Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am trying to help my son so I just joined this group. I appreciate any help :)

he has a 2013 and the #1 cyl ring set and a piston broke. He wants ti to upgrade from Stock but does not have mountains of cash. What do you suggest for a step above stock for Pistons/Rings/Pins/Rods? It does not look like this stuff is easy to come by or even inexpensive!

The engine has 100K on it so he plans on sending it out for all the necessary machining as well.

Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
8,384 Posts
Hi, I am trying to help my son so I just joined this group. I appreciate any help :)

he has a 2013 and the #1 cyl ring set and a piston broke. He wants ti to upgrade from Stock but does not have mountains of cash. What do you suggest for a step above stock for Pistons/Rings/Pins/Rods? It does not look like this stuff is easy to come by or even inexpensive!

The engine has 100K on it so he plans on sending it out for all the necessary machining as well.

Thanks again!
Well, there is a few decisions to be made.

What is your son going to do with the car? Bigger turbo? push past 450whp?

Overall, the cheapest route would be to get new OEM rods and aftermarket pistons.

If theres some more cash on the table, the 2.0 ecoboost and the 2.3 ecoboost have internals compatibility. So most of us build a 2.3 stroker. It requires a 2.3 crank, 2.3 rods, and we use the 2.0 pistons. It's more of a buy once cry once type deal. the 2.3 will be a nice upgrade across the board, performance wise that is.

Sucks you just missed all the memorial day sales. Edge autosports had 10 percent off and double rewards back. Really nice on larger purchases.

here's a list of 2.0 ecoboost internals from edge.

·
Premium Member
2017 Kona Blue ST1
332 Posts
I guess it really depends on what his overall goals are. Is this a stock configuration or has it been modified. There are a lot of articles here that cover a wide range options and configurations.

If it's a daily driver have you looked at a wrecked donor long block to just drop in and then later build the other one up?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
460 Posts
I guess it really depends on what his overall goals are. Is this a stock configuration or has it been modified. There are a lot of articles here that cover a wide range options and configurations.

If it's a daily driver have you looked at a wrecked donor long block to just drop in and then later build the other one up?
Good point about the long block. There's a guy in the parts-for-sale section here that usually has very low mileage long blocks for sale.

ETA: For example...

Reactions: SSgtjrobertson
1 - 4 of 4 Posts