Ford Focus ST Forum banner

Update piston rings

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  8FOCUSD 
#1 ·
Hello all, firstly I appreciate everything this community has to offer so much help down the road I have been on.
So i am at a loss, while going around 140 mph "on track" I had lost alot of power and noticed alot of white\grey smoke. No CEL, Cobb AP says p0300 0301 0304 cylinder misfires.
After doing research no coolant loss or in oil, i found oil in the intake.

#2 ·
You're gonna need a compression test... It could be a few things, but you'll be pulling the spark plugs for the compression test anyways so you can check them then (or sooner isn't a bad idea if you can't get the tester immediately).

How many miles on the car? What mods have been done?

#4 ·
Well that's both good & bad news. Still under warranty = good. Cylinder 1 (at least) is probably in bad shape = bad.
I think it's a big weekend for many of the mods & techs that are active here so you may need to wait until tomorrow for some more in-depth t/s from the guys a bit more in 'the-know' on this platform. Sounds like you should schedule a trip to the dealership soon though 😔 Sorry to hear your ST couldn't handle the track... It does sound like you were having a blast though!

Reactions: Coolpool and W4R
#5 ·
Hello all, firstly I appreciate everything this community has to offer so much help down the road I have been on.
So i am at a loss, while going around 140 mph "on track" I had lost alot of power and noticed alot of white\grey smoke. No CEL, Cobb AP says p0300 0301 0304 cylinder misfires.
Sounds like head gasket too me I could be wrong though. It also could be a piston ring white smoke typically means oil. If you have low compression it's either your head gasket or a piston ring or even a piston. I hope it's just your gasket in this case best of luck to you..

#8 ·
Lots of white smoke... As in blueish tinted white or very bright white smoke?
I say, you cant really get ahead of yourself until you do a compression test, then with those results use a little oil to do a wet compression test. After that do a leakdown test. And remember that the very first cranks to build up compression are most important. A cylinder that takes long to build compression might have other issues else where that a leakdown test will show. Take a look inside the cylinders with a powerful light and see if it has any fluid inside them.

It can be a few things, oil ring or piston ring,...valve seals...etc... Let us know what happens

#9 ·
If you're seeing oil on your plugs, getting misfire CELs, and you saw grey looking smoke, it's probably leaning towards failed ringlands/pistons.

Do a compression test, you'll probably be finding that your compression isn't what it should be on Cyl. 1. If that's the case, you'll be needing engine repair.

Being that you're tuned (Cobb AP), were you monitoring any parameters during this event? Your cylinders were probably screaming negative corrections.

#10 ·
You blew your motor I got the same ones on mine and it struggles to idle right?

#11 ·

Update comp test results dry and wet at 2500 ft elevation

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.