Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has the something been changed on these cars or what, because the turning radius on my 17 seems waaaay better than the 15 that I just got rid of. It doesn't seem to be an issue at all on my new car. I hadn't heard of a different steering unit or anything but it sure seems better. Anyone else experience this?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Has the something been changed on these cars or what, because the turning radius on my 17 seems waaaay better than the 15 that I just got rid of. It doesn't seem to be an issue at all on my new car. I hadn't heard of a different steering unit or anything but it sure seems better. Anyone else experience this?
If I recall the wheel lock of the steering wheel is like 1.8 rotations on the 2013-2015 and 2.2 rotations on the 2016+ so it was slightly improved. Those might be slightly off, but this is just me trying to dig from memory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Different steering rack starting in MY16. It's no longer variable ratio... so more turns lock-lock, but also more tire cut is allowed for a better turn radius.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Different steering rack starting in MY16. It's no longer variable ratio... so more turns lock-lock, but also more tire cut is allowed for a better turn radius.
Ahhhh, Thank you. Its actually like a normal car now.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
since you had one and now the other can you tell? I heard the steering wasn't as tight. is this true? I hate to think they are turning the ST more into a daily and less into a racecar
Probably takes more effort to hit those slaloms now :( :LAME:

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
If that is true, then I'll keep my '14.
Same. Turning radius isn't that hard to deal with, it's much better to have a bad turning radius if it means I have an extremely nimble steering rack to maneuver with. Was made that way intentionally.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
My god the turn radius was worse than it is now????
Yes. Drive a 2013-2015 car and you'll see what we mean. Our steering wheels only turn like 1.8 times compared to yours being able to turn 2.2 times. I deal with the 3 points turns like a champ though.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
since you had one and now the other can you tell? I heard the steering wasn't as tight. is this true? I hate to think they are turning the ST more into a daily and less into a racecar
I put 58k on my 2015 and only have about 500 on my 17. It feels like the exact same car so NO they're not turning it into a soccer mom car. I noticed the turning radius difference when I spun the new one around and was surprised that it made the turn. I didn't think my 15 would have so thats why I asked about it. Its better overall imo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts