Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idk where this post belongs, but if it's in the wrong section feel free to move it over to the right one.

I would like to start off by saying this is my first turbo car, let alone performance car really.

So my '17 St is at about 2k miles, and while on a drive today I felt what I would describe as the turbo giving out on me. I couldn't feel any boost but strangely the gauge would still go up.

Once I parked I gave it a few revs and couldn't hear the turbo at all and the gauge probably popped up the tiniest amount.

If anyone has any insite or suggestions as to what my next move should be, it would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
first boost is load dependent, and just revving, there is no load on the motor so you shouldn't see the needle move much at all.

if there really is no boost, then you may have had a clamp fail and have a leak.

is it still easily spinning the tire when you hit the gas hard in first or second? if s, sound like like its still making boost.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well lastnight I got in the car again for a little test. Everything seemed fine actually, but right before I got home I felt a little loss in power and my check engine light came on.

So that's about where I'm at right now.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Well lastnight I got in the car again for a little test. Everything seemed fine actually, but right before I got home I felt a little loss in power and my check engine light came on.

So that's about where I'm at right now.
Right now you should be at the dealer...

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's where I'm headed at the moment. I'll keep y'all up to date with what they say.
Did the dealer have any idea what was happening?

I have had what I believe is the exact same thing happen 3 times now, the most recent just last night.

The first time it did it I noticed it right away. The car felt like it had no boost or was unable to breathe properly and felt like it "hit a wall" acceleration wise yet the smallest throttle application would sent the boost gauge climbing rapidly.

The second time it happened about 10 minutes after I started driving, the car had felt entirely normal up to that point (I was just driving in moderate traffic) and then suddenly it developed the same symptoms. I tried to take it to my dealer but without knowing what would happen I dropped into my work for an hour first for a meeting and when I got in the car again it was working perfectly again.

Just last night exactly the same thing again although this time is was probably noticeable right after driving away. One thing I did notices is that even in 1st and 2nd the slightest application of the throttle would send the boost gauge to 75% where I would only ever see that in 3rd and up - I normally never see the gauge over 50% in 1st and 2nd so either the ECU is going "give me more boost, more boost" or the gauge is just showing some misleading value.

The other thing I know is that in each case I have driven somewhere long enough to get the car properly warmed up and then parked for between 15 minutes and around an hour. When I get back into the car and drive off is when this will happen and in each case turning the car off, last night was probably on 5 minutes, and it returns to normal.

My car only ever gets 98 and is completely stock with around 11,500 km on the clock. It s a MY17.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the dealer have any idea what was happening?

I have had what I believe is the exact same thing happen 3 times now, the most recent just last night.

The first time it did it I noticed it right away. The car felt like it had no boost or was unable to breathe properly and felt like it "hit a wall" acceleration wise yet the smallest throttle application would sent the boost gauge climbing rapidly.

The second time it happened about 10 minutes after I started driving, the car had felt entirely normal up to that point (I was just driving in moderate traffic) and then suddenly it developed the same symptoms. I tried to take it to my dealer but without knowing what would happen I dropped into my work for an hour first for a meeting and when I got in the car again it was working perfectly again.

Just last night exactly the same thing again although this time is was probably noticeable right after driving away. One thing I did notices is that even in 1st and 2nd the slightest application of the throttle would send the boost gauge to 75% where I would only ever see that in 3rd and up - I normally never see the gauge over 50% in 1st and 2nd so either the ECU is going "give me more boost, more boost" or the gauge is just showing some misleading value.

The other thing I know is that in each case I have driven somewhere long enough to get the car properly warmed up and then parked for between 15 minutes and around an hour. When I get back into the car and drive off is when this will happen and in each case turning the car off, last night was probably on 5 minutes, and it returns to normal.

My car only ever gets 98 and is completely stock with around 11,500 km on the clock. It s a MY17.
Forgot to update. When I took it to the dealer, they said the reason my check engine light came on was because there was a harness out of place that was pushing a wire into a cilinder head.

They said that they couldn't feel the loss of power I was talking about though, and the car has been driving fine since. Only thing I'm worried about is like you were saying I had been driving for quite some time before I felt it the first time, and pushed the engine pretty hard the second time I felt it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had my ST for two months and have around the same mileage only thing I have is a green air filter. I experienced something similar twice now with my car. (this is at full operating temp) I'll give it about half throttle to speed up (I'll downshift to around 3K rpms) it will give boost but only half way and I can hear air being sucked in but there is no power and I'm barely accelerating. I've gone WOT in that situation too (rolling) and it does the same half boost no power. Both times I've stopped at a red light and stopped the engine and restarted it which has fixed the issue. sounds similar so I don't mean to Hijack the thread.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've had my ST for two months and have around the same mileage only thing I have is a green air filter. I experienced something similar twice now with my car. (this is at full operating temp) I'll give it about half throttle to speed up (I'll downshift to around 3K rpms) it will give boost but only half way and I can hear air being sucked in but there is no power and I'm barely accelerating. I've gone WOT in that situation too (rolling) and it does the same half boost no power. Both times I've stopped at a red light and stopped the engine and restarted it which has fixed the issue. sounds similar so I don't mean to Hijack the thread.
By half boost, do you mean half way across the gauge on the dash? Or half of it's usual peak?

Kinda sounds like a boost leak though. If you bought the car new, take it to the dealer and have them fix it just so that it's documented. The filter shouldn't be affecting anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
By half boost, do you mean half way across the gauge on the dash? Or half of it's usual peak?

Kinda sounds like a boost leak though. If you bought the car new, take it to the dealer and have them fix it just so that it's documented. The filter shouldn't be affecting anything.
Correct halfway across the gauge on the dash so roughly 14 to 15 PSI according to the gauge. I figured the air filter wouldn't matter but I wanted to include it so I could account for all possible variables. I made an appointment with a service adviser, since it happened to me again this morning. I managed to record it this time so hopefully they can figure out what it is. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
check to see if a charge pipe blew off. It's fairly common. Depending on how much it's disconnected or if it's just loose, you won't be hitting any where near full boost. Million other possibilities could also be that you're heat soaked, and/or because power drops off dramatically bc the turbo is so small. Also check to make sure you're grill shutters aren't shut when you're totally warmed up....staying shut could result in going into limp mode bc of heat issues. But like a said a million other possibilities.

Reactions: brian60

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,167 Posts
check to see if a charge pipe blew off. It's fairly common. Depending on how much it's disconnected or if it's just loose, you won't be hitting any where near full boost. Million other possibilities could also be that you're heat soaked, and/or because power drops off dramatically bc the turbo is so small. Also check to make sure you're grill shutters aren't shut when you're totally warmed up....staying shut could result in going into limp mode bc of heat issues. But like a said a million other possibilities.
Or do what I do and shatter them and pull them suckers out of there (the shutters)

When my charge pipe finally blew the first time I was 40 miles from home and had a mountain to cross out playing around. That was fun. I had literally 0 boost because it was disconnected and sitting 3 inches from the intercooler pipe. It FLEW off that thing. Sucked, but hairspray and better clamps means it won't be coming off again.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Correct halfway across the gauge on the dash so roughly 14 to 15 PSI according to the gauge. I figured the air filter wouldn't matter but I wanted to include it so I could account for all possible variables. I made an appointment with a service adviser, since it happened to me again this morning. I managed to record it this time so hopefully they can figure out what it is. Thanks for the response.
Stock tune? Do you have an Access Port? Or some sort of data logging device?

Peak boost on stock tune is only 14-15psi, or half way across the entire gauge. If you were half of the peak and at the quarter tick mark, then you've definitely lost power as that's only 7.5psi and it would most likely be a leak. If you're hitting the middle tick mark, you shouldn't have a boost leak. Maybe a small one that can't be measured on our gauge, like a 1-2psi loss. Boost leaks aren't problems that only happen twice before fixed. If you have one, you'll always have a loss in power so it really sounds like you don't have one.

You're operating above 3k, so it doesn't sound like your lugging, unless are you maybe in 5th gear? You won't really feel power WOT in 5th gear at 3k because of the gearing, it will just build boost. 3k WOT in 5th gear isn't really lugging it, but close enough.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,167 Posts
Stock tune? Do you have an Access Port? Or some sort of data logging device?

Peak boost on stock tune is only 14-15psi, or half way across the entire gauge. If you were half of the peak and at the quarter tick mark, then you've definitely lost power as that's only 7.5psi and it would most likely be a leak. If you're hitting the middle tick mark, you shouldn't have a boost leak. Maybe a small one that can't be measured on our gauge, like a 1-2psi loss. Boost leaks aren't problems that only happen twice before fixed. If you have one, you'll always have a loss in power so it really sounds like you don't have one.

You're operating above 3k, so it doesn't sound like your lugging, unless are you maybe in 5th gear? You won't really feel power WOT in 5th gear at 3k because of the gearing, it will just build boost. 3k WOT in 5th gear isn't really lugging it, but close enough.
Stock tune peaks at 21 (on 2015+ cars it ALMOST hits the 3/4 mark..on a 13 or 14 it hits slightly past the 3/4 mark since we max at 25psi vs 30psi) then tapers down to 15 to 16 where it holds, so it's a little higher than you originally said here. If he's only hitting the half way mark then he definitely might still have a small boost leak.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Stock tune peaks at 21 (on 2015+ cars it ALMOST hits the 3/4 mark..on a 13 or 14 it hits slightly past the 3/4 mark since we max at 25psi vs 30psi) then tapers down to 15 to 16 where it holds, so it's a little higher than you originally said here. If he's only hitting the half way mark then he definitely might still have a small boost leak.

Really? My needle has never gone above 15psi. Granted, when I'm doing a WOT pull I'm not fixated on the gauge so it could easily peak when I'm not looking. Is it still possible to have an intermittent boost leak though?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,167 Posts
Really? My needle has never gone above 15psi. Granted, when I'm doing a WOT pull I'm not fixated on the gauge so it could easily peak when I'm not looking. Is it still possible to have an intermittent boost leak though?
Well you can have a baby leak and only be losing a few pounds for sure. However stock is definitely peaking at 21, heat depending it might only hit like 19 or 20psi, but it definitely averages 19-21 stock at peak in 3rd and 4th when you punch it if you don't have an issue.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I'll have to look into that after work then and try and pay better attention because now I'm worried that I have a factory boost leak haha

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,167 Posts
I'll have to look into that after work then and try and pay better attention because now I'm worried that I have a factory boost leak haha
Most common death in the system is the garbage stock BPV if you still have it still. I'd recommend @Boomba Racing :cool: haha

·
Registered
530 Posts
Most common death in the system is the garbage stock BPV if you still have it still. I'd recommend @Boomba Racing :cool: haha
I actually just started researching BOV's the other day. Turbosmart was where I was leaning because reviews say it's not quite as loud as the Boomba. Is that the only difference between the 2? Or is there something else functionally I haven't found yet?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts