Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, i have almost 1500 miles on my 17 ST3. I have finally gotten used to the car and i am starting to look at what my plans for the car are and what i want to start doing.

I have come to the conclusion that i want to go ahead and get a tune for the car. I did a bit of research with different tuning optinos and vendor and came up with a few questions for you guy.

1. i like the idea of the COBB stage 1 kit which includes RMM, high flow filter and their AP with access to maps whenever i want to download and flash them. This seem like a good option but what is you guys opinion on this kit?

2. I also looked at the stratified tune with COBB AP. If i decide to go this rout, do i still have access to all of the COBB maps? And, if i decide this is a good option for me, does the stratified tune only come with a single tune? or am i able to call them down the road when i get new mods and they adjust the map/tune for me?

3. last question...is anyone partial to either of these options or would you recommend a different option?

And because i know many will ask, my end goal would be around 300WHP. Not looking for much more than that for i am not trying to out run everything. Just from my experience this will get to the power level i feel would be comfortable and manageable for being a daily/mountain monster for me personally. I will also be planning to upgrade brakes, suspension, and wheels in the mix with all of this so keep everything well balanced. So, if anyone has further suggestions i would love to hear some feedback!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
300whp is a tall order from our K03 with out going W/MI.
thats what i have been reading. Im not opposed to going big turbo. I have seen a couple options that will feel close to stock and get me to where i want to be easy. This will more than likely be the mod i do after i have done everything else since it requires most of it anyway...

Edit: I may also want to add i would like to stay with standard 93/91 octane gas. this is for a couple of reason...
1. i take many road trips and when i leave my GA i tend to only find 91 so would be nice to have the option just in case.
2. there arent many pumps around me that sell E85 fuel. So for ease of use, 93 is everywhere around me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats what i have been reading. Im not opposed to going big turbo. I have seen a couple options that will feel close to stock and get me to where i want to be easy. This will more than likely be the mod i do after i have done everything else since it requires most of it anyway...

Edit: I may also want to add i would like to stay with standard 93/91 octane gas. this is for a couple of reason...
1. i take many road trips and when i leave my GA i tend to only find 91 so would be nice to have the option just in case.
2. there arent many pumps around me that sell E85 fuel. So for ease of use, 93 is everywhere around me.
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I would go with a tuner like Stratified or similar. They can give you tunes for multiple fuel types and you can also update your tune when you add new parts. Order the Cobb AP directly from the tuner.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mountune is a good option I think too.

Iv been working with Randy for the past month getting my car dialed in and have zero complaints. They also offer stage kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mountune is a good option I think too.

Iv been working with Randy for the past month getting my car dialed in and have zero complaints. They also offer stage kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I do like the aspect that they will work with you for 45 days to dial it all in. It does says it's extra to adjust it after mods though. Any idea on how much?

·
Registered
30 Posts
1. Personally you can get a much better bang for your buck piecing your own "stage 1" kit together. If you go Stratified you get a better tune with the same Accessport. I'd also recommend going with either the Boomba or CP-e stage 2 motor mount since they're both two peice and have great reviews. As for the air filter the COBB and Green filter are about the same price. It's probably going to be about $100 more expensive but the motor mounts and tune are well worth it.

2. This is the route I went with and yes you still have access to all of COBBs tunes as well as the tune that comes included with Stratified. From doing my research around the forums the COBB tunes aren't exactly the best when compared to other tuners like Stratified, Panda, Freektunes, etc.. With my personal experience with my OTS Stratified tune it was well worth the investment it made the car feel alot more responsive and possibly added a couple ponies as well.

3. I'm kind of partial to the Stratified option since that's the one I went with but honestly you really can't go wrong with the many options available to our platform. It just comes down to wether or not you're on a budget or if you like one brand name over the other. This is just my opinion and like I said you can't really go wrong either way you go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1. Personally you can get a much better bang for your buck piecing your own "stage 1" kit together. If you go Stratified you get a better tune with the same Accessport. I'd also recommend going with either the Boomba or CP-e stage 2 motor mount since they're both two peice and have great reviews. As for the air filter the COBB and Green filter are about the same price. It's probably going to be about $100 more expensive but the motor mounts and tune are well worth it.

2. This is the route I went with and yes you still have access to all of COBBs tunes as well as the tune that comes included with Stratified. From doing my research around the forums the COBB tunes aren't exactly the best when compared to other tuners like Stratified, Panda, Freektunes, etc.. With my personal experience with my OTS Stratified tune it was well worth the investment it made the car feel alot more responsive and possibly added a couple ponies as well.

3. I'm kind of partial to the Stratified option since that's the one I went with but honestly you really can't go wrong with the many options available to our platform. It just comes down to wether or not you're on a budget or if you like one brand name over the other. This is just my opinion and like I said you can't really go wrong either way you go.

Did you go with the custome tune or their standard flash tune?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Did you go with the custome tune or their standard flash tune?
Just the standard since I had no other mods than the Boomba RMM. I'm going to be ordering their custom tune here as soon once I pick up a down pipe.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just the standard since I had no other mods than the Boomba RMM. I'm going to be ordering their custom tune here as soon once I pick up a down pipe.

So after doing a little more research, I think I'm gunna go with the stratified flash tune. They offer a well priced option to update the tune when mods are added. I will also order the cpe rmm from them. Next question is do I go with the 55a or 70a bushing? Not sure what each means

·
Registered
30 Posts
So after doing a little more research, I think I'm gunna go with the stratified flash tune. They offer a well priced option to update the tune when mods are added. I will also order the cpe rmm from them. Next question is do I go with the 55a or 70a bushing? Not sure what each means
Are you going with the stage 1? And those are the ratings for how stiff they are. Pretty much 55a will have less NVH than 70a. With the stiffer option it'll be better able to handle increased torque so you can put it down to the wheels with the drawback of increased NVH.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are you going with the stage 1? And those are the ratings for how stiff they are. Pretty much 55a will have less NVH than 70a. With the stiffer option it'll be better able to handle increased torque so you can put it down to the wheels with the drawback of increased NVH.

I was looking at the stage 1 yes. Is it even worth looking at the stage 2? and please forgive my noobness on this but...what is NVH?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was looking at the stage 1 yes. Is it even worth looking at the stage 2? and please forgive my noobness on this but...what is NVH?
That's noise, vibrations, and harshness. I'd say it's definitely worth it but you'd have to do your own research around the forums and whatnot to see if that's what is going to fit your build the best. It is a little more on the expensive side but it is a quality product.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK i just ordered the COBB AP with the stratified tune. I have decided to hold off on the RMM for a little until i get the money saved up to get the stage 2 CPE 2 piece mount. It seems like the better buy and with the power level i want to get to may be the best option to get a good quality product now instead of settle for something and have to change it later. Thanks for everyone's opinion guys! Going to be typing out a parts list for everything i need to get to where i want to be. Probably gunna make a build thread to gather other opinions and data from everyone on here and start planning stuff out.

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
OK i just ordered the COBB AP with the stratified tune. I have decided to hold off on the RMM for a little until i get the money saved up to get the stage 2 CPE 2 piece mount. It seems like the better buy and with the power level i want to get to may be the best option to get a good quality product now instead of settle for something and have to change it later. Thanks for everyone's opinion guys! Going to be typing out a parts list for everything i need to get to where i want to be. Probably gunna make a build thread to gather other opinions and data from everyone on here and start planning stuff out.
Thanks and welcome to the family, we carry a variety of parts as well, if you buy from us we will update your tune fo' free fiddy.

Jeremy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts