Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would highly suggest people interested in a true replacement turbo for the ST, as in using your current integrated turbine housing by bolting on a new, larger compressor housing....

To contact Borg-Warner and tell them you are interested in this product, the sooner it will come to market.

Mentioned at 4:35 of this video, the Borg Warner rep speaks about the "baby" EFR 5951 turbo they showed at SEMA 2016 as a concept. He mentioned that current owners of cars with the BW K03 which includes the ST along with 5th and 6th gen VAG platforms that it's very possible to reuse your current integrated turbine housing.

This will bring down the cost of upgrading because you only need to buy what's called a Super Core in the industry. All that you need to know is that it's everything but the exhaust housing.

Everything else is integrated like regular EFR's.

Also mention that this baby EFR produces 95% + of the output of the larger 6258 found in the Mountune MRX and one of the two base turbos in the Full Race kit.

I would estimate a super core in this size would be just over $1,000. That's very reasonable for a 50-75 hp increase around stock boot levels, to about 120 hp over stock when pushed.

IE the same performance of a GTX 2860 Disco Potato II for about $700-$800 less.

For those of you interested in mild upgrades this is right up your alley. EFR's are known for their spool so I expect stock spool but way more mid range and top end power.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Small exhaust housing is small exhaust housing. I'm very skeptical that anything that retains a puny exhaust housing can make anything close to what is claimed. It'll be fast spooling, peaky, with no top end. i.e. narrow powerband.

<has used rebuilt "larger," wheeled turbo's with mixed success.

·
Registered
816 Posts
So this is similar to the concept you referred me to before. If you are the current owner of an EFR turbo then you can upgrade the compressor housing and buy a new core to get more power. Except in this case your using the stock K03. Not my current cup of tea but I will nonetheless vouch because a lot of members are looking for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Small exhaust housing is small exhaust housing. I'm very skeptical that anything that retains a puny exhaust housing can make anything close to what is claimed. It'll be fast spooling, peaky, with no top end. i.e. narrow powerband.

<has used rebuilt "larger," wheeled turbo's with mixed success.
Yep, it will be interesting how well they make:

IMG_0067.jpg

perform almost as well as:

IMG_0068.jpg

Comparison shot between the two:

IMG_0065.jpg

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
Yep, it will be interesting how well they make:

View attachment 186049

perform almost as well as:

View attachment 186057

Comparison shot between the two:

View attachment 186041
Oh thats easy. first they do this

019.jpg
021.jpg

then it does this

IMG_20141205_120108.jpg
IMG_20141205_120138.jpg

stay away from modded turbos. this guy is just to small to mod and be effective. read all about it here.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/off-topic/34570-finally-got-pics-modded-turbo-damage.html

http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/28278-its-official.html

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
That's interesting. I will keep my eye out for something that is an easy swap for our stock K03.

·
Registered
625 Posts
And the best part is the surge that you have stock gets 10X worse also. The stock K03 does not flutter that is surge you hear
Hey, look, this what compressor surge does to compressor wheels. Fun.

·
Registered
660 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Don't dump on the guy for being excited.

It cool BW is doing this, even though it's a bad idea.
First of all dude I wasn't excited, I saw the video and I know Mike Kojima.

Borg Warner is looking at taking their newest EFR member of the family and make it accessible to owners of cars with K03 turbos.

The 5951 is visibly larger, the compressor is only 3 millimeters smaller, 59 + 3 = 62 than the 6258

The turbine is 7 millimeter smaller than the 6258.

For the price of a gaggle of bolt-ons and never reach 300, you can bolt this in with a free flowing exhaust and easily crack 300 without any surge, this is not a modified K03s.

Nobody has proof that is what it is.

My interest in this next to nothing, I thought I would share.

Lesson learned, won't be sharing much of anything in the future.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,172 Posts
First of all dude I wasn't excited, I saw the video and I know Mike Kojima.

Borg Warner is looking at taking their newest EFR member of the family and make it accessible to owners of cars with K03 turbos.

The 5951 is visibly larger, the compressor is only 3 millimeters smaller, 59 + 3 = 62 than the 6258

The turbine is 7 millimeter smaller than the 6258.

For the price of a gaggle of bolt-ons and never reach 300, you can bolt this in with a free flowing exhaust and easily crack 300 without any surge, this is not a modified K03s.

Nobody has proof that is what it is.

My interest in this next to nothing, I thought I would share.

Lesson learned, won't be sharing much of anything in the future.
Don't worry about the flamers man, it's an interesting topic to share that MANY will be genuinely interested in should it actually happen.

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think it's an attractive concept. I also believe that if Borg Warner is going to produce it, they have done their research. I have had so-so experiences with "hybrid" turbos in the past. I had a Frankenturbo on my Audi that turned out pretty well. Most of the companies that have built these types of turbos in the past have a fraction of the resources that Borg Warner has access to. This is more promising to me because it's the first I've heard of a manufacturer modifying their own turbo (I could be wrong here). Don't be discouraged by the trolls. The community certainly appreciates sharing legitimate news.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The problem with small companies is that the customer ends up doing most of the beta testing for them. With a larger company like Borg-Warner, they have the ability to do their own beta testing instead of putting a product out there that will kill itself and ruin their rep. They will not release this thing until they are sure it is a viable and reliable upgrade. They stand to lose too much to allow a surging, ticking time bomb of a turbo to garner the BW branding.

Reactions: DailyDriver

·
Registered
660 Posts
Borg Warner has 10 times the resource ability vs all the other small time shops that have posted with promises of the super stock turbo. The problem is that this thread or video doesn't include any sort of real action plan or path to a product. All we are talking about is theory. Let me know when there's something that has been made to swap on to a focus that is actually being tested. Otherwise this is just more click bait....

·
Registered
660 Posts
10.. more like 10,000
Kind of like the number of types of k03 turbos out there, as it's definitely not exclusive to this car and I didn't see anything indicating something specific to this variant of the k03 was in the works. Somebody let me know when there's a new BW prototype turbo on a focus and it's making dyno runs, until then I"ll put this thread in the folder with the 300 other "hey they next awesome stock turbo replacement that's gonna make big powah" threads.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts