Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Even though the description says BOV... its not... its a 100% diverter just like stock. Its a wee bit louder (can look up the part number on youtube, as CJponyparts does have a video showing it installed, and with some revs).

·
Registered
194 Posts
i never had a problem with mine..just peace of mind that my turbo will last longer without having all that un needed pressure build up within the motor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
(new to turbo cars here) ... So basically your saying that when getting off the throttle and you create a difference in pressure in the vacuum lines, you get the unit to "blow off". So by setting it harder, it requires a larger potential difference to cause it to open and "blow off", which generally would be for higher boost situations, correct? Just trying to clarify this for myself and maybe other readers out there.
(I'm going to explain this like you don't know anything about these cars because I don't know your level of knowledge on them) Basically if you have a symposer delete and you have a vacuum line tap from that you can use it as a true vacuum source from the intake manifold (as demonstrated in this thread Other Builds is also how I have mine setup and its awesome. I am running the TS 50/50 with there recommended way of setting it up). If your using the symposer tap as your vacuum source, when your on the throttle its creating pressure because your sucking air into the engine from the manifold. And since the symposer is a hole in the manifold, when your on throttle its creating vacuum pressure keeping the BOV closed under throttle. So when you let off, the engine isn't sucking in air and the vacuum pressure stops, letting the BOV open if there is enough pressure (whatever spring level/tension your BOV has will tell how much pressure it takes to open it). Causing the pressure to be released or recirculated depending on your setup. Or if your just using the stock solenoid valve the ECU controls the pressure that holds the BOV closed. Generally making your BOV go off a lot more then when using the symposer as a vacuum source (this can get annoying).

So with that said the harder or softer setting you have your BOV set to debates how much boost you need so your BOV can be pushed open (when off of throttle so there isn't vacuum pressure holding it closed) to release the not needed pressure/air. Generally with the TS 50/50 you want it to be set at the softest setting you can without it being open on idle pressure. Here is how TurboSmart recommends you to adjust it>

 Start with the BOV cap at the maximum soft position (The O-Ring should be completely covered by the edge of the cap)
 With the engine at idle the exhaust port should be closed off by the piston – the piston should be hard against the seat and not floating or moving
 Free rev the engine and back off quickly, the engine should return to normal idle speed – if the engine drops below idle or stalls increase the spring tension by one turn
 Repeat this process until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed
 Test drive the car and ensure that when decelerating or changing gears that the engine has minimal backfiring and no stalling. If backfiring is excessive or stalling is noticed then check all connections made during the installation, otherwise increase the spring tension.

Hopefully that helps you!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
(new to turbo cars here) ... So basically your saying that when getting off the throttle and you create a difference in pressure in the vacuum lines, you get the unit to "blow off". So by setting it harder, it requires a larger potential difference to cause it to open and "blow off", which generally would be for higher boost situations, correct? Just trying to clarify this for myself and maybe other readers out there.
LOL didn't pay attention to the date basically replying to a dead thread. Hopefully my information will help some newcomers on the thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
How do i make it so it doesnt woosh as loud. I have it on a pretty hard setting
If you have a TS 50/50 there isn't much you can do to stop it from being loud besides making it so hard that it doesn't open. However DO NOT DO THIS, you need somewhere for that extra pressure to go. If you aren't going to increase boost on the stock turbo or go big turbo I would just sell your AM BOV and use the stock one if the noise bugs you.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts