends have had work done by them and they loved the whole experience.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you want to go from stock to what takes most owners several years to accomplish right away. No disrespect but this forum is just chock full of information to accomplish your goal. I would suggest spending quite a bit of time reading and fully acquainting yourself with your ride and then enjoy the part of making it yours through forum education. Remember you are in CA. Make sure you are prepared for all of certification crap. Not saying it can't be done but you should find some relevant threads within the forum. Become one with the search button.

By the way, welcome to the forum, you will find some really great members and vendors here.
yes I have gotten acquainted with my st and have already gone stage 3. Just need a shop in SoCal with experience. Have been doing some research and not much turns up as far as shops.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Cobb SoCal no longer exist. It's called Ant Tune or something like that. Cobb has gotten out of the retail business and gone back to doing direct sales/wholesale.

Installing a turbo system is easy on this car, it's only difficult to get to everything on the back of the engine. You can take the car to Your Dream Garage which is a DIY shop with an on-duty mechanic if you hit any trouble.

They have lifts available for $15 an hour with basic tools, which is all you need to do this. Watch the install video CJ Pony parts made as many times as you need to understand it.

When you say "Stage 3" I know what it means but it doesn't say squat about what's on your car and what might need to be changed in order for the kit to work. For example on the CJ Pony example they had a Cobb front mount which comes with it's own set of intercooler pipes. While the ATP kit is designed to use stock style intercoolers, you may have to make some modifications as they had too.

First you must figure out where to install your new Blow Off Valve or go the Diverter route like Brian did.

You also need a syposer delete because that is the best vacuum source for the new external BOV.

As to where to put it -

• Stock Hot Side Before The Bellows, several people have done this.
  • CPe or JBR Cold Side Pipe with BOV mount (BOV optional)
  • MBRP, Panda, Depo, AFe Power, etc intercooler pipes

You also need to contact your tuner to get a base tune for your upgrade.

I just got my kit last week but have been delayed with BOV mounting and upgrading my clutch to cope with the power increase since I actively drag race my ST on slicks.

Reactions: bman13235

·
Registered
344 Posts
Cobb SoCal no longer exist. It's called Ant Tune or something like that. Cobb has gotten out of the retail business and gone back to doing direct sales/wholesale.

Installing a turbo system is easy on this car, it's only difficult to get to everything on the back of the engine. You can take the car to Your Dream Garage which is a DIY shop with an on-duty mechanic if you hit any trouble.

They have lifts available for $15 an hour with basic tools, which is all you need to do this. Watch the install video CJ Pony parts made as many times as you need to understand it.

When you say "Stage 3" I know what it means but it doesn't say squat about what's on your car and what might need to be changed in order for the kit to work. For example on the CJ Pony example they had a Cobb front mount which comes with it's own set of intercooler pipes. While the ATP kit is designed to use stock style intercoolers, you may have to make some modifications as they had too.

First you must figure out where to install your new Blow Off Valve or go the Diverter route like Brian did.

You also need a syposer delete because that is the best vacuum source for the new external BOV.

As to where to put it -

• Stock Hot Side Before The Bellows, several people have done this.
  • CPe or JBR Cold Side Pipe with BOV mount (BOV optional)
  • MBRP, Panda, Depo, AFe Power, etc intercooler pipes

You also need to contact your tuner to get a base tune for your upgrade.

I just got my kit last week but have been delayed with BOV mounting and upgrading my clutch to cope with the power increase since I actively drag race my ST on slicks.
What kit did you end up getting to complement your build. Looking forward to seeing your numbers once finished.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
What kit did you end up getting to complement your build. Looking forward to seeing your numbers once finished.
GTX 3071 Gen II .64 A/R.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi guys,

New to this whole forum thing. I own a 2017 Stage 3 Focus ST1 and want to go big turbo. I live in SoCal and need a shop that can do reliable work. I want to run the Garrett GEN2 GTX 2867R setup. Any Suggestions?
To actually answer the question, and if you aren't shy about paying decent sized labor costs, there is Mountune in Carson, ModAuto in La Habra (they do great work), I THINK FSwerks does installs in Anaheim, Cobb by Antspec in Fountain Valley. All of these shops know ST's intimately.

I've had first hand experience with ModAuto (ModBargains) and they do great work. If you wanted to run an EFR system, Mountune has their own, and they do installs. the guys at Cobb are also really cool, I used to buy oil there. The only place I don't have experience with is FSWerks, but other than that, any of those shops will be able to a BT install with ease

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
FSWerks and the like are good/decent no complaints.

Here's the deal. You go to Your Dream Garage, you learn about your car and it's only $15 an hour with tools. If it takes you ALL day during the week when it's less busy and Joe the on-duty mechanic is free to help you (when he isn't doing side work) that's 8 x $15 = $120. If you don't waste time, have the blow-off flange or pipe you need welded and ready to mount it, all you need to do is keep track of where the vacuum lines go.

Shouldn't take more than 8 hours, start it up, check for leaks, upload the base tune and your done.

Any of the shops mentioned are either going to give you flat rate pricing or charge between $50-$100 an hour, if not more. Not to say that people if they don't have the time to do the work should not pay people who do quality work.

I cut a deal with Joe @Dream Garage to remove my broken engine, install my new used engine, turbo system and clutch (if I get one) all for one price. Because I'm a frequent customer I'm sure I might get a better deal than a complete stranger but overall he's a ex-GM heavy line mechanic who is making money anyway minding the store. So any side work is extra money.

If the OP PM's me I will tell him I sent you to talk to him about installing your turbo kit and he'll give you a price that can't be beaten.

None of this stuff is hard to do, taking the transmission down to replace the clutch is likely the hardest thing or removing the engine if you take it from the top and not a) remove it from the front (taking the bumper off) or dropping it down from the bottom using a lift.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts