Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some tuning help. I have a 2016 with 1537 miles. The car came with a Cobb downpipe and a Turbosmart BOV. I have a Cobb Accessport but the original owner did not. The car is throwing a CEL for too much flow past the O2 sensor. I am getting ready to drive the car across country and I am looking for a tune for the car. Since I am new to the whole FoST thing I don't know where to turn for tuning help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I am looking for some tuning help. I have a 2016 with 1537 miles. The car came with a Cobb downpipe and a Turbosmart BOV. I have a Cobb Accessport but the original owner did not. The car is throwing a CEL for too much flow past the O2 sensor. I am getting ready to drive the car across country and I am looking for a tune for the car. Since I am new to the whole FoST thing I don't know where to turn for tuning help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!!!
Downpipes will cause the CEL to come on if there is not a cat. Do you know if it is catless? I would go to Stratified's website and do some reading. That'll tell you anything you want to know.

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/

Reactions: Mbiro594

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The DP is a Cobb which I thought they only had a catted downpipe....am I wrong? I mean I just got in and it is dark. I will look at everything tomorrow when there is light. I literally have not even driven the car yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
+1 for stratified! Great company, get their e30 tune as well if you have e85 near you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
The DP is a Cobb which I thought they only had a catted downpipe....am I wrong? I mean I just got in and it is dark. I will look at everything tomorrow when there is light. I literally have not even driven the car yet.
It's a "high flow" cat which doesn't perform the same as the stock catalyst. As it doesn't filter as much as the stock would, I am not surprised to see it throw a code.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Thank you!!!!
Running a catless downpipe with no cel thrown. Using one of these with the smallest insert.

https://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-11619-J-Style-Restrictor-Adjustable/dp/B00AQ7972O

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So can this be corrected just by tuning? As I said I bought it this way. I have the stock downpipe but won't have time to put back on the car before I head back west.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you buy a flash tune from stratified you can have that light disabled. The light is on because it is out of the factory spec not because it is hurting your car.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The Catless or high flow dp removes the largest bottleneck in your exhaust. The rest of the factory exhaust flows really good, good enough for the factory turbo anyways. Your turbo will spool quicker and your engine can exhale easier. With a proper tune to take full advantage of your downpipe you will notice some improvements. Go to the Stratified sub-forum and read up on virtual dyno and data logging. You can make a virtual graph of your car as it sits and again after the tune (if you get one) so you can see the difference for yourself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for the input. All very helpful. I appreciate the help since I am trying to learn as much as I can.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Keep in mind our cars load target in the ecu. In a nutshell that means the ecu was given a specific load or power rating and once it hits it it will not allow it to go any higher. You can bolt on whatever you want but without a tune you will not properly reap the rewards.

·
Registered
86 Posts
20170320_115627.jpg I'm running the middle sized orifice in this vms j defouler and no cel or ill manners at all. My o2 monitor is still ready, so if I lived in an emission state, id still be good. Think it was $27 shipped on ebay. Can't speak for running it without a tune, but I've been running Torrie's tune for about a month and then did a catless downpipe....holy crap! I did a resonator delete with the dp, not sure what the car sounds like outside, but I think the tone in the cabin is perfect now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So is a DP alone doing anything for performance....I have never heard of doing just a DP.
DP alone or Catback exhaust alone in our ST is more about noise than performance with the stock turbo. Gains are very minimal and may assist in better spool response and top end. This car is all about Torque and loads of it and proper ECU calibration is a must for power and safety gain. Do a research and you will learn. plenty of proven material available in this forum and blogs.

You already have the AP, spend on a good calibration from your preferred pro tuner + upgraded FMIC and it will transform your car into a beast :eek: Lots of good quality proven choices with FMIC. (ie. Forge, Mountune, Cobb, Airtec, Steeda-CPE)

·
Registered
137 Posts
do you have the stock blow off valve?? sometime the blow off valve can cause a CEL. you also said the car has a downpipe, do you know if the car is tuned for all the mods it has?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey all, sorry to jump in on this, i am seeking some direction. I have a '14 ST2 with full bolt ons, have had the car a year now and im almost certain it is tuned but i am not 100% sure. I am hoping someone can point me a good direction as far as Tuners go in COLORADO. I know of a few but not sure who is best when it comes to our car and the knowledge of them. I am wanting to get a base done to confirm whether it is tuned or not and decide actions moving forward.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hey all, sorry to jump in on this, i am seeking some direction. I have a '14 ST2 with full bolt ons, have had the car a year now and im almost certain it is tuned but i am not 100% sure. I am hoping someone can point me a good direction as far as Tuners go in COLORADO. I know of a few but not sure who is best when it comes to our car and the knowledge of them. I am wanting to get a base done to confirm whether it is tuned or not and decide actions moving forward.
[/QUOT

·
Registered
2,499 Posts

There are ways check if you are tuned or not the easiest way since there may only be one map and map switching may not work. Just to get the car up to operating temperature so your oil temp is the least a quarter of the way up. Then put the car in first gear, push the clutch to the floor, and then mash the gas to the floor fast and hard all the way. It should stop at a preset RPM if it goes to redline chances are you don't have a tune.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts