Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed a new Turbosmart Duel Port BOV yesterday. I'm not familiar with BOV's, so let me apologize in advance...

How do I know when I have it set correctly? It's currently set just like it came out of the box in 50/50 mode. When I rev the engine as stated in the directions, it returns to idle fine. It sounds like it's performing as it should.

I do have a CAI so my intake is very audible. Since I installed it, I now hear a fast chatter from the intake under full acceleration which wasn't there with the factory BPV. Do I need to adjust the BOV spring???

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
If it returns to idel with no issues then you are set fine.

If you are in a high gear and low rpm (5th at 3K) and put your foot to the floor, it will do that. I have the same thing with my stock DV. It's cause you are trying to force the boost level (mine at 21psi) and a low rpm and the wastegate is trying to regulate it. If you just roll onto the throtle in this senario it should not be there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply!

So in not too technical terms, can anyone tell me what the "softer" and "harder" setting are for (what they do)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Great timing on this thread! My turbosmart bob just arrived today and I too would like to know about the springs. I've read a few things but am still a bit confused.

·
Registered
313 Posts
There isn't a spring change on these BOVs. You either add shims or remove them but before that you use the adjuster on the top by turning it. Install it and do a few revs and see if it goes back to a normal idel without dipping below it on return.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I'm still wondering what the softer and harder adjustments are designed to do... Can anyone explain them to me?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
as far as my understanding goes, the stiffer the springs, the more boost pressure it will handle until it "blows off" or releases the pressure

·
Vendor
2,428 Posts
as far as my understanding goes, the stiffer the springs, the more boost pressure it will handle until it "blows off" or releases the pressure
This is incorrect, the only thing adjusting the spring tension does, is adjust how much vacuum it can hold on decel and at idle. When you're building boost you have equal pressure on both sides of the diaphragm so the valve will stay in place. The spring tension is adjusted to keep the valve closed under vacuum situations only. Hope this helps.

Corby

·
Registered
313 Posts
So I'm still wondering what the softer and harder adjustments are designed to do... Can anyone explain them to me?
This is straight from turbosmart's manual.

Each BOV needs to be adjusted to suit the vehicle it is being mounted on. The aim of the adjustment on Vee Port’s, Supersonic’s and
Dual ports is to make sure that the piston is hard closed at idle and that the piston closes fast enough to minimise backfiring and not
stall the engine.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My first post, please excuse me if im doing this wrong.

I'm also interested in installing a 50/50 BOV on my car. Is that "chatter" common and normal? Is there any way to eliminate it? (Besides NOT installing a BOV for all you smartasses out there!?)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also had a couple questions about the TurboSmart BOV.

Mine goes off anytime I go over 2.5k RPM and when im in 6th gear 60mph anytime I even slightly let off the throttle.

Is this normal? I have tried adjusting it to "harder" but nothing seemed to change.

Also stupid question about the stock BPV. Isn't there a spring that connects the two pieces? Because mine definitly did not have one unless it flew off when I removed it somehow.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
just installed mine yesterday,loving the sound it makes. And yes, the stock bpv came with a spring connecting the two pieces, might wanna find that!

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
This is incorrect, the only thing adjusting the spring tension does, is adjust how much vacuum it can hold on decel and at idle. When you're building boost you have equal pressure on both sides of the diaphragm so the valve will stay in place. The spring tension is adjusted to keep the valve closed under vacuum situations only. Hope this helps.

Corby
(new to turbo cars here) ... So basically your saying that when getting off the throttle and you create a difference in pressure in the vacuum lines, you get the unit to "blow off". So by setting it harder, it requires a larger potential difference to cause it to open and "blow off", which generally would be for higher boost situations, correct? Just trying to clarify this for myself and maybe other readers out there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
just installed mine yesterday,loving the sound it makes. And yes, the stock bpv came with a spring connecting the two pieces, might wanna find that!
I knew there was! I literally checked everywhere before I put the aftermarket part on.

Does your BOV go off all the time? I was under the impression these would only go off when boost builds. (turbo newb here)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
it goes off whenever you get off the throttle to allow the pressure be dissipated into the air, causing that whoosh sound.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are there any aftermarket parts that is silent like the OEM BPV? Recirculation or another BPV?

I cant seem to find anywhere to buy an OEM BPV.

Since I lost the spring in my OEM. Is is a bad idea to try to replace only that? I am worried this spring is special for the part and would be hard to get something exactly like it.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Are there any aftermarket parts that is silent like the OEM BPV? Recirculation or another BPV?

I cant seem to find anywhere to buy an OEM BPV.

Since I lost the spring in my OEM. Is is a bad idea to try to replace only that? I am worried this spring is special for the part and would be hard to get something exactly like it.
Kylemba, you have this option as a BPV replacement, so you don't have the sound of a BOV but is a much higher quality then the stock unit. You NEED the spring for the stock BPV, because that is what sets the pressure required to open the valve for recirculation.
Turbosmart TS-0203-1261 Focus ST Blow Off Valve 13-14/F-150

1 - 20 of 28 Posts