Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month ago when I went to go get an oil change the paperwork they gave me said the battery was healthy but had a low charge. They did not tell me this in person, so I didn't personally talk to any of the techs about this. My trip mileage has started resetting on it's own. I reset it every time I fill up but has reset two or three times between trips recently.

My car is a 2016 Focus ST ST3. I bought the car in May of 2016. Should I look at buying a new battery? Any recommendations on where if so?

Regards,

Philip

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
I have the same exact problem. I kept my radio on while parked and it never started back until I had to Jumpstart. Even if I left the hatch open for 5 mins it would drain the battery. I took it to autozone they said it had 96% life. My trips were getting reset and the dashboard needles would do a dance. I still don't know if it's the battery or some electrical problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same exact problem. I kept my radio on while parked and it never started back until I had to Jumpstart. Even if I left the hatch open for 5 mins it would drain the battery. I took it to autozone they said it had 96% life. My trips were getting reset and the dashboard needles would do a dance. I still don't know if it's the battery or some electrical problem.

Hmm definitely sounds like the battery to me. I'm thinking I may just replace mine but still debating. Doesn't seem that old but ehh what do I know lol.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
Not with 96% health. I suspect there is something else too. This happened after I took it into dealership for check engine light where they had to replace my shrinking gas tank.

·
Registered
102 Posts
do you have a multimeter?

Check the voltage with the battery sitting alone for 30 minutes. Then start the car an check the voltage again.

our battery is tucked away, so check at the positive post and a good ground.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Check the voltage with the battery sitting alone for 30 minutes. Then start the car an check the voltage again.

My multi meter recently crapped out on me. I should buy another but funds are a little tight right now.

·
Premium Member
13,886 Posts

The ground bolts to the car to the right of the battery. Easy to find and get to.

Sent from another galaxy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I suspect battery. I work for a rental car company as a tech and I see this all the time. Especially with all the newer cars being all computer controlled nowadays and blah blahh blahhhh. Your battery is on its way out. Even if a battery tester is saying it’s at 96% life. I can make a battery show me 100% life then and hour later have a 20% life. If your battery is being tested right after it’s charged (aka right after it’s been driven) it will give a false reading. I’d let it sit for a couple hours then test it to get a more accurate reading. Anywhos, I say it’s the battery.

Reactions: Philipgonzales3

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought my 2017 last July....about 2 months later it wouldn't start.....called Ford's roadside ...(didn't want Ford to claim I messed anything up) they jumped it & I went straight to the dealership.....come to find out the battery cables were loose.....from the factory.....of course trip meters reset.

·
Registered
2016 Focus ST2
789 Posts
New Bosh battery everything is fine!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my car didn't turn on today. I grabbed my socket and ratchet to take the battery out and get a new one. I thought OK it finally died. I went to loosen the positive terminal and it was already loose. I tightened it down and the car fired right up. I think my terminal was just loose.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Shouldn't the battery be under warranty?

My battery failed when the car was two months old. Road assist gave me a jump, I drove to the nearest dealer, and they replaced the battery under warranty.

I now have one of those really inexpensive things that you can use to jump start your own car. It's about the size of two phones. I top off the charge every so often with a USB cable.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I hate to dog on places like autozone, but a lot of times they dont know how to properly test a battery. they need to be tested under a load, because you can have whats called a head charge where it looks like you have plenty O juice, but as soon as you need cranking amps it poops. Glad to hear a new batt fixed ya up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts