Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dancing around cones, sliding through the sweeper and oversteering at will.

I bought my ST back in February, since then I've been to at least 7 events and one clinic. I think I've done ok with my times progressively getting better and better. The last event was wet. I'm in GS running a rear Strano bar set to the stiffest setting. (hole closest to the front of the car)

Is this the wrong way to go in the Wet?

I'm still learning to do a controlled slide, point wheels tap brakes and accelerate.

Anybody know some other techniques to try on the track?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
What's your total mod list (including tires)? That should give more insight. What tire pressures are you running?

Here's a good website with lots of great advice and information: AutoCross to Win

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I've read that website once, and yes it has some really good info. My setup is really simple, my suspension is stock except for a Strano rear sway bar and Steeda adjustable end links. In the summer I use 17x8 Moda's with Bridgestone Potenza RE-71r's. My air pressure I run is 35 psi in the front and 32 psi in the rear. I also have a MBRP 3" exhaust back exhaust.

My idea for the thread theme was to share how you guys make the car corner? Like how late to brake?

Turn the steering wheel first then brake?

Or brake first then turn?

I guess it's hard to put into words.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
1. Don't hit cones
2. Go Fast
3. Don't go slow

But in all seriousness there's no secret tips or techniques. The best thing to do is to try and master the fundamentals, look ahead, and get tons of seat time. You're right there in the ballpark as far as setup goes, the only other thing I would recommend is getting a good alignment (which I still need to do myself). Shocks would help, but are not required. There's not much to setting these cars up and running at the pointy end of the competition.

Look into doing an Evo School (The Evolution Performance Driving School - Building Champions since 1993 - Autocross, Driver School, HPDE, License). The instructors there should definitely be able to help you get faster

1 - 5 of 5 Posts