Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know TRS has always been an extremely trusted HID source for many years, lately the LED headlights have made a splash into the scene and now they're involved in it as well with what seems as an always quality product...

5,000 lumens/6000k - $120
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/a...select=51328,51355,51808&preselect_restrict=1

Then there's another highly touted and very well reviewed LED company out there called JDM ASTAR that offers a quality product as well...

4,000 lumens/6500k - $89.99 on sale (normally $199.99)
JDM ASTAR Auto LED Bulbs,LED Headlight,Fog Lamps & Turn Signal Brake Tail Light

Do any of you run them or another brand? Post up your pics and thoughts please!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say that from experience any led headlight system with a cooling fan attached works excellently. On the other hand without the cooling fan they're usually very dim and overheat so basically if they both have cooling fans just get the cheaper one.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
honestly, I generally do not like bulbs with built in cooling fans. you can usually hear the fan running and even if its real faint, once I hear it, it will drive me crazy. I prefer the kind with the copper ribbon heat sink coming out of the back. if fanned out properly, they should not be overheating.

also having a cooling fan, just adds one more point of failure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not used either brand so I can't really comment on how reliable they are. I ended up going with these for my 2016 ST3:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MG178DA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The amount of light they output is quite magnificent. They do require a bit of modification to the stock housing on the ST3 (factory HID), however.

The fans can be heard from inside the cabin, but not while driving. Only time I hear them is when I shut the car off. They run until the lights shut off. I'm pretty satisfied with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
honestly, I generally do not like bulbs with built in cooling fans. you can usually hear the fan running and even if its real faint, once I hear it, it will drive me crazy. I prefer the kind with the copper ribbon heat sink coming out of the back. if fanned out properly, they should not be overheating.

also having a cooling fan, just adds one more point of failure.
That must be one serious cooling fan to make enough noise to bother the driver haha if I heard that it would piss me off too.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sub'd. Interested in this as well. I'd like to get some new LED's but don't want to drop 200 on them.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
god I hope these don't go in a reflector housing

Reactions: gixxersixxerman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts