Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had very fruitful conversation with tech support at Sunoco.

My question was is there any advantage to running Sunoco 260 GT Plus which has 10% Ethanol in it vs. Pump E85 blended with 91 octane at 30-40%?

I've been talking to somebody at CP/Carrillo for the past couple of months about another subject I will disclose soon. But he was telling me that he gets his E85 from Person fuels, the main supplier of E85 in California. His fuel tested 72% Ethanol, not 85% and not the claimed 83% that Sistomper said was mandated in California, hmmm.

Turns out E30/E40% adds 10% oxygen to the car while 260 GT Plus adds 5%. This is where your power increase comes from running these fuels. It's also why your enrichment tables have to be adjusted.

I don't have a content analyzer in the car, so I'm going off what I do with a empty tank. What happens if I need to top off though? I don't run my car hard constantly and had been using 91 octane with my E30/E40 tunes anyway when I'm just driving around, doing Uber etc because I get much better fuel economy. Speaking of which means I must pump more into the tank for a trip to Famoso Raceway near Bakersfield because I was unable to find any E85 pumps up there.

Goals:

• Get back some economy so I can run less fuel at the track = less weight, every little bit helps.
  • Help with high speed timing retard that is hindering performance via improving burn rate and higher energy content.

Has anybody actually had their car tuned for race gas while on the stock turbo?

·
Administrator
11,920 Posts
I had very fruitful conversation with tech support at Sunoco.

My question was is there any advantage to running Sunoco 260 GT Plus which has 10% Ethanol in it vs. Pump E85 blended with 91 octane at 30-40%?

I've been talking to somebody at CP/Carrillo for the past couple of months about another subject I will disclose soon. But he was telling me that he gets his E85 from Person fuels, the main supplier of E85 in California. His fuel tested 72% Ethanol, not 85% and not the claimed 83% that Sistomper said was mandated in California, hmmm.

Turns out E30/E40% adds 10% oxygen to the car while 260 GT Plus adds 5%. This is where your power increase comes from running these fuels. It's also why your enrichment tables have to be adjusted.

I don't have a content analyzer in the car, so I'm going off what I do with a empty tank. What happens if I need to top off though? I don't run my car hard constantly and had been using 91 octane with my E30/E40 tunes anyway when I'm just driving around, doing Uber etc because I get much better fuel economy. Speaking of which means I must pump more into the tank for a trip to Famoso Raceway near Bakersfield because I was unable to find any E85 pumps up there.

Goals:

• Get back some economy so I can run less fuel at the track = less weight, every little bit helps.
  • Help with high speed timing retard that is hindering performance via improving burn rate and higher energy content.

Has anybody actually had their car tuned for race gas while on the stock turbo?
I thought about it once. Sunoco 260gt 100 oct is local. So is Ethanol now though. I'm not going to bother, the K03 is lame, lol.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts