Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filled up yesterday at a normally reliably high quality fuel station and noticed my OAR dropped -.08 after about 20 minutes. It appears most stations have gone to winter blend :( at least in PA anyway. Winter wheels and tires will go on after I get my fender replaced this week (Aunt backed into it and destroyed it yesterday) and I'll go into grandma mode.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good thinking - may be time to change that tune. I was thinking of the 91 tune and still run 93...
If you could reliably guarantee the same octane discrepancy then that would work. But if one station's 93 is equivalent to 91 then you go to another that is still about the same as 93 (top tier for example) then it wouldn't be very beneficial.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Do we need to change our tunes even if we are still running 93 octane? The gas in CA is especially crappy.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do we need to change our tunes even if we are still running 93 octane? The gas in CA is especially crappy.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
I'm not changing my tune, just going to take it easy. Expect OAR to drop and for minor negative corrections. I got a -1.4 negative correction in cyl. 2 yesterday on a quick WOT while testing to see if my OAR was dropping.

Reactions: HBGeek

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
One good thing about living in south Alabama is I don't have to worry about winter gas and I run summer tires all year. :RockOn:

·
Registered
2,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They change to winter blend everywhere. There is no state that doesnt get winter blend
Are you sure about that? If so it must not affect us much. My OAR has always stayed glued to -1 even in Jan/Feb.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They change to winter blend everywhere. There is no state that doesnt get winter blend
Not in the Southern States. Only Northern Wintery states get it. There is an invisible line across the country that delineates where the blends change.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes positive. RVP is mandated in every state by the EPA
Yes, but Winter Blend gas in South Florida is not the same as winter blend in Michigan. In fact there is no single summer or single winter blend. In fact there's over 20 different blends across our country It is based on a number of things. For example Washington State summer blend can be the equivalent to a South Florida Winter blend.

Summer-Blend vs Winter-Blend Gasoline: What?s the Difference?

Basically the higher the temperature, the lower RVP gas is required and thus more expensive.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Yes, but Winter Blend gas in South Florida is not the same as winter blend in Michigan. In fact there is no single summer or single winter blend. In fact there's over 20 different blends across our country It is based on a number of things. For example Washington State summer blend can be the equivalent to a South Florida Winter blend.

Basically the higher the temperature, the lower RVP gas is required and thus more expensive.
Well I learned something today.

Reactions: SIstomper

·
Registered
5,568 Posts

yes sir that is very correct.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
WTH is OAR. Now I am wondering what I should be monitoring on my AP3 LOL
Octane Adjust Ratio.

If you have a tune (I am tuned by Stratified) then you are advised to watch your OAR and work on getting it to -1.0.

Anything above that such at -.99 to 0.00 or even positive like .99 is not perfect fuel for your tune. The "more positive" of a number you see the worse the gas is.

It's your tune adjusting for the octane in the fuel. That's why winter blend sucks, because it has lower octane...so your tune has to adjust for it and it might drop like mine did.

When OAR drops on a stratified tune (some doesn't get affected as much) it loses power. So my car is much less powerful when I have bad gas, plus it gets more knock like all cars do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts