Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my car running and I have a flutter sound now it was not making it before it’s 100% stock out side of a cold air intake from AF dynamic any thoughts on what is cosing this and if it’s harmful

· Registered
1,509 Posts
It all depends sometimes these cars have alil flutter stock, but it all depends exactly what kind of flutter and how excessive it is, alot of times they have alil wastegate flutter at lower rpms with like mid boost or so. I don't think I've ever heard flutter at full throttle. Video?

· Registered
354 Posts
So I just got my car running... ...and I have a cold air intake from AF dynamic
Did you just install the intake, and you now hear the noise afterwards?

That intake setup will increase turbo noises that are already there. Light throttle is enough to spool our tiny turbo. If you let off just right, the bypass valve will not open and you will hear the turbo fluttering through the intake.

Fluttering is okay, high pressure / heavy throttle "surge" is not okay and something is probably wrong with your bypass valve.

LMGTFY

Turbo Flutter

· Registered
2,836 Posts
No tune and it happens around 2000 to 3000 rpms pretty consistent the only thing done to the car is a intake but it’s always been on it
happens at that VERy wide range of RPM. while getting on the gas or coming off? coming off then nothing wrong that is normal, if it is going on the gas then you need to resolve the issue.

Strange that nothing changed and you are noticing it, windows down and noticing it? otherwise a boost leak or vacuum leak?

· Registered
266 Posts
Update I got it out on the highway and it sounds like I’m getting a little bit of that flutter while I’m accelerating
I don't think it's a boost leak, that wouldn't necessarily sound like flutter, more like inability to build boost and you might hear a noise sounding like air was escaping. Most likely it's your waste gate actuator. If you have a local mechanic or buddy that can help, you might want to consider buying one from someone like Turbosmart or Mountune. They'll help in the long run anyways.
I myself don't know how to specifically run a test to 100% diagnose it as your waste gate but what you're describing sounds like it.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
Ok thanks I’ll try replacing the waste gate I have a bov from turbo smart just never put it on would that make a difference?
I don't think wastegate has anything to do with it, but cant really say without seeing it.

I would assume it is the vacuum line from the BOV to the solenoid on the top of the motor. run a new line and test. cheap and easy

I HIGHLY recommend clicking the link in my sig line and changing your BOV to natural vac.

I would first check and see if all bolts are tight on the BOV, did you locktite? i see them come loose. as is the vacuum line fitted and tight, I have seen them put on and not clamped correctly

A leak in the vacuum line will cause all sorts of flutter noises and not necessarily a leak

· Registered
211 Posts
I have the lid off my air box and it makes flutter noises at that RPM range (~2500 to 3000) when I let off the gas. Takes a very specific amount of throttle input to make it do it, I figured it was making just enough boost to flutter but not enough to open the BPV. I also hear a little bit of flutter when accelerating hard (need windows down to hear it and its still faint), figured it was normal. Just a small amount of boost working its way back through the turbo at full chooch.

I might be wrong but without hearing it in person sounds pretty normal to me.

· Registered
4 Posts
I don't know if this helps anyone but, I recently bought a Ford Focus ST and it was making a nice flutter noise and I was really happy with it, later on I found out my hose was unplugged from the boost solenoid that's right under the engine cover. This is what was causing my flutter at 2.5 to 3k rpm. As soon as I plugged the hose back in the flutter went away. If you guys hear the flutter noise I recommend making sure your hose is plugged into your boost solenoid because this causes the wastegate to remain closed and traps the air damaging the Turbo.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,383 Posts
@BoostedSTChris welcome and thanks for sharing.

just for clarity for anyone reading in the future, the solenoid on the valve cover controls your bypass valve. The one mounted to the turbocharger is the one controlling the wastegate.

· Registered
4 Posts
@BoostedSTChris welcome and thanks for sharing. just for clarity for anyone reading in the future, the solenoid on the valve cover controls your bypass valve. The one mounted to the turbocharger is the one controlling the wastegate.
Hey i’m actually looking for some help myself. I’ve been driving the car for about 3 weeks or so before realizing that the hose was slipped off causing the waste gate to remain closed and cause the flutter i believe ? Would this of caused heavy wear on my turbo?

· Registered
2018 Focus ST Magnetic Metallic
227 Posts
I have an aftermarket BPV (Boomba Recirculating) and run it on a map tap vacuum line. It absolutely flutters and sounds like a turkey at low RPM. When I hit medium or higher boost, you can hear the BPV release. I also have the spectre air box mod and an air scoop up front, which contributes to the noise. The BPV was releasing all the freaking time on the stock solenoid, which is why I moved it to the true vacuum. Never had any issue hitting or maintaining torque/boost levels on the stock turbo. I'm sure the stock solenoid would be the better route for turbo health, but it was damn annoying. Plus if the turbo goes, it's an excuse to go 2860 ;) Hope this helps.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have an aftermarket BPV (Boomba Recirculating) and run it on a map tap vacuum line. It absolutely flutters and sounds like a turkey at low RPM. When I hit medium or higher boost, you can hear the BPV release. I also have the spectre air box mod and an air scoop up front, which contributes to the noise. The BPV was releasing all the freaking time on the stock solenoid, which is why I moved it to the true vacuum. Never had any issue hitting or maintaining torque/boost levels. Hope this helps.
I’m in love with the turbo flutter but i’ve heard it’s not healthy for the turbo and I don’t have turbo money so it kinda scares me. Is there any healthy way to have the turbo flutter without it damaging the turbo?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts