Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking about either getting a Focus RS or a Golf R. I currently have a 2016 Focus ST. I live in Wisconsin and want something to be still fun and capable in the worst winters - I go skiing a lot. Is it worth the upgrade? The RS just seems really good for the price you pay on a low milage used one, but is very similar to the ST (from what ive read, never drove an RS)

So just wondering on your guys thoughts on either of these or if I should just run with the Focus ST...

Thanks

·
Registered
368 Posts
It just takes the willingness to spend the money. The prices on the RS are almost at MSRP & many of them are 2-3yrs old. It’s nearly impossible to find a good deal on one of them. I just drove one at Carmax a month ago & they refused to drop the 37k price. I just laughed & walked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
368 Posts
I guess I’m just very picky, however what I’m seeing are cars with 25-35k miles on them, priced over 30k & have bounced around 2-3 owners, so I immediately pass on all of those. Then, by the time I weed out all of the lemons, salvage titles & reported accident cars, I’m left with a select few & those are typically around 35k & dealers won’t budge. The cylinder head gasket(s) are also a major issue & if you’re buying it from a non-Ford Dealer then they’re clueless on the issue.

I could go on & on about the RS & I love the car, but with the limited production, that typically means that you might have to be willing to travel to get one or buy sight unseen & trust an open-carrier to drive 1000+ miles & have your RS arrive like it looked in the photos. Risky & nerve racking considering shipping costs + title transfers etc.

·
Registered
171 Posts
IMO the RS is not worth the mark up. When Ford was deep discounting STs I bought mine. They had an RS on the showroom floor that had been there for over a year. I tried to talk them down to the top end of my budget, low to mid 30s, and they wouldn't budge.

It's OK, I'll take wrong wheel drive and 12K in my pocket. I wish Ford had made an AWD focus with the 2.0 ecoboost.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would LOVE an RS- but what I end up doing is obsessing over my cars, and trying to keep the miles low to preserve their value. I planned on buying an RS and moved to the ST specifically because I wanted to drive it (autocross, and maybe a few track events) without thinking about the long-term value. I think the Focus RS will be collectible someday, but in my opinion, the Focus ST will not. I bought my 2017 ST(3) new (7 miles) in May of 2018 for $23,250 (plus tax title and tags)- not all that far away from half the price of a new RS at the time, so I think it's a decent compromise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My ST was used- paid 18k for it has everything. But I can afford an RS or golf R now, just dont know if I should. I think that the RS will hold its value better y over the golf so im not sure which yet. But leaning towards the RS right now.
Ive seen a few that are about $28-29k with about 30k miles with one owner. Seems like a not half bad deal. its about 6-7k less than i see the 2018s selling for. Im just not sure on anyting quite yet.

Just with the RS, at the end of the day im paying for the extra performance, no better interior (worse actually as no more carbon fiber lol) and nothing else really. so trying to see if I should just stick with what I got or go to the top and stick with that for some time.

·
Registered
590 Posts
So just wondering on your guys thoughts on either of these or if I should just run with the Focus ST...
  • RS is definitely more money, like $10k-15k for similar number of miles. Whether the value is there, only you can decide.
  • FoST has better fuel economy and thus the 12 gallon gas tank actually lasts to a minimally acceptable number of miles when you travel.
  • FoRS does not have a real spare tire; you only get a spraycan of inflator goo.
  • FoST is arguably a better balanced chassis, but the FoRS has stiffer springs and thus can make use of more cornering traction in stock form. When autocrossing in Street, the FoST setup is to install a mildly rear swaybar with improved endlinks and run with the nannies turned off. The FoRS setup is to run a mildly stiffer front swaybar (harder to install) and run with the nannies turned off. FoRS has launch mode, but you have to keep flipping the menu while waiting to launch.
  • FoRS factory wheel size is 19", so tires will cost more than the FoST's 18" tires do.
  • If you don't fit the Recaros of an ST2 or ST3, then the FoRS is not for you.
  • 2018 FoRS added a Quaife differential, so should be better than 2016-7, but it is classed in BS for autocross instead of DS.
  • Check with your insurance agent to see if there's a difference in rates.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have AAA & called recently on insurance rates, 2018 FoST vs. 2017 FoRS. Gave them the VIN for both vehicles & it was a fixed rate. My annual premium would increase $250 with the FoST & $600 more for the FoRS. High insurance rates, fuel costs & annual maintenance, all make the FoRS a pretty big investment, especially since you’ll have to write a check for a minimum of $28-30k + fees for a low mileage, clean title car.

Also, the ST3 full black leather seats by far look the best & are much easier to clean. As mentioned, the seats are snug, so if you’re a big guy or over a 34 waist, it might not be comfortable for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Insurance is almost the same (with in a few buck a month) so no concern there. Its just is hard to know if it’s worth the upgrade.
Closest ones are a few hours from me so I kinda want to be serious before checking them out

and I have ST3 and I think the seats are fine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You don’t drive 2+hrs away for a car if you’re just window shopping. If an RS is 200+miles away & you want the car, then all pics, videos, sale price etc. is done over the phone & the deal is set in place via email, pending a final walk-around & test drive.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As someone who was in your position this summer and found a pristine 2017 RS2 for a good price, I would say it is worth it.

I did the Octane Academy in August and found my RS posted at a Jax, FL dealership on my flight home, which is where I was flying into to drive home.

I left with the RS that night and sold my ST in September. No regrets. No matter what anyone says, there is no real comparison in the cars when it comes to handling and feel. The ST is good, the RS is magnificent.

Ride quality is a bit less for daily driving than the ST, but is still not bad. Updating a 2016-2017 with the revised struts from the mid to late model 2018 takes care of that. About $1000 for all four corners.

The ST truly is a great and fun car. You have to decide if it is worth the upgrade. For me it 100% is if you can find one in good shape for a good price.

·
Registered
368 Posts
As someone who was in your position this summer and found a pristine 2017 RS2 for a good price, I would say it is worth it.

I did the Octane Academy in August and found my RS posted at a Jax, FL dealership on my flight home, which is where I was flying into to drive home.

I left with the RS that night and sold my ST in September. No regrets. No matter what anyone says, there is no real comparison in the cars when it comes to handling and feel. The ST is good, the RS is magnificent.

Ride quality is a bit less for daily driving than the ST, but is still not bad. Updating a 2016-2017 with the revised struts from the mid to late model 2018 takes care of that. About $1000 for all four corners.

The ST truly is a great and fun car. You have to decide if it is worth the upgrade. For me it 100% is if you can find one in good shape for a good price.

Congrats on the RS! I love the car & one of the main reasons I’m so in love with it, well, it’s because of how mean it looks with that rear wing, exhaust & front-end. Nothing on the road looks like it & I love driving something different. As cool as the ST is, it still kinda blends in with traffic & looks somewhat like a regular Focus but with upgraded wheels.

If you don’t mind me asking, how far was the drop-off on MPGs vs. the ST?

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
....Nothing on the road looks like it & I love driving something different. As cool as the ST is, it still kinda blends in with traffic & looks somewhat like a regular Focus but with upgraded wheels...
I too think the RS is an awesome car and it does stand out on the road and in parking lots - love seeing them!

Ford’s marketing folks would probably find our conversation interesting. One of the things that drew me to the ST was exactly what you see as a detractor - it looks like a regular Focus with upgraded wheels!! 😀

“No matter how good you are, don't ever let them see you coming.” - John Milton (Devil’s Advocate) 😄

·
Registered
120 Posts
Congrats on the RS! I love the car & one of the main reasons I’m so in love with it, well, it’s because of how mean it looks with that rear wing, exhaust & front-end. Nothing on the road looks like it & I love driving something different. As cool as the ST is, it still kinda blends in with traffic & looks somewhat like a regular Focus but with upgraded wheels.

If you don’t mind me asking, how far was the drop-off on MPGs vs. the ST?

I don't really track it, other than by the car's own gauge. My ST typically sat around 26-27 mpg. The RS sits around 24.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts