Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stage 3 focus with CPE intercooler and what not, however I am starting to notice a little bit of turbo lag lately. Here in WI it has been very humid and hot and I am wondering if this plays a huge role. Anything to check? No boost leaks at all just not sure were to look and what some of the cures are.

Much appreciated for the advise

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have a larger aftermarket intercooler?

If not what you are experiencing is likely heat soak
I have the CPE Lightweight intercooler. Wondering if a larger core would solve this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Do you have a larger aftermarket intercooler?

If not what you are experiencing is likely heat soak
I was going to say this also, but his signature says "fully bolted stock turbo" so I feel like he does.

You are tuned right? Take some data logs. Those might help point you in the right direction. Stratified has guides to taking datalogs available. Unless you have an SCT tuner

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have the CPE Lightweight intercooler. Wondering if a larger core would solve this issue.
The CPE Lightweight should be more than enough to combat heatsoak. In heats up to 100 degrees I had no heat soak the few times it actually got that hot here in PA

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've always been worried about moisture accumulation after seeing people with the 3.5l Ecoboost flushing cores out. I think they were going as far as drilling holes for drain valves , but that introduces an additional leak point

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I've always been worried about moisture accumulation after seeing people with the 3.5l Ecoboost flushing cores out. I think they were going as far as drilling holes for drain valves , but that introduces an additional leak point

Yeah I certainly wouldn't be drilling holes lol lots of pressure in there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I believe the rs has a blanking plate on the hot side(I think) so that the moisture stays in the charge air and doesn't instantly cause condensation

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh gotchya, I have been looking around and I am going to reset my KAM through the accessport. Can I reset this while I am on my custom 93 map? This looks to be the common troubleshooting route that has fixed this issue.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Oh gotchya, I have been looking around and I am going to reset my KAM through the accessport. Can I reset this while I am on my custom 93 map? This looks to be the common troubleshooting route that has fixed this issue.
Yeah it is just the way the car learns how you drive. Do a long highway trip and suddenly the car feels less aggressive when you plant your foot because it's used to staying at one speed the whole time. Reset the KAM periodically like every 1k miles to keep the throttle from adjusting to highway driving. It doesn't affect anything, I do it often.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah it is just the way the car learns how you drive. Do a long highway trip and suddenly the car feels less aggressive when you plant your foot because it's used to staying at one speed the whole time. Reset the KAM periodically like every 1k miles to keep the throttle from adjusting to highway driving. It doesn't affect anything, I do it often.
haha that's so crazy. Always learning something new lol. Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
The more you push the oem unit I would imagine the more turbo lag you will have. is this lag something you just discovered after going stage 3?

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Try a KAM reset; if you don't drive hard continuously, the computer will remember it and adjust itself accordingly. A KAM reset often times gets things running properly again.

Edit: heat and humidity don't help things either.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try a KAM reset; if you don't drive hard continuously, the computer will remember it and adjust itself accordingly. A KAM reset often times gets things running properly again.

Edit: heat and humidity don't help things either.
Thanks. Will do. I will provide an update either in a few days or so.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Curious about all this computer remembering your driving style talk.

Primarily my driving is commuting to work and home with my ST, but when I do go out to play in the canyons I do not notice any hesitation, or anything out of place. So with that in mind.

Is this only a problem for people who are tuned? I've never noticed these 'flat' spots in the power people talk about, if I ask the car to go, it goes, and if I decide to drop the hammer in second it will spin which ever wheel is getting the power (which is why you roll on the throttle)

Maybe this is why I don't have issue, I don't go from low throttle to WoT, I roll into the throttle. I'm grasping at straws here, I can't be the only one who has an ST that behaves with out having to perform a KAM reset.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Curious about all this computer remembering your driving style talk.

Primarily my driving is commuting to work and home with my ST, but when I do go out to play in the canyons I do not notice any hesitation, or anything out of place. So with that in mind.

Is this only a problem for people who are tuned? I've never noticed these 'flat' spots in the power people talk about, if I ask the car to go, it goes, and if I decide to drop the hammer in second it will spin which ever wheel is getting the power (which is why you roll on the throttle)

Maybe this is why I don't have issue, I don't go from low throttle to WoT, I roll into the throttle. I'm grasping at straws here, I can't be the only one who has an ST that behaves with out having to perform a KAM reset.
The changes the computer makes are subtle and over time; you may not notice that performance is a bit less than before. My car always seems to be running at the top of it's game too, but on occasion I will do a KAM reset and sure enough, it is just a bit more responsive and is stronger on top end.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts