Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Cincinnati isn't the worst for pot holes, but there certainly aren't the best roads here. I went to get my wheels balanced to make sure everything was alright, just because I've had some road noise and I was concerned. Turns out, 3/4 stock wheels are bent, and roughly $150 each to fix. They have some road rash anyways, so I figure it isn't worth it. Unfortunately I have Firehawk 500's that I purchased late last year that are 18's as well.
I went looking for wheels and I'm unsure if I should move down to 17's, should I avoid certain wheels brands? I have been looking at the Avant Garde M310 and the TSW Luco, as well as some option lab ones. Just looking for some input on guys who DD nicer summer wheels with **** roads.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
17's and more sidewall will offer more protection over 18's. That being said, big enough pot hole will still crush even the strongest wheel. Between those two, id grab the TSW's, should be found cheaper and i like multispoke design.

My advice is to avoid the potholes as best as you can. Keep more distance between you and the cars in front of you so you can spy the holes sooner and have higher chance of avoiding. Knock on wood, i havent bent my RFP1's ones

·
ST Vendor
248 Posts
You can go to 17"s if you want, one suggestion I can give you is to look for wheels that have LEGITIMATE JWL/VIA/JAWA certifications. To keep it short, JWL, VIA and JAWA are part of Japan's governmental wheel testing program which is mandatory for all wheels which are to be used in Japan OR are manufactured in Japan. There are a lot of companies which forge fake certifications by stamping them in the wheel face even when they don't pass at all, because these companies don't have intentions of selling in Japan to begin with- rather, they'd use this certification's reputation overseas. Enkei and Rays are companies that produce wheels for 5x108 with legitimate certifications.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've never bent a wheel from a pot hole—though New England roads are probably generally better than Cincinnati if they're anything like Detroit with all the salt they use in the winter vs the less destructive sand here—and I've often wondered why when other people have even on taller profile tires on cars with floppier suspensions and I think what might be happening is people see them and brake and the wheel hits and briefly locks up at the point of impact, which concentrates the force on that spot instead of dissipating it better if it were free-rolling. I always brake before impact then release and roll through the actual road problem. I also try to hit them as square as possible. It could be that none of those things help and I'm just exceptionally lucky (except when it comes to picking up nails, screws, someone's house key, wire from a chainlink fence . . .), but thought I'd mention it in case it could help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
Duchess
Ford Focus ST Forum
We’re the premiere Ford Focus ST forum with discussions on the 2013+ Focus ST. Join the community and see the latest news, photos, videos, classifieds, reviews, events and more!
Full Forum Listing