Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I am completely new to the FoST world, I have worked with hondas in the past and I am very familiar with the flashpro and we literally only had 1 good tuner which was vitviper, but I have noticed that for the FoST there are multiple tuners and software to tune the car, my question is who is the best tuner and what would be the safest tune to run? I currently have a green filter, MBRP catback, future plans are a catted dp and a FMIC, I do not plan to make crazy power but I do want that extra hp power from my parts but I want to do it safely. What do you all suggest? (I did my research before posting but I did not find an specific answer)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok so I am completely new to the FoST world, I have worked with hondas in the past and I am very familiar with the flashpro and we literally only had 1 good tuner which was vitviper, but I have noticed that for the FoST there are multiple tuners and software to tune the car, my question is who is the best tuner and what would be the safest tune to run? I currently have a green filter, MBRP catback, future plans are a catted dp and a FMIC, I do not plan to make crazy power but I do want that extra hp power from my parts but I want to do it safely. What do you all suggest? (I did my research before posting but I did not find an specific answer)
Beating a dead horse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
163 Posts
JST or Panda would be your best bet.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ordered the AP the day or so after purchasing the vehicle, AP and tuning from Stratified including calibration revisions from log reviews. When I add parts I’ll have the dialed in as I go. What I do w/ my FXT and Evo as well. I log, log, log and make changes where needed when ever something is changed or added with any of my set ups.

Enables you to keep motor happy, strong, and safe. Also gives you ability to help diagnose any issues that may arise after a change to the set up. I make slight changes in the Evos ecu summer to winter

Pick a tuner with a good reputation an track record or go to school for it haha

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just finished a 91 custom tune and an e30 tune with Justin from freektune. Nothing short of amazing highly recommend him. He dialed in my tune to perfection.
But before any tune I HIGHLY suggest getting a new intercooler. Stock unit is garbage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered the AP the day or so after purchasing the vehicle, AP and tuning from Stratified including calibration revisions from log reviews. When I add parts I’ll have the dialed in as I go. What I do w/ my FXT and Evo as well. I log, log, log and make changes where needed when ever something is changed or added with any of my set ups.

Enables you to keep motor happy, strong, and safe. Also gives you ability to help diagnose any issues that may arise after a change to the set up. I make slight changes in the Evos ecu summer to winter

Pick a tuner with a good reputation an track record or go to school for it haha
Thanks for the info, thats good to know!

JST or Panda would be your best bet.

Sent from Dr. Lights lab
I will look into them. Thank you!

Stratified and Freektune are no slouches either.
I have heard good things about both, but I heard that one of those tuners have the most blown engines? I know it could be the driver beaten the crap out of the car but that worries me.

Agreed. I have used both tuners and have no complaints with either.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...
Thats good to hear, how many miles have you put on each tune?

Just finished a 91 custom tune and an e30 tune with Justin from freektune. Nothing short of amazing highly recommend him. He dialed in my tune to perfection.
But before any tune I HIGHLY suggest getting a new intercooler. Stock unit is garbage.
Are you on the stock turbo? Ive heard good things about freektune, and yes that is the next on my list I’ve heard the stock intercooler sucks.

I’ve heard that a Mountune or a ford racing tune would cover some sort of warranty if anything goes wrong, is this true?

·
Registered
440 Posts
An upgraded FMIC is a must for these cars once you start tuning. The stock unit is okay for people who just putter around town and don’t drive it like Ford intended.

I personally installed the Depo Racing 3.5 and have been very pleased with the performance.

As to your question about how many miles I’ve put on my tunes. The exhaust, RMM and AP were the first mods I did to the car so I’d say I’ve put roughly 9k miles on each tune. I flip back and forth between my medium crackle Stratified tune and the Freektune depending on my mood, and have put almost 20k on the car.

I will say this though as a plug for Justin @Freektune. If you purchase your AP from him, you can add a full eTune for $75. You just don’t get the crackles when he tunes your car.

Sent from a galaxy far, far away...

·
Registered
172 Posts
We really should have a Tune/Handheld sticky with an outline of each company, pros, cons, and experiences. I've only ever worked with Stratified, I wonder if another thread member who has experience with every tuner would be willing to write one up?

·
Registered
344 Posts
To be honest I would use the search function and read the many threads. There is a lot of information on the tuners/tunes and associated hardware. You will only get a small picture in this thread but there has been many years of thread discussions on this forum.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Please, please use the search. There's so much information on this Forum alone regarding your question. Don't be lazy. I've personally had Stratified and Freektune. Like them both. JST is the big-hitter right now and is a great tuner. If you stick with JST, Stratified, Freek, or Panda, you won't be disappointed. None of these tunes are going to steer you wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Please, please use the search. There's so much information on this Forum alone regarding your question. Don't be lazy. I've personally had Stratified and Freektune. Like them both. JST is the big-hitter right now and is a great tuner. If you stick with JST, Stratified, Freek, or Panda, you won't be disappointed. None of these tunes are going to steer you wrong.
They might torque-steer you though :cool:

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
We really should have a Tune/Handheld sticky with an outline of each company, pros, cons, and experiences. I've only ever worked with Stratified, I wonder if another thread member who has experience with every tuner would be willing to write one up?
I would also appreciate this.

I ran Cobb OTS (fyi to OP this is free with an accessport) on my stock ST for about half a year, only really felt a small power gain. Then I invested the $50 USD for stratified stage 1 OTS tune & that was totally worth it.

In regards to actual tuning device, I think the accessport is winner hands down.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I would also appreciate this.

I ran Cobb OTS (fyi to OP this is free with an accessport) on my stock ST for about half a year, only really felt a small power gain. Then I invested the $50 USD for stratified stage 1 OTS tune & that was totally worth it.

In regards to actual tuning device, I think the accessport is winner hands down.
There isn't many people who have tried all of them or even several of them, most have their preference (Stratified for me) and they stick to it. I will say this though, I would never, ever recommend someone just get the Accessport and run the OTS tune options. They've caused a lot of problems and aren't much gain compared to the fact you can buy the Accessport from a tuner like Stratified and get a free, personalized for YOUR car/mods, more powerful, hands on tune with many more features for the exact same price. I'm debating on typing up a sticky-able post after getting some information from others here on the forum that have a lot of knowledge about them all individually.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
I have no tune yet but after diggin around here i am 99% sure i am going with Strat... just have some things to do prior...

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Flashed in the Strat tune, ho-le-fook hahah, did some logging and will send them in for revision
Guess you like it... you do an FMIC yet?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Down pipe on the way and once installed I’ll see if they want to send me an adjustment or log it and have them revise the tune again. I def don’t mind floating some cash as I mod to keep the tune dialed it 100%

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
I have no tune yet but after diggin around here i am 99% sure i am going with Strat... just have some things to do prior...
Definitely a good, guaranteed way to be in good hands. Some of the most knowledgeable of our platform in the business. And that Traction Control they offer...oh man.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts