Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wanted to share our timeline as we work through the SCT software for the Focus ST. First off the motor is extremely stout down low and throoughout the mid range. What it seems to be lacking is more power up top. The low end torque throw you back in the seat and pulls strong mid way through the powerband. After that...pppphhhhhhttttttt falls on its face.

Our initial testing one the Bosch ecu confirmed a few things we had already learned from previous Bosch ecus of recent. Anything with a turbocharger from the factory is going to have an extreme amouynt of torque management implemented. We loaded the SCT tune that is being sold by other vendors and low and behold it netted what some had thought esspecially COBB. Their statements caused some extreme conflict when the went head to head in their own test versus the SCT tune. First off I agree with Trey Cobb 100% stating that the Torque limits were restricting power. Having a few years with Bosch & Siemens ecus which implement these tactics, this was the first thing we searched for in the SCT software. TA DAH...plenty of tables there to work with for increasing the factory torque limitations. There actually overall as well as individual limits based on gear and throttle request etc....

What we notice is that the car makes the same power run after run with either the 3" exhaust, 3" DP or our intake. Only variance was about 10-15 ft lbs of torque. overal HP stayed in the same range. In fact on the runs where the car was making additional power the ecu pulled so much timing that the AFR richened up quite aggressively. This happened right where peak HP was at and the power dropped below stock levels. This is why so many to date have tried to put on exhausts and DP and not made significant gains. What it boils down to is COBB or SCT dont even both putting a part on your car without a reflash that incorporates torque limit increases. Most recently we built an intake and exhaust for the new Audi S6 twin turbo. and ran into the same issues. Car showed decent increases but after driving around for a couple days and going back onto the dyno it was making the same power as stock. Word to the wise car manufacturers are allot smarter than you think. They're not going to give you a loaded gun :cool2:

We will hopefully concluded our testing tomorrow. Im spending the night editing a map and going over todays datalogs to get a good starting base tune tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
So your saying that for EVERY additional modification a new tune is required to keep the hp gain?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ecu compensates very well to mods but in stock form its limiting engine output. Its designed to deliver power exactly the same no matter the conditions. But the drawback is that it also limits overall increases from mods without first increasing the limits. You will need a tune of some sorts no matter what. But a tune every time you add another mod wont be necessary.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. Tuning present day cars must be a real SOB huh? lol

·
Registered
92 Posts
just a question do any of these ecu's have the capability to carry multiple tunes? I know I had an ecu in my vw that would allow me to hold in a button on the steering column can't remember which one but it would flash my check engine light a few times to let me know which tune I was in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ok i have a sct with a steeda stage 2 tune going to add a catless downpipe will i need a retune?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.