Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
It looks like you really need a tune for this mod, I bet theres a bit more to be uncorked with this mani
I think many would agree. Hard part when you do this no one is exactly the same. You could test and tune 100 cars and get 100 results. Everyone's venue of parts they have is different. Way we tested is bare minimum gains you will get. It will only get better from there.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hey Ocysp! Are the fancy Ford hose "connectors" easy to unplug? I havent installed my Moroso catch can because I fear breaking them when trying to take out the intake manifold.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Hey Ocysp! Are the fancy Ford hose "connectors" easy to unplug? I havent installed my Moroso catch can because I fear breaking them when trying to take out the intake manifold.
Which hoses? I'm assuming you're talking about the PCV hose? It's decently easy to get to once you unbolt the manifold. Basically, the steps are:
  1. Unbolt manifold
  2. Loosen top clamp from intercooler pipe
  3. Remove hose for sound symposer
  4. Disconnect MAP sesnor connector, move it to the side
  5. Pull the manifold a few inches away from head
  6. Use both hands to reach around the backside of manifold to get to the PCV hose connector
  7. Press in on both sides of the connector with your thumbs and pull it off
  8. Pull manifold directly straight up to allow you room to see the throttlebody connector, then disconnect the TB connector
  9. Disconnect the EVAP line from the manifold. It uses two clips to retain it in place. Be careful not to break the clips... ask me how I know :D
  10. Completely remove manifold from engine bay
  11. Unbolt TB from stock mani
  12. Move the TB o-ring, and the port gaskets from the stock mani over to the TTR mani, bolt TB to TTR mani
  13. Move mani into place, connect TB connector.
  14. Try to get mani onto the intercooler piping as much as you can. Hook a socket and extension up to the *bottom* clamp which should still be tight. Grab ahold of the socket and extension to be able to control the intercooler piping while you press the mani into the pipe. Tighten top intercooler clamp once the pipe is fully seated into the mouth of the TB. Do not try to place the mani onto the head yet.
  15. Hook up the EVAP line
  16. Hook up the PCV connector
  17. Now fit the mani onto the head. The mani has two guide studs that will need to fit onto the head. You may have to twist the mani slightly to get the studs to go straight into the holes in the head.
  18. Bolt up the mani. The far left bolt will be slightly difficult to access. I used my fingers to tighten it down most of the way, then used a box end wrench that is angled slightly for it. Position the wrench through the accessory belt to be able to access it. It's pretty much the only way to access the bolt to tighten it down with a wrench.
  19. Remove the MAP sensor from the old mani and put it on the new mani and connect the connector.
Edit: also, the intercooler clamps may be different from what I have. I have the Cobb IC so they included T-bolt styled clamps. Your results may vary while messing with the intercooler clamps :D

·
Registered
740 Posts
Which hoses? I'm assuming you're talking about the PCV hose? It's decently easy to get to once you unbolt the manifold. Basically, the steps are:
  1. Unbolt manifold
  2. Loosen top clamp from intercooler pipe
  3. Remove hose for sound symposer
  4. Disconnect MAP sesnor connector, move it to the side
  5. Pull the manifold a few inches away from head
  6. Use both hands to reach around the backside of manifold to get to the PCV hose connector
  7. Press in on both sides of the connector with your thumbs and pull it off
  8. Pull manifold directly straight up to allow you room to see the throttlebody connector, then disconnect the TB connector
  9. Disconnect the EVAP line from the manifold. It uses two clips to retain it in place. Be careful not to break the clips... ask me how I know :D
  10. Completely remove manifold from engine bay
  11. Unbolt TB from stock mani
  12. Move the TB o-ring, and the port gaskets from the stock mani over to the TTR mani, bolt TB to TTR mani
  13. Move mani into place, connect TB connector.
  14. Try to get mani onto the intercooler piping as much as you can. Hook a socket and extension up to the *bottom* clamp which should still be tight. Grab ahold of the socket and extension to be able to control the intercooler piping while you press the mani into the pipe. Tighten top intercooler clamp once the pipe is fully seated into the mouth of the TB. Do not try to place the mani onto the head yet.
  15. Hook up the EVAP line
  16. Hook up the PCV connector
  17. Now fit the mani onto the head. The mani has two guide studs that will need to fit onto the head. You may have to twist the mani slightly to get the studs to go straight into the holes in the head.
  18. Bolt up the mani. The far left bolt will be slightly difficult to access. I used my fingers to tighten it down most of the way, then used a box end wrench that is angled slightly for it. Position the wrench through the accessory belt to be able to access it. It's pretty much the only way to access the bolt to tighten it down with a wrench.
  19. Remove the MAP sensor from the old mani and put it on the new mani and connect the connector.
Edit: also, the intercooler clamps may be different from what I have. I have the Cobb IC so they included T-bolt styled clamps. Your results may vary while messing with the intercooler clamps :D
Thanks man! You rock!!

·
Vendor
2,560 Posts
I finally had a chance to have a look at the logs and the story here is that there isn’t much of a story. The OEM manifold and new manifold behaved very similarly and the control system handled it without any issues or drama.

The power increase is very mild as you have mentioned but then again I was personally not expecting a big jump in performance from a manifold swap in terms of flow when the K03 is still at work. I expect manifold flow characteristics to really affect the power curve when moving north of 400whp.

However this is not bad news. Having an aftermarket part work as well as this did without troubling the control system is very encouraging. I see the manifold as a must for the fueling needs for the future of the platform which will go hand in hand with the higher power numbers.

Thanks for testing this out and it is great to see such a product already available for the platform.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sooooo @Ocysp I just got this intake yesterday and have yet to install it. I just wanted to know if I can run the cobb ots tune safely but still run my car in mexico without it having a custom tune. im waiting for my tuner to reply so I can get a date as to when he would be able to do a custom tune for me. like I stated above would it be safe to run without custom tune? thx.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Sooooo @Ocysp I just got this intake yesterday and have yet to install it. I just wanted to know if I can run the cobb ots tune safely but still run my car in mexico without it having a custom tune. im waiting for my tuner to reply so I can get a date as to when he would be able to do a custom tune for me. like I stated above would it be safe to run without custom tune? thx.

Your totally fine without a custom tune. I did it for a few months with no issues at all.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sweet thanks everyone @TurboTechRacing @Jones02 @KristianST. since then I have put on the intake and have gotten a tune. much cooler charge air temps for me but when you shut the car off you could probably cook an egg on top of it lol but that's just thermodynamics at work dissipating the heat from the engine. LOVE the look under the hood and the functionality with all the meth ports. thanks @TurboTechRacing for yet again another reasonably priced well built product!

Reactions: KristianST

·
Registered
110 Posts
More shipping out.
Any information on the intake mani with panda? I really want one with port injection lol.. And any data on the mani with a turbo upgrade?

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Any information on the intake mani with panda? I really want one with port injection lol.. And any data on the mani with a turbo upgrade?
Panda customized one for port fuel, we would recommend also talking with them on getting one and working their port fuel system on it. We tested a stock turbo setup, we couldn't possibly test every possible setup, not sure if another customer with a big turbo has done a true before and after.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Panda customized one for port fuel, we would recommend also talking with them on getting one and working their port fuel system on it. We tested a stock turbo setup, we couldn't possibly test every possible setup, not sure if another customer with a big turbo has done a true before and after.
I understand and yea Matt (I think that's his name) told me awhile ago about it. Im currently deployed just so I cant buy it any time soon just was wondering! When I get back and get one ill defiantly do a true before and after.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts