Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm helping a friend replace the header/exhaust manifold/catalytic converter. Where the header attaches to the exhaust pipe, one (of three) of the bolts is pretty seized. I've already rounded off the bold and the nut :( Will a dremel tool with the right cutting wheel cut that bolt off, or is there a tool that will grab a hold of the rounded nut/bolt and break it loose? What would you guys try? Either way, I gotta go buy something; if it's a dremel to cut it off or a rounded bolt head tool to continue to try and break it lose and back it out. Thoughts, tips, suggestions!!

If it matters (shouldn't), this is on a '02 Lexus IS 300 where the catalytic converter/header attaches to the exhaust pipe under the car.

·
Registered
848 Posts
they make special sockets for stripped nut/bolts.

a dremel can cut it off if you really want to take the time with it.

id some penetrating oil, and id try putting some heat to it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
There are nut splitters
There are "EZ-out," sockets meant to remove rounded off nuts
You can apply heat from a torch
You can try to cut the nut, to split it
You can cut into the nut to get a screwdriver on it and hit that with a hammer
You can even use a melted candle on the threads, that get sucked into seized threads

So many options, no silver bullet.

Man up, keep at it.

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
So I'm helping a friend replace the header/exhaust manifold/catalytic converter. Where the header attaches to the exhaust pipe, one (of three) of the bolts is pretty seized. I've already rounded off the bold and the nut :( Will a dremel tool with the right cutting wheel cut that bolt off, or is there a tool that will grab a hold of the rounded nut/bolt and break it loose? What would you guys try? Either way, I gotta go buy something; if it's a dremel to cut it off or a rounded bolt head tool to continue to try and break it lose and back it out. Thoughts, tips, suggestions!!

If it matters (shouldn't), this is on a '02 Lexus IS 300 where the catalytic converter/header attaches to the exhaust pipe under the car.
If you can grip it well enough and have enough room.... Vice grips may help you get ahold of it then just hammer it out. Or try the EZ out sockets

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the new ideas guys. Tried vise grips; they keep chewing the nut up and twisting off. Thrives those exact sockets kshatt; they didn't even begin to bite. Like not even a little. The only thing I could think would be to beat the next smaller size socket onto it, which naturally I don't have. Will move on to the other ideas. Room is limited which doesn't help, but the busses problem is you cannot get a socket on the nut due the shape of the pipe; heat shield in the way. Can only get a socket on the bolt side. But yes...ill keep st it. I'm committed now, LOL.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am a fan of cut it off and move on. Assuming it can easily be replaced that is and it is not a welded stud or something. I have the little cutting discs for my dremel and they work great. It might take 2 or 3 of them to get through a bolt like that but its all over in 3-4 minutes or less and your on to the next step.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Since nobody mentioned it. But you could cut it off with a torch. Probably could run it to a meineke and get them to do it for $5.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Thanks for the new ideas guys. Tried vise grips; they keep chewing the nut up and twisting off. Thrives those exact sockets kshatt; they didn't even begin to bite. Like not even a little. The only thing I could think would be to beat the next smaller size socket onto it, which naturally I don't have. Will move on to the other ideas. Room is limited which doesn't help, but the busses problem is you cannot get a socket on the nut due the shape of the pipe; heat shield in the way. Can only get a socket on the bolt side. But yes...ill keep st it. I'm committed now, LOL.

If you have the ability you could also weld a nut onto it and extract it, they also sell bolt extraction kits where you drill into the bolt with a left handed drill bit and the portion threads in when tightened it is actually working in reverse to pull it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts