Ford Focus ST Forum banner
21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
@Lucada If I purchase the cobb accessport how should I approach it? I have zero tuning experience but like you said safe > sorry. I would like to at least know what the programming is doing.

Is the accessport a safeish item for a no tuning experience person like myself? Really would like to keep this vehicle reliable and fun.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,523 Posts
@Lucada If I purchase the cobb accessport how should I approach it? I have zero tuning experience but like you said safe > sorry. I would like to at least know what the programming is doing.

Is the accessport a safeish item for a no tuning experience person like myself? Really would like to keep this vehicle reliable and fun.
You don't actually do the tuning. You use it to load tunes and take datalogs.

You'd buy the accessport and a tune from one of the many reputable tuners for this platform. Often times they offer bundles where you purchase the AP and one of their custom tunes along with it. Make sure you have an aftermarket intercooler on the car first.

·
Registered
2018 Focus ST Magnetic Metallic
149 Posts
There a tons of threads about tunes. The safest way to go is probably OEM Ford. Next step is an Accessport with a tune from Stratified, Monster, or someone else (Those are the ones I'm familiar with). The accessport is easy to use and if you follow the instructions during the first install, youll be fine (most important part is to make sure you have battery tender on to not run out of juice during the install).

Reactions: ezeefpv and TurboGT

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Even with a new AP purchased if the tune on the pcm is from another vendor SCT, hptuners, ect its possible to brick the ECU. Better safe than sorry always applies. But some general investigation and the fact it hadn't blown up from at the dealership. (assuming you bought it from a dealer as you don't know previous mods.) Short of you being the first person to see the ST and buy it, its been test driven and I've not seen anyone take it easy on a test drive in a performance car of any type. check the STFT and LTFT. if your still worried go to your dealer and pay for a pcm flash for peace of mind.

Reactions: ezeefpv

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Again people, you all have been awesome. I much appreciate it. I think for safety I will have the pcm/ecu flashed to ford stock before I get an accessport. I still wonder though if the dealer would be able to figure out if it has been modified. Yes, I did buy it pre-owned from a ford dealership and got a good enough deal on it that I didn't mind taking on the project. Is it possible that a tuner (person/equipment) can reflash the pcm/ecu between modded and stock ford without the dealership?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
as far as I know only ford can tell if a pcm has been flashed. but not all dealerships can (based on google-fu)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Clearing the paint off the calipers is on the list. Going to fix the dash a bit since I get air blowing at my feet without the foot option selected.

While I am in the dash I'm going to poke around. There is an Alpine iLX-207 headunit installed and steering wheel controls are maintained so I'm hoping that the idatalink module was used which means obd2 communication between the headunit and vehicle. And that would be awesome!

There is some gunk I spotted on the right front control arms so I'm hoping a good cleaning will reveal minor maintenance but just the same will be getting to it asap.

I plan on 3D printing this Intake snorkel in PETG and maybe taulman alloy it just depends. I am patiently looking for the stock closed airbox lid and would happily trade the rs one I have for it but for now the lid is not a detrimental issue.

Aside from the front fascia and rear bumper needing some love I plan to wrap the whole vehicle in a blue close to the RS blue.

Engine tuning for now is bottom of the list and while it has an aftermarket intercooler it doesn't seem to respond to that 5-way map test so I'm assuming for now it's ford stock tune.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sure enough, it looks like I will barely be able to fit an 18 inch rim in there. With the 20 inch rim now there's maybe a four/five finger gap between the fartherst point of the caliper and the inside of the 20 inch rim. Thanks for the heads up. I have a spare 18 inch rim I can use to "test fit" for clearance and as long as I can get the right 18 inch then I will be happy...just want more tire meat.

As for getting under the vehicle and going through the nitty gritty it will take some time. I stay plenty busy with family, work and other existing hobbies.
Factory wheels were 18's...the aforementioned "snowflake" style.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Got some wrenching in today with what little time I can steal.

Installed my new headlights. I still was not happy with the light pattern from the halogen reflector headlights so I purchased some halogen projector lights. I know there are purists that say projectors should be used with proper bulbs (d2s etc.) but I have the same setup on my '19 ridgeline (halogen projector headlight) and I still prefer that over my wife's LED headlights on her '19 pilot.

Anyways, I picked up this set of headlights because I liked the look and it was halogen projector for both the low and high beam.

Got it installed fairly quickly with all my hyper yellow bulbs everywhere. The DRL at first did not come on like the factory lights but digging around I found that there are two wires inside the headlight. Green and white. If the white is connected to white then it acts as running lights only. If the green wire is connected to white then it acts as DRL and dims when the running lights are switched on. Tonight will be its first run and I hope to see a much more respectable light pattern (with cutoffs) compared to the reflector bowls.

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Car Hood

Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Tire Vehicle

Car Grille Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood

Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle Car Grille

Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle Grille Tire

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Car Wheel Grille

And finally, as I suspected and hoped, I was able to find the obd2 connector for the Alpine headunit interface. Basically the dealership had disconnected it to install their own obd2 powered gps/lte tracker. Why? I don't know, I don't care and it will be tossed or simply left to live with a dead battery.

But for now the Alpine is doubling as extra gauges (gauges limited to obd2).
Plant Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got my rims and tires in the mail during the past week. Got it installed today and completely happy! Compared to the 20s with low profile tires this setup has a bit more cushion for bumps and I don't feel like I'm going to hit a bump just right and bend the rim or just "run out of sidewall".

Enkei TS-5 18x8.5 +40
General G-Max AS-05 255/40/18
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

It's dirty because a short rainfall came through the area.

As a reference, I have used a similar setup before on my old xrunner:
Enkei Kojin 18x9.5 +35
General G-Max AS-03 245/45/18
And I was happy with that setup too so I just went with what I knew I liked :)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Window

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
Got busy late Friday afternoon and nearing completion today (Saturday).

Some goodies arrived in the mail so I got to wrenching.

Cobb 300cell downpipe and fswerks stealth exhaust
Automotive exhaust Bicycle part Air gun Trigger Muffler

I didn't take pics of the mishimoto intake new but that came in as well. When I went to remove the stock air filter system I was a bit peeved to see this:
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Bumper Automotive exterior

That's the pcv plug. Why it was tapped I am not sure. I did a quick repair job because I wasn't expecting to have to do other things in this area. This is the best I can do until I can slot time to do it correctly which would involve actual soldering and heatshrink tubing so that will come at a later date.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Tread

Finished it up with some good old cloth tape and it's good enough for now.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

Got the intake installed and it freed up enough room compared to the stock air system for me to reach around to the back and unplug the o2 sensors for the downpipe. It was still a P.I.T.A. but it got done.
Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

Hood Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Had to start with getting the old exhaust stuff out.
Wood Reptile Automotive exterior Road surface Asphalt

Yes, that is what was on the ST when I got it.

Downpipe got installed first of course and it's amazing how much more room is available now.
Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

I was surprised that the downpipe I got didn't have the hangers welded on. It's a separate piece that requires some nuts and bolts.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Synthetic rubber

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Gas Automotive exterior

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Shoe Light Sports equipment Automotive lighting Automotive tire

After the downpipe was in the exhaust followed suit.
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Automotive design Fender Rim

Automotive tire Gas Auto part Metal Automotive wheel system

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Automotive lighting

Started it up and went for a test drive. No CELs (surprisingly) and the noise level has been reduced (the main goal) overall. It has a nice deeper tone now and my wife says she prefers it to the old stuff that was on there.

Now I need to get this thing installed.
Luggage and bags Packing materials Bag Automotive exterior Bumper

Installation underway
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Gadget Communication Device Gas Audio equipment Font

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
The ap install went without a hitch. It's still on the stage0 map until I can figure out which tuner to go with. I bought the ap without a tune package so still looking. Also, the previous owner/s had installed a mountune rear motor mount so that's another bit I don't have to worry about.

2867 and aux fuel will be the end goal and until then I now have a bit of ease about fixing other minor stuff along the way 😁

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
7,523 Posts
Nice exhaust choice!

As far as the PCV plug. That looks more like Rodent damage to me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Nice exhaust choice!

As far as the PCV plug. That looks more like Rodent damage to me.
If that is the case it was a long time ago since the wires looked like they had been exposed for a good time. "Where's my engine bay electric fence!" 😄

I am definitely enjoying the exhaust a whole lot more. Deeper tone, seems more docile until you start getting up into the rpms and even then the drone is significantly reduced compared to the straight pipes. Not knocking straight pipes, I'm just over the increased cabin noise.

I drove my ridgeline to the autoparts store the other day and I especially enjoyed the quiet cabin so my age is starting to show :p

I found an stl file online for an accessport mount. 3D printed two (left and right) since the original model was made for RHD.
Rectangle Circuit component Composite material Gas Auto part

Fits like a glove. It even went on with a snap.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Steering wheel Steering part

Mounted into the vent it was designed for.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

And the viewing angle.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

The viewing angle is not the greatest so time permitting I will be opening the file in some software and try to tweak it for a more optimal viewing angle. For now it's something.

EDIT: Started making some changes to the original file. Still needs a bit more downward angle and just a bit more rotation toward the drivers face. Getting close.
Wheel Car Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Mirror

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Attachments

21 - 40 of 63 Posts