Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I do not plan to make crazy HP figures with my focus, it is my DD first and foremost and it can be a light toy on others.

So I have two questions:

1: If the plan is to do a turbo swap so the engine wouldn't be running out by 5500rpm, but to retain the same boost levels, and as close to orginial spool up time as the KO3, that would mean I should be looking for the little EFR6258, or a GTX2860?

2: If the plan is to do that kind of swap where the goal is not to get more boost, but to have boost longer, is the factory tune and map/oxygen sensor(s) able to compensate for the extra boost at higher RPM?

The premise is I love the car the way it is, and all I would want is more of the same, I've seen the thread about the possible EFR based supercore modification for the KO3 that is only theoretical at this time, but at this moment this is all thought experiment as if I were to do any of this I would need to do a few supporting mods first.

·
Registered
524 Posts
1. I believe you would be happy with either of those turbos. I have no personal experience, hopefully someone will chime in. But both should hold boost through 5500 rpm.

2. You need a proper tune. If you rely on the car as a DD, you don't want to have downtime dealing with issues. No way those turbos would run on the stock tune for more than idling.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The Mountune MRX kit might be exactly what you're looking for. You can bolt that thing onto the stock cutback, just upgrade your intercooler and you're solid.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
20psi on one turbo out of its efficiency range is not the same as an upgraded one... So don't look at that as a deciding factor.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
20psi on one turbo out of its efficiency range is not the same as an upgraded one... So don't look at that as a deciding factor.
yup there is more to the power equation than just air pressure.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
what is the reason?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
because it takes the comfort of a dd away. I have big turbo with all the parts to push it. And car rides like crap. I barely drive it at this point, its so uncomfortable

·
Registered
122 Posts
I do not plan to make crazy HP figures with my focus, it is my DD first and foremost and it can be a light toy on others........

The premise is I love the car the way it is, and all I would want is more of the same, I've seen the thread about the possible EFR based supercore modification for the KO3 that is only theoretical at this time, but at this moment this is all thought experiment as if I were to do any of this I would need to do a few supporting mods first.
More radical suggestion based on your goals: trade in for a Focus RS. Now that the novelty factor has subsided, you can get one below invoice if you work at it.

If out of reach, then maybe go for basic upgrades such as intercooler and get a custom tune (e30-e50 if available in your area), upgrade things like shifter, suspension, etc. Then see if you still want a larger turbo IMO

Read this guy's blog, a very early on st turbo upgrade before ATP came out with better. His goal was a lot like yours.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/john.nachtimwald.com/2014/09/25/focus-st-big-turbo-build/amp/

If you do decide to go bt, then set high standards for who you work with and take advice from. It is very important they understand your goals and you communicate those equally well. Sounds like you are starting off on the right foot.

Enjoy the adventure where ever it goes for you and your ST

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
because it takes the comfort of a dd away. I have big turbo with all the parts to push it. And car rides like crap. I barely drive it at this point, its so uncomfortable
I had to do rmm and PMM just for tune, and I knocked the catalyst out of stock dp and left stock resonator and muffler. I also have B8's with Swift springs, steeda RSB, Wilwood BBK, and VelossaTech stage 1 air ducts and other than at idle with AC on the car feels and rides better than stock. So I'm thinking a 2863 is not really going to require much more than I have to push 325 HP to the wheels? Stealth, is it really that bad if you are not pushing for max power?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I had to do rmm and PMM just for tune, and I knocked the catalyst out of stock dp and left stock resonator and muffler. I also have B8's with Swift springs, steeda RSB, Wilwood BBK, and VelossaTech stage 1 air ducts and other than at idle with AC on the car feels and rides better than stock. So I'm thinking a 2863 is not really going to require much more than I have to push 325 HP to the wheels? Stealth, is it really that bad if you are not pushing for max power?
No with a 2863 and no top mounts a decent exhaust it would not be to bad. My current set up sucks. But i drive SoCal freeways so my dd might be different than others. Even no traffic I don't enjoy driving this car anymore

·
Registered
398 Posts
No with a 2863 and no top mounts a decent exhaust it would not be to bad. My current set up sucks. But i drive SoCal freeways so my dd might be different than others. Even no traffic I don't enjoy driving this car anymore
Aren't you running a 3XXX turbo?

I would think a 2863 or a 2867 would be OK w/ a DD setup if you're not too hardcore w/ the tune and are within proper fueling limits.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Aren't you running a 3XXX turbo?

I would think a 2863 or a 2867 would be OK w/ a DD setup if you're not too hardcore w/ the tune and are within proper fueling limits.
2971 with Ewg All three mounts aftemarket clutch balance delete straight through exhaust 2.3 stroker running e-50

·
Registered
613 Posts
2971 with Ewg All three mounts aftemarket clutch balance delete straight through exhaust 2.3 stroker running e-50
yeah, you went full retard. or full racecar, however you wanna look at it.

I don't see why a mild BT setup wouldn't be awesome for a DD. Keep the big picture in mind and think long and hard about every mod before you do it--is this something you can live with every day? I went too far in a previous car (mazdaspeed 3) and it ruined the car from a DD perspective. No need to get stiff aftermarket clutch, full mounts, etc if you're not worried about laying down awesome track times, etc. EVerything is a compromise, figure out what works for you.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
yeah, you went full retard. or full racecar, however you wanna look at it.

I don't see why a mild BT setup wouldn't be awesome for a DD. Keep the big picture in mind and think long and hard about every mod before you do it--is this something you can live with every day? I went too far in a previous car (mazdaspeed 3) and it ruined the car from a DD perspective. No need to get stiff aftermarket clutch, full mounts, etc if you're not worried about laying down awesome track times, etc. EVerything is a compromise, figure out what works for you.

Ya I didn't like the car after I added all mounts.. adding the turbo after made it a little better because it was at least fast. That got old quick, so then i went full retard which it is undrivable now with current set up unless i drag race. The car is fast enough rear mount with a tune for DD. In hindsight that is where i would have stopped

·
Registered
613 Posts
I didn't go as far as big turbo... but I can definitely relate to you. Full mounts is what did me in too. When I demodded the car to sell it, I was like wow, Mazda did a pretty good job! lol.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts