Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently tuned on 91 octane and have been for months now. I won't say by who to keep from stirring anything up, but I'm have some minor "issues" i'd like some feedback on.

1) Clutch feel is dramatically changed

- With the factory tune the clutch grabs quickly and is a very smooth transition. With the tune installed the clutch grabs very late and it's difficult to get a smooth transition. It's hard to explain, but the clutch seems to just hesitate to grab and then ends up grabbing very quickly at the end of the stroke of the pedal. This makes driving the car difficult and I end up riding the hell out of the clutch. Now I've been driving manual trannys for over a decade, so it's not inexperience causing this.

2) Engine Rocking

- When up to cruising speed (highway etc.) the engine is noticeably rocking back and forth when pressing the gas pedal. You can feel it thump back and forth when pressing and releasing the throttle. It can be felt mostly in high gears at low RPMs. It's very annoying, makes the car feel cheap, and I can't help but feel like something is going to break. I installed a Mountune RMM to try and remedy the issue, but all that did was add NVH and make the engine rocking feel more precise. Also the combination of the RMM & clutch feel made driving the car an absolute mess.

Has anyone experienced any of these issues while tuned? My tuner stated he had to make some adjustments to my "out of boost timing" due to LSPI causing negative ignition corrections. I'm wondering if the boost is just coming in super fast/early which is causing the issues i'm seeing. This would explain why the engine is slapping back and forth, but I don't understand why this would have an impact on the clutch feel. For now, I have re-installed the factory eFocus mount and uninstalled the tune.

Input from someone with tuning experience would be very helpful.

Thank you,

--Bradley--

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
1) Never heard of such a problem related to the tune.
2) Take a log and send it back to the tuner, if they charge for reading your logs like a certain tuner does sucks to be you.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
my tune (strat) had absolutely no effect on how the clutch felt. at least based off of what I've seen with other manual cars, I don't see how it could cause that. pressing the clutch causes hydraulic pressure to cause the slave cylinder to disengage/reengage the clutch. it should be a purely mechanical operation. changing computer parameters should have no effect on this.

does the clutch go back to feeling normal if you return to the OEM tune?

·
Registered
2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST
23 Posts
Aloha Bradley. This is the same guy you had the convo with on Youtube. You're issue with the clutch sounds like you're might just be getting really use to your car. I do the same thing. I have a six puck clutch in my car and i worry all the time the about when it's gonna go out. Especially when the clutch started grabbing, what seemed, really high. then i embraced it and realized it allowed me to shift faster. By not having to push the clutch very far down.

As far as the motor bouncing around, mine, again, seems to do the same. It was way more apparent when the CPE Stage 2 RMM was installed(at the same time as the clutch). I wanna slap the gopro in the engine bay to see whats really going on. But, until I get a chance to really see whats going, I've come to the understanding that I'll fix it when it breaks. With better parts.

To do a quick follow up on our tuning convo, I'm done tuning with Randy. The car drives awesome for the elevation (elevation kills power). I get occational negative corrections but, nothing worse than -1.5. That's just driving around town. I don't get any negative corrections when doing a pull though. Thats about it for now. Gonna hunker down for the winter and hope for big turbo next spring.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Got me on the clutch as I thought it was hydraulic. Does the engine movement in higher gears happen in a certain RPM range? I know with these small displacement turbo engines it is not good to subject them to heavy load (lots of skinny pedal) in higher gears at low RPM. If I'm in 5th or 6th and under 3000 RPM and need to give it some umph, Ill grab a lower gear.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Tune won’t have any effect on something like your clutch catch point. We have a hydraulically controlled self-adjusting clutch; the engine parameters can’t change this.

As per on the highway and seeing engine slap, that’s sounding like you’re getting on it pretty hard in a high gear, at a low RPM and putting a lot of load on the motor. Not only will this get the motor to move, it also poses you the greatest change for LSPI and a very loud boom that pop your engine. Getting a rear motor mount will aid in the feeling of the engine rock, depending on the year of your ST and/or if the factory RMM had been upgraded or not, can help this.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yep sounds like youre not used to not having the factory rev hang
I heard about this and blew my mind when I actually saw it hang at like 4k rpm. I was gunning through highway traffic and couldn't decide if I wanted to up shift or go back into 4th which I was slightly ripping. I had the clutch down for a solid 3 seconds and just watched the needle not move at all...it was so weird.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Holy **** guys... my bad. I never replied to this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the replies about the tune. Most of what was going on has been resolved. My tuner made some adjustments to help with the engine rocking. I wasn't necessarily driving the car hard in low gears or loading the engine at low RPMs. I was noticing the issues mostly on the highway.

As for the clutch feel... Definitely rev hang. There is no doubt about it. I still haven't completely gotten used to the way the clutch feels with the tune installed. It was so hard to go back to stock after having the tune & RMM installed that I eventually reinstalled them and learned ways to deal with the issues.

Thanks again,

Bradley

·
Registered
530 Posts
Holy **** guys... my bad. I never replied to this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the replies about the tune. Most of what was going on has been resolved. My tuner made some adjustments to help with the engine rocking. I wasn't necessarily driving the car hard in low gears or loading the engine at low RPMs. I was noticing the issues mostly on the highway.

As for the clutch feel... Definitely rev hang. There is no doubt about it. I still haven't completely gotten used to the way the clutch feels with the tune installed. It was so hard to go back to stock after having the tune & RMM installed that I eventually reinstalled them and learned ways to deal with the issues.

Thanks again,

Bradley
Yup. Rev hang is designed for smoother, "slower", more pedestrian, just woke up for work and groggily shifting kind of shifts. Quick shifts, not so much. I've never not had rev hang, still not tuned, but I imagine there's going to be a definite learning curve on my morning commutes.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,200 Posts
Yup. Rev hang is designed for smoother, "slower", more pedestrian, just woke up for work and groggily shifting kind of shifts. Quick shifts, not so much. I've never not had rev hang, still not tuned, but I imagine there's going to be a definite learning curve on my morning commutes.
Honestly the learning curve is in your favor. You just need to shift a little faster or you'll notice the car lurch from letting the clutch out too slow. Rev hang sucks. I hated it. I only hated it thought because I've driven stick before a lot, beginners like it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Honestly the learning curve is in your favor. You just need to shift a little faster or you'll notice the car lurch from letting the clutch out too slow. Rev hang sucks. I hated it. I only hated it thought because I've driven stick before a lot, beginners like it.
I can agree with this.

Once you get used to shifting quickly, it will shift just as smooth. Especially if you like to drive spiritedly, this is probably a good "habit" to get into anyway.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah it hasn't bothered me much. I only started driving stick 2 and a half years ago about and I drive more or less pedestrian. When I do have fun and go for quick shifts in turns, I definitely notice it. I notice it most on 1-2 quick shift because the engine will be nearly 1000revs too high when I drop the clutch and it bogs and jerky

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been driving a manual transmission for 10+ years, and I've never had a turbo car with a tune like this before. I'm used to quick shifts with no rev hang at all. My tuner tells me that boost pressure builds much faster with my current tune and therefore rev hang is much more prevalent. I've learned to deal with it for the most part. If I keep shifting below 3.5K RPMs I don't notice the rev hang at all. Just hard to do with a custom tune that builds boost so quickly.

Not sure how many of you have a custom tune, but it completely transforms the way the car feels. After installing a Stedda FMIC & custom tuning, the car is night and day different. I'm tuned by Ryan Martin @ PD tuning. Highly... highly recommended.

https://www.pd-tuning.com/

1 - 15 of 15 Posts