Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does everyone with aftermarket turbo-backs hear the turbo spooling from inside the cabin?

I've been roaming threads for a couple of days now trying to find an answer to my question so that I wouldn't have to open a new thread, but I haven't had any luck. Last weekend I upgraded from a custom exhaust (muffler delete and the resonator replaced with a small muffler) to the MBRP XP cat-back. I also have the 1320 catted downpipe, which I had installed prior, and I absolutely love the way this setup sounds. It is better in every way, but the increase in the volume of the turbo spooling from inside the cabin has me slightly concerned. I can hear it while taking off from a stop or while crusing at low speeds through town with the lightest throttle input. Don't get me wrong, it sounds incredible as long as it's supposed to be that way, I just want to make sure that I don't have a leak around the downpipe flange or front resonator clamp. I don't believe I do, I just didn't expect the volume of the turbo spooling to increase so much going from a custom exhaust to an aftermarket exhaust. However, the turbo noise from the exhaust tips is also louder after installing the MBRP cat-back, so I am thinking that the turbo was just very muffled with my previous setup since I had an aftermarket muffler welded up front where the stock resonator was, instead of in the rear like most aftermarket cat-backs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
130 Posts
aslong as your boost target is on point you should be fine. How ever I will say the stock cat and resonator is a lot more restrictive and was made to keep the car quiet. Unlike the MBRP set up that’s made to be free flowing which in a logical sense will increase airflow and sound. How ever I have heard one really loud stock turbo before and that’s because the guy blew his charge pipe off and was making no boost and I doubt that’s your issue.
Also changing your intake and or filter can make the turbo a lot louder.

If you need some relief take a sheet of paper and or a receipt crawl under the car when it’s on and slide it around where you think your leak is I promise you if you have one you’ll hear it ASAP. Or just look for carbon build up

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback. I know it isn't my charge pipes since this change happened immediately after the exhaust was installed last week and that's the only modification I've done since March. I installed my intercooler last August with t-bolt clamps and have never had an issue with the charge pipes blowing off. I have a feeling I am just being paranoid, I just didn't expect such an audible difference going from a custom exhaust to an aftermarket exhaust. Especially if I am next to another vehicle, curb, median, etc., it sounds wonderful. The turbo noise from the exhaust tips is also much more prominent than it was with my custom setup, so I should probably just stop worrying and enjoy it. I have full bolt-ons now with the addition of the MBRP cat-back and have been working on a custom tune this week. I'm always hitting 22-23 peak PSI during my pulls and my tuner hasn't mentioned anything negative with my logs either.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm still on my stock dp with a thermal research and development catback N it's definitely a louder spool. I know with my Mazda Speed6 I have a 3in atp catless dp and 3in straight pipe dual exit on that and a Corksport CST4 turbo, that thing sounds like a diesel as far as exhaust sounds, I can just sit at idle and you hear a constant whistling spool, when I get on it it sounds ssssoooo mmmmeeaaannnn. I love it. But I will tell you I'd never put a straight pipe on my ST they just dont sound the same.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have the same setup and can't hear spool at all>
are you on a dp or just catback? I will say the Thermal research and design is made extremely well and I never have any drone and now as i dont have a 3in dp catted or decatted yet I think it has a great and I get some spool, but with a aftermarket dp itll really living it uP.

·
Registered
400 Posts
are you on a dp or just catback?
Stock downpipe, just the catback.
Everything about it is perfect. Fitment, sound, outside volume, lack of drone (only interior sound when you want to hear it). I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
To me that looks like something got Burnt on lol like a plastic bag you ran over. I’ve been trying to find you a picture of an exhaust leak. But best way to explain it is, put your finger in your exhaust tips obviously when the car is cold and rub your hand around the tip. Now do the same on that spot under your car generally If you have an exhaust leak it will look just like the black stuff coming out the back of your tail pipe but any where under the car. So If you touch the thing under your exhaust and get the same results then there’s an exhaust leak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts