Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2017 KB ST1
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Just picked up a brand new 2017 ST1 in Kona Blue. I have always wanted an ST since I purchased my 2014 SE hatch (aka Stella), and now own one way sooner then expected. My old Focus had the tendency, as many others do, of eating its clutch. After getting the clutch replaced for the third time at 62,000 miles, which I figured would be under warranty and so didn't the dealership, I found out that my car will not fall under the 100,000 mile clutch and TCM replacement and that I would have to pay for clutches. The service adviser did the repair for free (they owed me but that's another story) but with a strong word of advice to ditch the car ASAP. My car was literally outside of the extended warranty Ford implemented and the planned upcoming class action lawsuit buy back by a month, a freaking month!
I loved Stella and hated to put her down, I was ok with the fact it would need new clutches because everything else about the car was perfect, but having to pay for new clutches was a deal breaker. Went looking for a normal Focus hatch with a manual, found out they only offered that up to 2014 so looked at other hatchback choices but didn't like my choices. My awesome wife is the one that pushed me to take the plunge and buy a ST. After doing lots of research and shopping around I was able to get a VERY good deal on a brand new 2017 ST1 in Kona Blue from a dealership almost two hours away.
Now the confession... That almost two hour drive home was my first time driving a manual outside of a parking lot (which was a 2008 Tacoma). To say the least it was an interesting drive home! After putting about 300 miles on her this past week I am getting the hang of it and it is a freaking blast to drive!

RIP Stella
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Automotive design

Hello Penelope
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Hatchback Hot hatch

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Congrats... best way to learn... manuals now a days are pretty easy to pick up.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Finding a manual SE would have been difficult anyway as they only seemed to be stocked with stripper sedans. I had to order mine and it took 10 weeks. The ST is a much better car in most ways, anyway. I thought it was just an SE with more power and tighter suspension, but I find it feels more special that. This is a pretty easy car to learn a manual on, too. Enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice color, but I'm biased (2016 Kona Blue ST3) A question I do have is was the SE a manual? I ask because you reference clutch replacement, but say driving the ST was the first time driving a manual outside of a parking lot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 KB ST1
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome

Siktl- I had the dual clutch transmission in my focus se. So it wasn't my fault they were eating themselves up. At least if this clutch dies it's my own fault haha

Dutchess- yea I looked everywhere (up to two hours away) for an se with a manual transmission. I found one. A brand new 2014 hatch that had been sitting on the lot since well 2014. Price was about the same as what I paid for my ST. And the st does feel like a completely different car. Can't wait to get past the brake in period and open her up.

So far so good on driving it. Being in traffic on a hill is still a little bit difficult haha ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts