Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 2013 focus st and want to up the boost a little bit for the track but don’t have the money to do a bunch of other mods do u guys have a recommendation for what company I should go to and what kind of tune to up the boost but also keep it reliable as it is my daily driver and recommendations

·
Premium Member
3,648 Posts
Don't worry about a tune for the track, you'll need brakes and a FMIC long before the tune.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Also if you plan on hitting the track a bunch plan on getting a set of dedicated summer/track tires.
All seasons work okish but won't grip anywhere near as good as some summers. If you have some extra money you'll probably want to look at some lighter weight wheels.

But I second the above statement as more important than tires if you're bone stock.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
294 Posts
Yep, intercooler is your friend here. Also delete that front grill mesh thing. You could probably make it a few hot laps before having to do a cool down lap. But maybe you live in a place where it's nice and cool. Also.. just so you can keep an eye on things. An AccessPort is a great tool. First mod I got was my AP.

Reactions: frankty

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
467 Posts
Yep, intercooler is your friend here. Also delete that front grill mesh thing. You could probably make it a few hot laps before having to do a cool down lap. But maybe you live in a place where it's nice and cool. Also.. just so you can keep an eye on things. An AccessPort is a great tool. First mod I got was my AP.
I thought I'd read that guys who removed the backing to open up the honeycomb grill and the rubber air director thing ended up with more overheating issues? Did I read that incorrectly?

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
294 Posts
I thought I'd read that guys who removed the backing to open up the honeycomb grill and the rubber air director thing ended up with more overheating issues? Did I read that incorrectly?
Don't remove the rubber thingy. I noticed cooler charge temps on my AP. And I never see coolant above 196° with normal driving. Up a steep 1 mile hill I hit 212° full boost with about 80° outside. Also keep an eye on those oil temps..

Reactions: rob99rt

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Track time doesnt need a tune or more power. You want reliability and safety.

FMIC
Track oriented brake pads
High quality brake fluid
Good condition tires
Top off all other vital fluids
Helmet that meets or exceeds track standards

From there youll find out the weak spots of the car after about 15min of open track time ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was thinking Access Port as well. Seems expensive, but factor in how EASY it is todo.

·
Premium Member
2014 Focus ST ST3.
294 Posts
Worth every penny. And you will be limited on most other HP mods as far as getting the potential out of them without it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts