Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I finally got around to dynoing TTR's intake manifold. I booked a dyno dynamics in Louisville KY, which is about 170 miles away. The dyno operator pulled my ST into the shop and began strapping her down while I waited upfront. Technically I wasn't even supposed to be in the shop because of insurance/liability reasons. Once the operator strapped her in, he did a few pulls on his own while I was still up front talking to another worker. He came and got me and took me back to the dyno and showed me the numbers he got. I can't remember the numbers off hand, but they were around 224-225whp. I looked at him with a puzzled face, and he said that dyno dynamics typically run about 13% less than a dynojet. He ended up operating the dyno and car while I did the datalogging and video recording. We did 6 more pulls with the stock intake manifold running the Cobb Stage3, 93oct. v200 OTS map. We got consistent peak HPs at 225whp, with the exception of one run that ended up getting 226.8whp but we couldn't replicate it again. After all that, I decided we established a decent baseline to compare against and began swapping the stock manifold for the TTR manifold. I think it took me less than 40 minutes total to get it swapped by myself which surprised me. Anyways, we did 3 runs with the same Cobb OTS map that was flashed for the stock manifold, and got 228.7whp, 227.5whp, and 227.9whp. After that, I flashed over a v200 OTS map that I changed the Intake Manifold Volume parameter from the default 3.685L to 6.435L. We did some more pulls and got pretty consistent results around 230whp, with the exception of one oddball at 225.1whp. I did 4 more runs with the IMV changed to 6.185L and it seemed to bring it down slightly to 229.8-230.1 but still pretty consistent. By the way, I can't stand the graphing software for dyno dynamics...

TTR @ 230.6whp peak w/ modded OTS map versus stock manifold @ 224.8whp peak w/ OTS map

TTR @ 230.6whp peak w/ modded OTS map versus stock manifold @ 225.3whp peak w/ OTS map

Comparison of two runs with the TTR installed and modded OTS map, 230.6 vs 230.1. The 230.6 was with 6.435L and the 230.1 was 6.185L

Video of one of the baseline runs:

Video of the one of the TTR runs w/ 6.435L @ 230.6whp, with two of the previous TTR @ 3.685L runs showing above it (227.5whp & 227.9whp)

Video showing 3 TTR runs w/ 6.185L

Here's a zip file that includes datalogs of most of the pulls, although I forgot to record two of them: View attachment logs.zip
Or you can view them on datazap.me
baselines 1-3, baselines 4-5
TTR Manifold w/ unmodified OTS map runs 1-3
TTR Manifold @ 6.435L runs 1-3 and runs 4-5
TTR Manifold @ 6.185L runs 1-2 and runs 3-4

My thoughts:
It seems as if the stock manifold isn't a huge bottleneck for the stock turbo but I think the gains would show up much more on bigger turbo setup. I'm curious what a custom tune could do as far as gaining more HP from the manifold. There were also torque increases of around 8-10wtq in some areas when comparing the baselines to the 230.1whp - 230.6whp runs.

That's it for now, I'm tired... and going to sleep.

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Looks great, thanks for the information!

Just a quick calculation. Base on a dynojet comparison... Justins car should have produced about 275 HP on a dyno jet, which in my calcumations is about 22% difference from a base pull of 225 HP.

With that being stated, you would factor out 22% more shown increase change (delta) on the HP and torque gain difference. Meaning 6 HP would be about 8 HP and 8-10 torque would be 10-12 torque on a dynojet.

IMO gains are reasonable, compare it to a $800 cat back at similar gains, or a $350 air intake kit at again similar gains. Looks like we found another way to squeeze a bit more out of everyones :focus-st-smilie:

Last as Justin mentioned, gains should only be had more, with a custom tune along with the manifold, and getting a larger flowing turbo.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Wow, only ~6whp? Interesting. I guess we will need to have someone with a big snail do the same type of testing you did to see if it would even help those people :/

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
So similar results to the breedt, about 10hp max to be had...

These cars really don't like bolt ons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the hardest part is the K03 turbo. It falls off to soon, and doesnt allow bolt ons to be as effective as other applications. Even a K04 would not fall off for another 1500 RPM later. This is again why we think the EFR/ATP turbo upgrades will see a bigger delta increase.

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Wow, only ~6whp? Interesting. I guess we will need to have someone with a big snail do the same type of testing you did to see if it would even help those people :/
As stated already.... He used a different dyno than most will see, he only made 225 HP on the stock pull, with all his mods he should be at 275 HP on a typical dyno jet.

"Just a quick calculation. Base on a dynojet comparison... Justins car should have produced about 275 HP on a dyno jet, which in my calcumations is about 22% difference from a base pull of 225 HP.

With that being stated, you would factor out 22% more shown increase change (delta) on the HP and torque gain difference. Meaning 6 HP would be about 8 HP and 8-10 torque would be 10-12 torque on a dynojet."

Plus torque is what matters most. Torque MOVES the car... So if you want one or the other, you want the torque to be a higher test number, as we see.

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Any information on the pre order at this point?! Maybe some of us can test the theory about the gains with the big turbo :)
We will annouce pricing and start accepting pre orders tomorrow morning. Discount will be offered to the first 10 that pre order.

·
1,976 Posts
I think the hardest part is the K03 turbo. It falls off to soon, and doesnt allow bolt ons to be as effective as other applications. Even a K04 would not fall off for another 1500 RPM later. This is again why we think the EFR/ATP turbo upgrades will see a bigger delta increase.
Yep I think most forget that the k03 is still in the equation here, you can only squeeze so much out of the baby turbo (it doesn't flow enough air to make use of the new intake). For bigger gains that is, more gains will be had with more fuel and a bigger turbo that can move more air.

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Yep I think most forget that the k03 is still in the equation here, you can only squeeze so much out of the baby turbo (it doesn't flow enough air to make use of the new intake). For bigger gains that is, more gains will be had with more fuel and a bigger turbo that can move more air.
Yup, that is why we are pretty satisfied with the gains that we did make. Does show the stock manifold does hit a limit, as there was an increase.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Have you guys tried to get any of the big turbo guys onboard for testing?

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Have you guys tried to get any of the big turbo guys onboard for testing?
Tonight alone we have many PMs on this manifold, 2 of which state they will be getting tomorrow and have a larger turbo. So yes it will come.

Many other stock turbo members stated they will be on early to order also.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Tonight alone we have many PMs on this manifold, 2 of which state they will be getting tomorrow and have a larger turbo. So yes it will come.
Awesome to hear! Looking forward to seeing just how much potential this IM has. On a design note; it does look pretty damn cool :)
I haven't pulled my stock one off yet, so maybe I would know the answer to my next question if I had. What are the what look to be threaded holes on the backside?

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
Awesome to hear! Looking forward to seeing just how much potential this IM has. On a design note; it does look pretty damn cool :)
I haven't pulled my stock one off yet, so maybe I would know the answer to my next question if I had. What are the what look to be threaded holes on the backside?
No idea what you are referring to. Only thing on the backside is the pcv connection and the bolt holes to mount the manifold

·
Vendor
1,493 Posts
I'm surprised no one has commented on the complete lack of motor movement in those videos. Great job on the motor mounts!
Ha good call!!! Yeah he has both our upper engine and upper transmission mount, it doesn't move anywhere. Proof on the mounts is perfect in the videos

1 - 20 of 77 Posts