Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just recently installed a TurboSmart BOV on my 2015 Stage 1 ST this morning but it's not getting the right sound that I want. When I got the Valve I saw that it had a Harder and Softer twist to it and my dumb*ss twisted it to the harder side a few times not knowing what I was doing. Now that I installed it I can only hear the pshhhhh whenever I give it some gas and switch gears a bit slower than normal. Is there anyway I can adjust it to Softer without having to take the whole thing out again and will it help the sound so I don't have to push the car in order to hear the pshhhh?

P.S: I've noticed the third boost gauge go up and move a lot more when I push the car harder after installing the new BOV. It stays at about 35 psi out of 70 psi when I'm cruising at 55mph, is this bad?

·
Registered
73 Posts
The softer and harder is meant for your location in elevation above sea level. Softer is for higher elevation and harder is for lower or sea level elevation. (I may have them mixed up) but it controls the spring rate and how much psi is needed to open the valve.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it is hooked up like the stock unit then it should only blow off when the car wants it to. If you want it louder check out Boomba's BOV.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I went over the Turbosmart instructions when I installed mine.

It should be adjusted as loosely as possible while still keeping the piston closed at idle. TL DR version: tighten it so that the o-ring isn't showing as a starting point and go from there. That is basically where mine is set.

Adjusting your BOV or BPV
Posted on September 19, 2011
Each Blow-Off Valve (BOV) or Bypass Valve (BPV) needs to be adjusted to suit the vehicle it is being mounted on. The aim of the adjustment on Vee Ports, Supersonics and Dual Ports is to make sure that the piston is hard closed at idle and that the piston closes fast enough to minimise backfiring and not stall the engine. Plumb back BOVs are equipped with a spring which are designed to keep the piston open at engine idle and hence the cap can be left in the middle position.

Adjustment to the BOV is made by rotating the cap. To increase the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap clockwise in the direction of hard as marked on the top of the cap. To decrease the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap anticlockwise in the direction of soft as marked on the top of the cap.

CAUTION – Do not rotate the cap beyond the first O-Ring indicator groove

• Start with the BOV cap at the maximum soft position (The indicator O-Ring should be completely covered by the edge of the cap)

• With the engine at idle the exhaust port should be closed off by the piston – the piston should be hard against the seat and not floating or moving

• Free rev the engine and back off quickly, the engine should return to normal idle speed – if the engine drops below idle or stalls increase the spring tension by one turn

• Repeat this process until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed

• Test drive the car and ensure that when decelerating or changing gears that the engine has minimal backfiring and no stalling. If backfiring is excessive or stalling is noticed then check all connections made during the installation, otherwise increase the spring tension

·
Premium Member
13,975 Posts
I went over the Turbosmart instructions when I installed mine.

It should be adjusted as loosely as possible while still keeping the piston closed at idle. TL DR version: tighten it so that the o-ring isn't showing as a starting point and go from there. That is basically where mine is set.

Adjusting your BOV or BPV
Posted on September 19, 2011
Each Blow-Off Valve (BOV) or Bypass Valve (BPV) needs to be adjusted to suit the vehicle it is being mounted on. The aim of the adjustment on Vee Ports, Supersonics and Dual Ports is to make sure that the piston is hard closed at idle and that the piston closes fast enough to minimise backfiring and not stall the engine. Plumb back BOVs are equipped with a spring which are designed to keep the piston open at engine idle and hence the cap can be left in the middle position.

Adjustment to the BOV is made by rotating the cap. To increase the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap clockwise in the direction of hard as marked on the top of the cap. To decrease the spring force on the piston, rotate the cap anticlockwise in the direction of soft as marked on the top of the cap.

CAUTION – Do not rotate the cap beyond the first O-Ring indicator groove

• Start with the BOV cap at the maximum soft position (The indicator O-Ring should be completely covered by the edge of the cap)

• With the engine at idle the exhaust port should be closed off by the piston – the piston should be hard against the seat and not floating or moving

• Free rev the engine and back off quickly, the engine should return to normal idle speed – if the engine drops below idle or stalls increase the spring tension by one turn

• Repeat this process until the engine free revs and returns to normal idle speed

• Test drive the car and ensure that when decelerating or changing gears that the engine has minimal backfiring and no stalling. If backfiring is excessive or stalling is noticed then check all connections made during the installation, otherwise increase the spring tension
The problem is those instructions work best with MAF cars. We have a MAP car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts