Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an update to a previous post...

It's taken almost three weeks and three different "repairs" to my car. The second repair was to replace the throttle body. The CEL continued to come on every other day or so for a week. The more I drove the car, the worse it became. I finally went back to the dealership since they hadn't called me in almost a week. They said they hadn't heard from Ford and without a code they couldn't do anything...well, as it happened, the CEL came on right after I left the dealership. I bucked it back and they got their code, P2135, same as before.

They said they checked all the wiring connections and circuits and sensors and finally Ford said to replace the PCM. I've had it since Thursday evening and so far no problems. Something does seem different about the car, but I can't quite put my finger on what that thing is. Maybe it's because I was driving an F-150 truck as a rental for a week...

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Everyone

After having my ST "repaired" at two dealerships for the same problem three times, it has happened again after driving the car for 1600 miles. CEL and engine stall while slowing down at a light. I managed to get it started again and bucked it about a mile to my house. The last repair was in July. Ron Carter Ford in Alvin replaced the PCM and the throttle body. The car wasn't the same after the last repair...idles weird, there's a lull or drag shifting from 2nd to 3rd, clutch doesn't engage the same...the CEL goes off after I restart. Last time I was told they can't do anything without a code and apparently the code clears when I restart it. I have another appointment Tuesday morning.

How can I keep having the same issue for months? Why can't they fix this? I have to have a reliable car. Can someone please tell me what is wrong with my car?

Thanks,
K

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
What year is the ST?
There was an issue regarding the wire harness on some years. A recall was issued.
Good Luck

·
Registered
62 Posts
This sucks to hear, and I look forward to hearing what happens. I fear I may fall into similar situation. I have a 2013 ST3 that had the harness TSB performed a few years ago to deal with a intermittent stalling and loss of power. Ran without issue since. Last week though, I just had a set of Recall Services performed, one of which was the official 14S17 Wire Harness Recall. After getting the car back, it felt pretty sluggish. Checked some connections on the intake, and adjusted the reducer on my intake tube because it seemed pinched from the reinstall they did. I baby it, and eventually a CEL popped on, and it drives even crappier, definitely struggling to accelerate. I took it back to dealer, and they confirm it is throwing a code for a Cam sensor (?), and insist it has nothing to do with the harness service they just did. :/ Its going back in to them for diagnostic Tuesday, which I am not thrilled about since the car is well out of warranty.

Good luck

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
2013 ST3 Wiring harness was replaced in 2014.

K
Was the harness actually replaced or did they just do the two splices? If they did not do the complete replacement, you definitely need to have all (7) splices redone and also the (4) grounds (under the air box and battery) as they were notorious for painting the chassis and the metal to metal termination was not the best if at all. I had to do all of this for my 2013 as well and it drives like a different car. They still us the same ****ty type of harness splice harness today. SIStomper has put in postings for both issues.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-...-randomly-stalling-idling-wierd-read-249.html

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Cowlynz, slow-cus, and DoubleD

Ron Carter Ford replaced the wiring harness in 2014 right after the recall came out.

I sometimes listen to the radio in the car with the engine off. After a few minutes, the radio will shut down. It started to shut off after a minute or so with a message saying it was turning off to save battery power. So I replaced the battery back in April with an Interstate battery.

In June: Had the oil changed and the tires rotated. A couple of days later I got an erroneous "low washer fluid" warning. Two weeks later, while out in the country, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. Engine would turn over and the car shuddered and shook like a roller coaster. Engine malfunction Service Now light on. It started the next day for the tow truck driver. The CEL was off but the little amber engine light was on. Car was towed to Yoakum Texas and the CEL no power, no acceleration, jerking, etc happened again when the tow truck driver was getting it off the truck. The dealership there put some wire mesh thing around wiring that goes across the intake manifold and said it was fixed. Codes 2111 and 2135.

120 miles or so later, while cruising down I-10, the car jerked and the CEL came on again. I got it off the interstate to a parking lot but just barely. It almost stalled on me. Turned the ignition off, CEL went away. Drove it 50 miles home, dropped the dogs off and went straight to Ron Carter Ford. It did it there. Code 2135. They said it was the throttle body took three days to get it replaced. Same thing the very next day. They couldn't get a code off of it so I continued to drive it to work and short distances from home. With each passing day, the car's performance deteriorated . It crapped out on me several more times until I finally got it to the dealership with the CEL on. This time the car stalled as I pulled off the road. CEL remained on after restart. Code was 2135. Ford said to replace the PCM.

From July to the end of August I can tell you this is NOT the car I bought. Everything just feels different. The acceleration is sluggish, there's some kind of drag shifting gears, especially from 2nd to 3rd, fluctuation in RPM while idling sometimes down to 500 or up to 1500 RPMs at a stop light, weird clutch engagement. I told the service guys this when I took it in to fix the sun roof drain (they didn't fix that either).

A couple of weeks ago, I got an erroneous Headlamp Malfunction warning. Nothing wrong with the headlights. Then it stalls on me while slowing down to stop at a red light. Engine stalled when I pushed the clutch in and the ENGINE MALFUNCTION SERVICE NOW light on yet again. I barely got it started and limped it a mile or so home. I tried to go to church this morning but I can tell by how it's driving it's going to happen again. And....while sitting in my driveway listening to the radio with the engine off, it shut down to save power again...

I know nothing about cars but I have felt from the beginning that this is an electrical problem, not a mechanical one.

2600 miles from the replaced PCM...I feel like crying...

Thanks,
Kathleen

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thank you Cowlynz, slow-cus, and DoubleD

Ron Carter Ford replaced the wiring harness in 2014 right after the recall came out.

I sometimes listen to the radio in the car with the engine off. After a few minutes, the radio will shut down. It started to shut off after a minute or so with a message saying it was turning off to save battery power. So I replaced the battery back in April with an Interstate battery.

In June: Had the oil changed and the tires rotated. A couple of days later I got an erroneous "low washer fluid" warning. Two weeks later, while out in the country, I went to start the car and it wouldn't start. Engine would turn over and the car shuddered and shook like a roller coaster. Engine malfunction Service Now light on. It started the next day for the tow truck driver. The CEL was off but the little amber engine light was on. Car was towed to Yoakum Texas and the CEL no power, no acceleration, jerking, etc happened again when the tow truck driver was getting it off the truck. The dealership there put some wire mesh thing around wiring that goes across the intake manifold and said it was fixed. Codes 2111 and 2135.

120 miles or so later, while cruising down I-10, the car jerked and the CEL came on again. I got it off the interstate to a parking lot but just barely. It almost stalled on me. Turned the ignition off, CEL went away. Drove it 50 miles home, dropped the dogs off and went straight to Ron Carter Ford. It did it there. Code 2135. They said it was the throttle body took three days to get it replaced. Same thing the very next day. They couldn't get a code off of it so I continued to drive it to work and short distances from home. With each passing day, the car's performance deteriorated . It crapped out on me several more times until I finally got it to the dealership with the CEL on. This time the car stalled as I pulled off the road. CEL remained on after restart. Code was 2135. Ford said to replace the PCM.

From July to the end of August I can tell you this is NOT the car I bought. Everything just feels different. The acceleration is sluggish, there's some kind of drag shifting gears, especially from 2nd to 3rd, fluctuation in RPM while idling sometimes down to 500 or up to 1500 RPMs at a stop light, weird clutch engagement. I told the service guys this when I took it in to fix the sun roof drain (they didn't fix that either).

A couple of weeks ago, I got an erroneous Headlamp Malfunction warning. Nothing wrong with the headlights. Then it stalls on me while slowing down to stop at a red light. Engine stalled when I pushed the clutch in and the ENGINE MALFUNCTION SERVICE NOW light on yet again. I barely got it started and limped it a mile or so home. I tried to go to church this morning but I can tell by how it's driving it's going to happen again. And....while sitting in my driveway listening to the radio with the engine off, it shut down to save power again...

I know nothing about cars but I have felt from the beginning that this is an electrical problem, not a mechanical one.

2600 miles from the replaced PCM...I feel like crying...

Thanks,
Kathleen
If your battery is dying again, you might want to have someone check your car's alternator output and for parasitic losses in your electrical system. I've noticed that both our STs and the EcoBoost Mustangs run like crap and start to exhibit strange behavior when the battery power is low, alternator is going bad, and/or having parasitic loss issues.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an appt. Tuesday as well and I look forward to hear what they tell you. Ford is well aware of the issues with this model car. I'm betting I'm told "we can't do anything without a code." And I know they're going to be overloaded with cars due to all the flooding last week. I'm glad I bought an extended warranty. The car was fine until 44K miles. This is worse than my Saturn...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I was told the car threw multiple codes...needs serious tune up...spark plugs, wires, etc. They are doing that today. Question for everyone: would this cause the car to stall and go into limp mode? Are they BSing me? I told the tech that it has felt like it was tuned wrong ever since they replaced the PCM in early July...

Thanks
K

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can't speak from ST experience, but a previous car I owned had spark plug wires that were going bad, causing intermittent choppy idle and hesitant driveability. Replaced them and issue was solved. So it is possible - and hopefully it solves your issue. Otherwise, I agree with screzzy. When I hear a "major blah blah is needed" from a shop or dealer, my initial thought is that they are just about to throw a bunch of parts at something and hope it fixes it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The "service representative" told me it threw multiple misfire codes but the only one he gave me was P0316. Thinking back on it, it has backfired a few times the last couple of months. The guys at work said they're feeding me a line of BS and I'm afraid they may be right. Their advice is to get rid of the car as soon as possible. Ron Carter replaced the PCM the first part of July, why were the crappy spark plugs not replaced then? Aren't they supposed to last to 100K? I was told the brake pads were worn when I had the oil changed in June, then they were fine when the throttle body was replaced later in June, now they're bad again. Rear brakes need replacing, and I don't mean the pads. I had the front brakes done last November. Long road trip planned for Saturday. I've already told them this car had better make it there and back...

Despondent in Texas
K

Has anyone here ever called Ford Customer Care?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been a couple of weeks since the car was in the shop for the tune up...

It made it on my long day trip and seemed like my old car for about five days and then I noticed a slight shudder and I began to have the idle issue again. It lasted 11 days before it stalled again on my way home from work. I had a hard time getting it started again. Same thing as before. It's back at Ron Carter and now I'm told it's the purge valve.

So in three months I've had the throttle body replaced, the PCM and throttle body replaced, new spark plugs and now a purge valve. What next? I googled purge valve and found this same issue being addressed on ST Nation. A guy posting there had the same issue and he's had the same parts replaced in the same order as I have. He's ahead of me in that he's also had a BCM replaced.

I contacted Ford Customer Care and gave them the run down on the last three months. I've been given a case number and it's going before a review board...

I'm now in the market for a new car. I need something that I can put three dog crates in. Any suggestions?

Kathleen

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
It's been a couple of weeks since the car was in the shop for the tune up...

It made it on my long day trip and seemed like my old car for about five days and then I noticed a slight shudder and I began to have the idle issue again. It lasted 11 days before it stalled again on my way home from work. I had a hard time getting it started again. Same thing as before. It's back at Ron Carter and now I'm told it's the purge valve.

So in three months I've had the throttle body replaced, the PCM and throttle body replaced, new spark plugs and now a purge valve. What next? I googled purge valve and found this same issue being addressed on ST Nation. A guy posting there had the same issue and he's had the same parts replaced in the same order as I have. He's ahead of me in that he's also had a BCM replaced.

I contacted Ford Customer Care and gave them the run down on the last three months. I've been given a case number and it's going before a review board...

I'm now in the market for a new car. I need something that I can put three dog crates in. Any suggestions?

Kathleen
In response to the last sentence, where you asked for suggestions, lemon law. If they give grief about lemon law then tell the dealer who sold it to you that you're going to lemon law it and see if they won't buy it back from you. You bought the car to drive it, you aren't driving it. Therefore you're paying close to $30,000 for a 3,232lb paper weight.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Per Texas Lemon Law rules, she has up to 2 years/24,000 miles from when she purchased the vehicle. Since she has a 2013, she is well beyond those parameters. :(

How long do I have to file a complaint?
A Lemon Law complaint must be filed within six months following the earlier of:
1. expiration of the express warranty term;
2. 24 months; or
3. 24,000 miles following the date of delivery of the vehicle (except TRVs).
In other words, the filing period is determined by which of the above events occurs
first.
More info: https://www.google.com/search?q=lem...0.69i59j0l5.3484j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

At this point, I would recommend she use the dealer to get the car "repaired" under warranty as best as Ford can do, and then trade it in on another vehicle. If she likes the ST, and doesn't feel burned by the experience of getting a rotten one, then another ST might be the answer. And her Ford dealership's sales manager should be made aware of the issues with her other ST, her frustrations, and state that she would like to stay with Ford if she can get a good deal on both the trade and the new purchase.

Otherwise, if she is done with Ford, check out the VW GTI (worthy competitor for a hot hatch) or Honda Civic Sport hatch (weird styling in my opinion, not nearly as fun as the ST, but likely to be more reliable than Ford or VW). Both will have more cargo room than the ST which should work fine for your dog crates if you already have them in the ST.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the updated update...

I've been meaning to post for a week now, but things here have been rather tricky...thanks for all the suggestions. Lemon laws don't apply now as the car is too old (Texas lemon laws are for 2 yrs, 24 mo.) and Ford has denied my request for a buy back. The regional manager for Ford Customer Care wants me to take it to another dealer and have a specific tech look at the car. Fine, but they have no rentals or loaners at the moment due to all the flooded cars from last month.

In the mean time, I got the car back from Ron Carter Ford with the new purge valve on Sept. 23 and the next day, while sitting in the car with the door open, I noticed the little "i" was flashing red. Never seen that before and hasn't done it since. And yesterday the car stalled on me again with the service engine now light on.

I still think that this is an electrical issue and not a mechanical one. Wonder what code will show up this time??? Will keep everyone here posted on what happens next.

Kathleen

1 - 20 of 23 Posts