Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I bought my car with very little info on the tunes in came with. I have the OTS Cobb tunes stage 0-3 which are obviously self explanatory. I also have a Mountune one, what I think is a custom tune (I’m not sure if they offer OTS tunes). the info on the AP kind of makes it sound like it’s maybe for a car not quiet with stage 3 parts? the mountune calibration feels much more aggressive than the OTS stage 3 tune but I don’t know if maybe it’s in my head. Is there a way to maybe plug into a PC to get more info on a tune? I’m debating running the mountune full time but I’m just not sure if it’s actually better.

Attachments

·
Registered
629 Posts
custom tunes usually have better power than OTS tunes.

mountune tunes are considered custom, as you can do revisions to dial the tune into your specific vehicle.

"stock or lightly modified" means "stage 1" aka can be completely stock or minor bolt-ons like air filter or w/e

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
custom tunes usually have better power than OTS tunes.

mountune tunes are considered custom, as you can do revisions to dial the tune into your specific vehicle.

"stock or lightly modified" means "stage 1" aka can be completely stock or minor bolt-ons like air filter or w/e
I guess if I waited a day I could have found out. It threw a code for the cat efficiency or something like that. I’m assuming cause it’s not tuned for a high flow cat?

·
Premium Member
2018 Ford Focus ST1
465 Posts
I guess if I waited a day I could have found out. It threw a code for the cat efficiency or something like that. I’m assuming cause it’s not tuned for a high flow cat?
Cat efficiency code can be dealt with by using a defouler to get the second O2 sensor out of the main exhaust stream.

If I remember right a lot of folks use the smallest orifice insert.

Reactions: junits15

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cat efficiency code can be dealt with by using a defouler to get the second O2 sensor out of the main exhaust stream.

If I remember right a lot of folks use the smallest orifice insert.
I’m surprised it doesn’t have one, the previous owner seems to have done everything else, and it passed smog when I bought it, we just had to put the stock tune back on. It never threw any codes on the stock tune. I guess it gives me something to look into this weekend. Would driving the car with that code cause any harm until I figure out the defouler or should I switch back to the OTS tune in the mean time?

·
Registered
629 Posts
some states only do emissions testing via obd2 port. some do exhaust sniffers.

tuners can disable P0420 to get rid of check engine light, but this would make cars fail in areas that do emissions testing. all depends how the tune was set up and how the exhaust is set up. defoulers trick some emissions test areas to pass.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some states only do emissions testing via obd2 port. some do exhaust sniffers.

tuners can disable P0420 to get rid of check engine light, but this would make cars fail in areas that do emissions testing. all depends how the tune was set up and how the exhaust is set up. defoulers trick some emissions test areas to pass.
I know how they work. Like I said I thought I had one because on the stock tune it never threw the light, and it passed smog. It’s only thrown that code on this tune. In California newer cars only get the obd test. I’m really not too worried about smog there’s ways around it, I’m just curious if it’s safe to run while throwing that code

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
That's just telling you that you don't have a cat Or it's not working properly. Should have nothing to do with how the car performs or runs.I drove mine for about a month like that till I got time to install a new O2 sensor it was bad at just over twenty thousand miles.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The car will be fine with that code.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts