Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well I left work and while I was accelerating on a ramp to get onto the highway my check engine light started blinking and it felt like my car was running super rough. And I also started getting some smoke out of my exhaust so it feels like something pretty bad went wrong. I cleared my codes and let my car idle for a bit so I'm going to attach the codes that it found within the first couple of minutes after starting it back up.

before I cleared the codes I had another code that was a crankcase pressure sensor fault. By the way it was running I'm thinking that it could be one of a few things. I might have messed something up with a turbo or there's a valve problem or maybe I blew a piston ring. but I don't have a lot of experience with this so I'm open to suggestions about what it might be.

in the meantime I'm going to try to find a decent garage or pro shop that can help figure out and fix this problem.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,383 Posts
Step 1, do a compression test. If that shows you a low cylinder then step 2 would be using a leakdown tester to determine Where the compression is leaking to, if that happens to be the case.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From some advice from my brother-in-law who was a mechanic, I replaced all of the plugs and the coils because he thought it might have been a bad coil. When I pulled the plug from the cylinder that is the second one from the left I saw that there was moisture on that electrode and strap so I thought that he was definitely right. but I cleared the codes and reset the ECU and drove it up and down my neighborhood. It was still showing the exact same symptom and when I got back I checked the codes and I'm attaching the pictures of the codes that it is showing. I'm also attaching a picture of that spark plug looks like.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
RIP 2.0

time to find a Escape ecoboost to swap in.

oil on the plug = smoked piston
sounds like a subi = smoked piston
oil around the tail pipe tips? = smoked piston
low comp test results on 1 of 4 pistons = that low piston has ringlands that are mostly in the basement

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the compression on the second piston from the left when you are facing the car.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's no oil on the tailpipe but it's just the normal soot that I was getting the whole time that I've had this exhaust.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to take it to the Ford dealer and have them diagnose whatever is wrong with it and then I'll go from there.

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,338 Posts
I'm going to take it to the Ford dealer and have them diagnose whatever is wrong with it and then I'll go from there.

Time to build bigger and better.

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I was putting everything back together I dropped part of my ratchet down to the belly pan. I noticed that the oil pan had oil leaking down all over it so either the lot cracked or hopefully it's just a blown head gasket and it's not as catastrophic as I'm suspecting.

anyway when I had the valve cover off I took a picture of the cams and stuff and everything looks pretty damn great for having almost 95,000 mi on it.

· Administrator
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6spd, 2019 Mustang Bullitt
15,338 Posts
When I was putting everything back together I dropped part of my ratchet down to the belly pan. I noticed that the oil pan had oil leaking down all over it so either the lot cracked or hopefully it's just a blown head gasket and it's not as catastrophic as I'm suspecting.

anyway when I had the valve cover off I took a picture of the cams and stuff and everything looks pretty damn great for having almost 95,000 mi on it.

We are not known to blow headgaskets that often. Youd have coolant/oil mixing. We are known for piston ring, and ringland failure. Which at 0 psi, there is some real damage, and potential for cylinder scoring.

· Registered
1,509 Posts
Like duece said were not known for headgasket failure. But I will say the picture of the spark plug with fluid on it, looks like a watery oil, the way its puddling on the metal and threads and near the porcelain or ceramic whatever they use now, reminds me of oil that has water in it, dunno how to explain it, and I'm not talking about how it can look like chocolate milk or anything, like i said not sure how to explain what I'm saying. Anywho curious to find out what let go, prolly the usual ringland pop.

· Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett GTX2860R Gen 2. FBO
9,383 Posts
If you blow a hadgasket so badly that ALL of your cylinder pressure is entering the cooling system(the first path outward from the cylinder), then when you start the engine you will be putting running compression (75ish psi if i were to guess) into the cooling system which would quickly blow something up. If you remove the cap and coolant doesnt rocket out of the surge tank when you start the engine, it is NOT a head gasket. This is a large hole somewhere, which can include a bad valve. But we all know these engines melt pistons and you were doing a pull at the time of failure.

· Registered
2,836 Posts
Motor is 100% dead. The more you start it and drive it, the more damage your doing to the block.
and chance you have of putting metal chunks in your turbo. damaging the head/valves/etc

· Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I put a cheap phone scope down into the cylinder bore and these were the pictures that I got. can any of you tell if the metal that looks a bit messed up in two out of the three pictures indicates what everybody is suggesting? in about an hour the company is coming to tow my car to the Ford dealer but if the piston is truly busted then I don't really see a point in all of that effort. and thank you to everybody who chimed in to give me some info because even bad news can be good information.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts