Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
If they made either in a 2-door I'd have one. I refuse to buy a 4-door anything, other than a truck, where style doesn't really matter anyway. :mad:
Europe was lucky, last time I was there I saw a gorgeous orange RS in the lot at Sizewell. Would have loved to take it home, even with the RHD. Lol

·
Registered
386 Posts
I believe that the suspension setup is the same between those 2 years. The RS noticeably rides stiffer than the ST, even in normal mode. Yet, personally, it’s not too stiff for my daily commute. The firm ride is nice when you hit those twisty back roads!

Just curious, but what exactly does everyone mean by stiff or bumpy? I drove a ‘17 RS at CarMax about a month ago & when I was just driving it from light to light, I felt like I was just driving a normal Focus. The car seemed boring & quiet. Do you have to get it on the freeway before you start noticing a bouncier ride?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
397 Posts
Every review I read says that over roads that are not even that bad the RS transmits constant road-feel, bumps, ridges and far more road surface changes than other less aggressive cars. I take all of that with a grain of salt, because a lot of people are used to overly-muted rides. Also- many (most?) reviews of the Focus ST3 seats say that they are too narrow and confining, but I find them to be quite comfortable- so it will be quite subjective.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm biased because I think that I'm growing out of wanting/needing a sporty car to be my DD, but even if I were to go towards another sporty car, I wouldn't get a RS. I don't track cars and most of my driving is done while commuting back and forth to work. Features, interior quality, and comfortability is more important to me than performance is. That being said, I couldn't justice the RS price for the ST3 interior and features. The Golf R will be more reliable, more comfortable, (most likely) cheaper on insurance, will have more features, and a simple APR tune goes a long way. If you're looking to get a AWD hatchback, I'd recommend the Golf R.

That being said, I'd recommend taking a look at the Genesis G70 3.3t Sport. It's a sedan rather than a hatchback, but quality, performance, and reliability will blow the Golf R and RS out of the water and you'll also have something that you're not going to see every day. It rides on almost the same platform as the Kia Stinger GT and the 3.3t reacts very well to a JB4 tune. Like 420whp/520wtq well (it's an early tune, but you get the point). Or just get a Kia Stinger GT. Quality will be about on par with the Golf R.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like the OP, I also have a 2016 ST and am looking at the RS, a Golf R...or maybe even a SUV. I finally drove an RS last weekend and was rather impressed. I found the ride stiffness was not significantly different than my ST. The weather was typical November drizzling rainy, perfect for test driving an AWD car. In acceleration runs I found the RS hooked up very well easily outperforming the ST in wet where tire spin needs far more attention to throttle application. While pushing the RS far too hard around wet corners, it stuck (or 4 wheel drifted) while accelerating through the curves. To me, driving the RS was like driving an ST on steroids.

I have no doubt the RS would leave my ST far behind when racing, but it would, more importantly, allow me to continue driving in several inches of snow while the ST would be stuck once any significant uphill was encountered. I use my car for daily transportation and 2-3 trips to mountain trailheads each week. I'm at the point where weather, or sometimes ground clearance, is preventing me from accessing the trails where I want to hike. Trucks and SUV's are no where near as much fun to drive as my ST. Perhaps it's time to drive a used Audi SQ5?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey guys, I am thinking about either getting a Focus RS or a Golf R. I currently have a 2016 Focus ST. I live in Wisconsin and want something to be still fun and capable in the worst winters - I go skiing a lot. Is it worth the upgrade? The RS just seems really good for the price you pay on a low milage used one, but is very similar to the ST (from what ive read, never drove an RS)

So just wondering on your guys thoughts on either of these or if I should just run with the Focus ST...

Thanks
I just traded my paid off '18 ST3 for a stealth grey '17 RS2. It only has 10K miles on it vs the 14K on my ST3. I'll miss the ST, but I've always wanted the RS. Price wasn't bad at 32K. Got 17,488.00 trade for the ST3. It's in excellent shape. I only paid 23.9K for it brand new with 5 miles on it when Ford was blowing them out. I will miss the full leather and the carbon bits in the ST, but there are tons of interior mods I can get for the RS. It won't be my daily driver as I have the '07 F150 for daily duties. Looking forward to picking up the RS on 11-23.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just curious, but what exactly does everyone mean by stiff or bumpy?
RS spring rate is 40% higher than the ST and it shows in the handling performance. Since Ford gave the ST tunable electric shocks, you have a choice in how to adjust them, but they will ride more harsh than the ST and predictably bad on the higher settings. Many of the top autocrossers do not bother with the stiffest setting at all.

Also, it's possible that on a used car the electric shocks have been replaced with normal hydraulic shocks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would LOVE an RS- but what I end up doing is obsessing over my cars, and trying to keep the miles low to preserve their value. I planned on buying an RS and moved to the ST specifically because I wanted to drive it (autocross, and maybe a few track events) without thinking about the long-term value. I think the Focus RS will be collectible someday, but in my opinion, the Focus ST will not. I bought my 2017 ST(3) new (7 miles) in May of 2018 for $23,250 (plus tax title and tags)- not all that far away from half the price of a new RS at the time, so I think it's a decent compromise.
Not driving your car to keep the Mileage low is like saying you don’t F*** your wife to keep her P**** tight for the next guy. I’ve never bought a car with the thought of what’s the resale value gonna be. I drive my stuff. My 1930 model A drove it everyday of the summer first year built. My 15 ST has been on many long road trips with me and the lady. Anyways the RS is an incredible machine, it’s the ST the way it was meant to be. I didn’t notice much difference between it and my ST other than grip factor however I only drove it for 15-20min and had a salesman in the car but I drove spirited as the car was meant to be driven salesman or not in the passenger seat. However it’s not worth $37K or I would’ve bought it. That’s well within my budget. It’s just not worth it. You can get more power and reliability out of a used VW-R. The motors are just built better they can handle a lot of abuse.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Honestly, if I was the type that was over-the-top crazy on keeping my car showroom clean everyday, then I’d just forget about an RS & just drive a beater Focus SE. I know guys that all they do is clean & cover their cars 24/7 & they’re seemingly miserable to take their cars anywhere. If that works for them, then I don’t care, however I never want to be that way. If I spend 35k+ for an RS, then I’m going to drive the darn thing. I’m not going to be that guy to park it & hope to sell it in 15yrs for 60k, with 500 miles on it. At the end of the day, it’s a fast Ford
Focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Like the OP, I also have a 2016 ST and am looking at the RS, a Golf R...or maybe even a SUV. I finally drove an RS last weekend and was rather impressed. I found the ride stiffness was not significantly different than my ST. The weather was typical November drizzling rainy, perfect for test driving an AWD car. In acceleration runs I found the RS hooked up very well easily outperforming the ST in wet where tire spin needs far more attention to throttle application. While pushing the RS far too hard around wet corners, it stuck (or 4 wheel drifted) while accelerating through the curves. To me, driving the RS was like driving an ST on steroids.

I have no doubt the RS would leave my ST far behind when racing, but it would, more importantly, allow me to continue driving in several inches of snow while the ST would be stuck once any significant uphill was encountered. I use my car for daily transportation and 2-3 trips to mountain trailheads each week. I'm at the point where weather, or sometimes ground clearance, is preventing me from accessing the trails where I want to hike. Trucks and SUV's are no where near as much fun to drive as my ST. Perhaps it's time to drive a used Audi SQ5?
Might want to have a look around for a Polestar V60 used as they are quite the car as well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts