Ford Focus ST Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,586 Posts
I read briefly, but i saw stratified announced that they r making a hybrid w Garrett internals and a custom tune package
That would be the safer bet, waiting to see what Strat comes up with.

I'm still a pay to play guy, and rather have a proven turbo manufactured(which hopefully is what strat is doing) then roll the dice on a hybrid.

Guess what happens when the cold side wheel fails? Motor damage. People saving a few bucks initially, are gambling a lot more money with their cars. Just how I look at it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
yea it seems like garrett is making the turbo so its going to be a safer, more reliable turbo, prob around 320whp on 93 octane. it will get slightly less hp than pwnall or turbobay but you get the reliability.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Would be interested to see how it would perform with E85 straight. The stock turbo spins up really quick with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
I read briefly, but i saw stratified announced that they r making a hybrid w Garrett internals and a custom tune package
I think you may have misread that. They didn't say they are making a hybrid, but that the will be offering the new Garrett drop-in turbo, and bundling it with custom tunes. Saying that they should be able to make mid 300s with ethanol.

·
Registered
144 Posts
If they can make 350 with WMI and essentially stock spool speed, I will be on that band wagon so fast. I wanted a MRX6258 to push 350 and the fastest spool speed but if this is priced in the 1300ish range I'll be the first to buy it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have also contemplated a hybrid from TPC, the price is right, would just like to benefit from someone else's experience first, someone else who has more time and money for trial and error :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have also contemplated a hybrid from TPC, the price is right, would just like to benefit from someone else's experience first, someone else who has more time and money for trial and error :)
They post a lot on IG so I’ll assume they’re a good reputable company?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any updates on either TPC or this turbobay turbo? Considering sending in the turbo i took off my car and saw today on turbobays website they have a new wheel option for the turbo, says race only but its a 50/52 upgrade. 52mm turbine and 50mm compressor. Wouldnt that be really bad with how our turbos are designed?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I talked to the folks at GPopShop quite extensively about upgrading the turbo in our cars and it can be done but it really depends on what your goals are. If I remember correctly the cost was about $900 and the horsepower would be around 325 with proper tuning and supporting mods. I decided that if I was going to spend half as much as a big turbo kit for 325 hp I might as well pony up another $1000 and be able to get to 400 hp or so. YMMV it really depends on what you're looking for.

Andy

·
Registered
28 Posts
He took care of the turbo and fixed it, dude definitely stands behind his products. I still to this day have no idea what caused it to fail, but I am running a stock turbo as of right now. I dont know if it was something I did, or the tune @ 28psi, but he said that he has never seen such problems out of his units. I sold the hybrid due to financial reason and hope the guy I sold it to has good luck out of it. Thank you everyone that has followed my experiences.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If your going to get a hybrid turbo go to turbobay or puma speed. Or put together your own big turbo kit. Personally it’s a waste of money but opinions are like buttholes they all stink.
I made my own big turbo kit came in under 1k for a gt3576r kit I see full boost by 4800.

·
Registered
423 Posts
He took care of the turbo and fixed it, dude definitely stands behind his products. I still to this day have no idea what caused it to fail, but I am running a stock turbo as of right now. I dont know if it was something I did, or the tune @ 28psi, but he said that he has never seen such problems out of his units. I sold the hybrid due to financial reason and hope the guy I sold it to has good luck out of it. Thank you everyone that has followed my experiences.
I noticed that Pwnall recommends not tuning for over 26psi in the high rpm range on their hybrid due to potential damage from overspinning, as well as only using 5w40 or 0w40 oils. I wonder if your turbo had a bearing failure from the 28psi tune and/or oil selection? Hard saying at this point.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Turbobay says nothing of the sort on their site. I was just speculating based on a competitor's product.

Of course the fact that your particular turbo showed up clocked incorrectly might mean that it was haphazardly put together which may be the reason for the failure as well.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts