Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to owning a st just picked up a 2017 st2 two weeks ago. At what mileage should I wait to flash it? I also was wondering what tune to go with, I know mountune, stratified, and fswerks seem to be the big three to choose from. Which one would you recommend? I am still 100% stock but was going to start with just a stage 1 tune.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I am new to owning a st just picked up a 2017 st2 two weeks ago. At what mileage should I wait to flash it? I also was wondering what tune to go with, I know mountune, stratified, and fswerks seem to be the big three to choose from. Which one would you recommend? I am still 100% stock but was going to start with just a stage 1 tune.
Are you worried about retaining a warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I will say if you didnt want to go with a cobb, torrie from sct unleashed ia a phenomenal tuner. He is tuning my big turbo 2016 st3. I had a cobb, but i liked his tunes better. One of the best out there.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
I cant speak for the others, but I have been pretty happy with my stage 1 tune from FSWerks. Im also generally picky, so if the tune would have induced any weird nuances with the car I would have ditched it. None whatsoever though, and idle has smoothed out over the stock tune.

IMHO, getting a tune is the best bang for the buck for power upgrade. If your worried about warranty, just unmarry the tune a few weeks before you take it in to the dealer and you will be fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the warranty would be nice to keep thats why I was looking into mountunes stage 1. But if just unmarring the tune before servicing reinstates the warranty then that's a option too.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Yeah the warranty would be nice to keep thats why I was looking into mountunes stage 1. But if just unmarring the tune before servicing reinstates the warranty then that's a option too.
Not sure why warranty is a constant subject around here, must because it's a Ford.

No such thing as Mountune Stage 1, only MP275 = $1,999

If you are really concerned about warranty, go with Ford's Calibration with Intake Scoop. It's $399 for the cal (True Blue) and $160 for the K&N Filter and Intake Scoop. Ignition timing is limited by the fuel you run.

Warranty Coverage - https://performanceparts.ford.com/Warranty/Default.asp

Must be installed by an SAE certified dealer.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
It doesnt work that way. If they happen to void your warranty there is no "reinstating".

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with Stratified and I'm very happy that I did. I had about 9000 miles on the car at the time when I tuned it. I even opted for the tune refinement for the extra $50. The car feels amazing after the tune, and it's hard to believe it's the same car. They have great communication and were very helpful & informative with all my question. The current engine mods I have are, one step colder plugs, Green filter, Borla cat back and Depo 3.5 intercooler.

·
Registered
477 Posts
This is what I was refuring to by stage 1 from them https://www.mountuneusa.com/COBB-V3-Accessport-ECU-Flasher-Focus-ST-Fiesta-ST-p/ap3-for-001fb.htm . I mean the warranty isn't super important if something where to go I doubt it would be because of the tune. It's just nice knowing you have cushion.
That's a pretty good deal for an Accessport and custom calibration from Mountune. If you spend another $350 you can get the B1 package, which adds their intercooler. I recommend doing as many performance mods as you can at once when you get your Accessport from Mountune, since you're getting the custom calibration.

·
Registered
355 Posts
+1 for Torrie, I've had his tune (currently at Stage 2) for several months now and compared to what I had before (FRPP ProCal) his tune made my car's power band so much more linear with no noticeable drop at the top end. He's also pretty responsive with after sale support. Having said that, if you're concerned with the Warranty, I would suggest looking at the FRPP tune since it doesn't void the warranty (provided you get installed at the dealership) and gets you substantial torque gains that you'll definitely feel. I liked the FRPP tune when I had it and would've stuck with it if only my dealership hadn't reflashed my PCM when I took it in for warranty service.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a 2015 with a big turbo currently tuning up to around 400. Early on I bought the accessport from Stratified and used their OTS tune, which was excellent and much better than the Cobb OTS. Early on I got an FMIC and intake, and then a DP. It was at this point I decided to go with a e30 custom Stratified tune and I CANNOT say enough about how it became a new car. Absolutely the best change you can make IF you have access to e85. And IF you have a warranty issue, just return it to stock, reflash with the stock tune and take it to the dealership. Unless it's OBVIOUS you broke the car with aftermarket parts or tune (which won't happen if you adhere to the tuners instructions on what parameters to watch as you drive) they will fix it. I've spoken to many people with Ford and they can't tell if you've flashed the car so long as you return it to stock tune.

In addition I did another custom Strat tune after the big turbo and now doing a top-up tune after installing Xtra Fuel kit. I have great results with them and am completely confident in their processes and knowledge base on the platform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Twizzty

·
Registered
277 Posts
Unleash that sucker!

Torrie is awesome. DO NOT underestimate the convenience of life time revisions + Torrie's skills. Worked through a problem with him over 2 days and had my car running how I wanted. Looking at other tuners' response times this would have taken a month+.

Oh and my car rips, lol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Personally I just ordered the FRPP tune because warranty is a factor for me and I liked what I saw from some individuals before and after dyno lines. I like the idea of more Available HP and torque even if it doesn't increase peak HP. Also after speaking with FR techs they explained that any ASE certified tech can install it not just the dealers. You just need to keep record of the original purchase of the parts and the actual install to register. Even says it on the warranty print out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I like the idea of more Available HP and torque even if it doesn't increase peak HP.
the size of the OEM turbo pretty much limits the peak HP, especially since the snail falls off pretty quick as the revs climb and you need higher revs to get bigger HP numbers.

honestly with the OEM turbo, peak HP doesn't really matter, its all about area under the curve.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts