Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a post like 5 months ago asking if anyone else has the annoying problem of their BOV going off every second or two at certain levels of throttle/speeds. At 80mph if I am on the highway and keeping the throttle steady my boost psi is around -3 to -1 and the BOV will fire repeatedly every second or two, and apparently a lot of others have the issue and claim it's normal. Well it's gotten much more annoying recently and I was wondering if anyone has gotten their tune adjusted to get rid of it, as well as what that entails? Passengers have been complaining about it a lot recently and that has me really noticing it.

I can let off and slow to like 75mph or speed up a little to get rid of it (as well as get rid of my gas quicker lol) but 80 is a common cruising speed on the way to work.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Symposer delete will fix this. Run a true vacuum source instead of leaving it up to the ECU.

·
Vendor
3,278 Posts
The hissing noise you are referring to sounds pretty normal based on what we've seen and experienced with these pieces. If it is making a "hissing" noise and goes away as soon as you hit the gas, it is perfectly normal. The reason it makes noises like that is because the valve is electronically controlled and is metered by the ECU via a solenoid, not purely by a vacuum source; this causes some noises like what you're experiencing. As long as the three screws are tightened properly on our BOV and the o rings are still in place, you are good to go. The car made this noise before, but you would never hear it due to the fact that it would be venting to intake rather than atmosphere. Since the turbos on these cars are so small, they are known to vent even when not making boost.

In order to make it stop “hissing” and vent in a more normal fashion, you can have a protuner adjust the BPV tables on your vehicle. You can also run a vacuum line to the BOV from a true vacuum source like a symposer delete. Running the line from something like this will make the BOV vent a lot less often and only after the vehicle has actually been in boost.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Symposer delete will fix this. Run a true vacuum source instead of leaving it up to the ECU.
Had the symposer delete since I bought the vehicle.

@Boomba Racing On my next tune update I might have to see if Stratified can adjust the tables slightly to see if that helps it. Not too drastic of an issue, but enough to be a nuisance if you are commonly doing 80mph to work. Since the Boomba BOV is so wonderfully loud (not sarcasm, I do love it haha) it makes the issue more noticeable at speed. I don't know 100% if it's what you're describing though, what you are referring to sounds like when I go low speeds and ALMOST hit boost and let off the throttle. When I do that it will "hiss" as though it's sucking air back through instead of venting. I'm talking about a full blown "Pssshhh" like any other blow off between shifts every second or two as though I'm gunning it and letting off every second or two.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mine definitely doesn't do that. But I do have a symposer delete. Stage 3 with the cpe exhale hks ssqv kit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When it released every second or so it'll fluctuate from -1 to -3 psi also as though it's literally venting to maintain a number in between. Must be RIGHT ON a threshold for venting.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have the Boomba BOV with no line from my symposer delete, and mine never goes off like you're describing. If I'm cruising at 80, I have to hit the gas harder and lift off in order to make the BOV go off. It never goes off under steady throttle though.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Boomba BOV with no line from my symposer delete, and mine never goes off like you're describing. If I'm cruising at 80, I have to hit the gas harder and lift off in order to make the BOV go off. It never goes off under steady throttle though.
Are you tuned? I never noticed mine until after my tune (stratified)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Are you tuned? I never noticed mine until after my tune (stratified)
Yeah, Stratified tune. The BOV did seem to go off pretty easily and I recently asked them to adjust my tune to make it less sensitive. The change they made didn't make a huge difference, but it definitely helped. Still never had the problem you're describing though.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I made a post like 5 months ago asking if anyone else has the annoying problem of their BOV going off every second or two at certain levels of throttle/speeds. At 80mph if I am on the highway and keeping the throttle steady my boost psi is around -3 to -1 and the BOV will fire repeatedly every second or two, and apparently a lot of others have the issue and claim it's normal. Well it's gotten much more annoying recently and I was wondering if anyone has gotten their tune adjusted to get rid of it, as well as what that entails? Passengers have been complaining about it a lot recently and that has me really noticing it.

I can let off and slow to like 75mph or speed up a little to get rid of it (as well as get rid of my gas quicker lol) but 80 is a common cruising speed on the way to work.
My car was doing the same thing, I just emailed my tuner DHM and they adjusted for it in that range. Since then I have not had a single issue with it and its been almost a month.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My car was doing the same thing, I just emailed my tuner DHM and they adjusted for it in that range. Since then I have not had a single issue with it and its been almost a month.
Awesome. I could ignore it at first, but on certain days when I'm passing someone at 80 and it's going "PSSSH.....PSSSH.....PSSSH" as I go past them and they give me weird looks it draws my attention to it and drives me nuts haha.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome. I could ignore it at first, but on certain days when I'm passing someone at 80 and it's going "PSSSH.....PSSSH.....PSSSH" as I go past them and they give me weird looks it draws my attention to it and drives me nuts haha.
Yeah it gets quite annoying after awhile. Good luck with it Stratified should be able to fix it quickly.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
660 Posts
When it released every second or so it'll fluctuate from -1 to -3 psi also as though it's literally venting to maintain a number in between. Must be RIGHT ON a threshold for venting.
My Boomba BOV does this as well. Doesn't bother me but good to know I can fix it by running a line from my symposer delete to the BOV as a real vacuum source.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
If i run a line from symposer delete what do you do with existing line to solenoid

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
You put a vacuum cap on the solenoid where the line for the bov would be (the one that points to the driver side.).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts