Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a quick question. Soo I tore apart my transmission today and I have pieces missing from one synchro and another looks pretty worn so I want to change them both but FORD asked which gears they were for, I have outlined them in RED. Any help would be great thanks. Inked20170614_193427_LI.jpg

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sorry can't help you with the gear section but if you are looking to replace why not upgrade give speed performance a call and see if they could help you out.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Sorry can't help you with the gear section but if you are looking to replace why not upgrade give speed performance a call and see if they could help you out.
Yea give speed performance a call and Pablo is the man you want.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk
What they said! Obviously you aren't looking for ever having a warranty on this anyway, so get the Speed syncros that are WAYYYYY better than the sh!t Ford ones. Otherwise they will wear out again quickly. Speed has great prices too from what I was quoted.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank for the responses everyone and just an update I remembered I have a friend who works at Ford. I gave him the vin and blah blah blah basically told me they are not offering any "internal parts for the transmission for sale" Does this sound right? Not sure who I talked to before that asked me what gear it was but either way looks like I'm calling Speed Performance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thank for the responses everyone and just an update I remembered I have a friend who works at Ford. I gave him the vin and blah blah blah basically told me they are not offering any "internal parts for the transmission for sale" Does this sound right? Not sure who I talked to before that asked me what gear it was but either way looks like I'm calling Speed Performance.

Well you can tell them **** right off. That's ridiculous they wont sell you a replacement part. But yeah, since you already have the transmission open and disassembled, might as well upgrade instead of replace

Reactions: STCrazy

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Ford won't touch the trans. I brought mine in bc of bad 3 to 2 gear grinding...was stage 3 w/ 59.5k miles (warranty up at 60k) and the replaced the trans free of charge.

Will go with SP63 synchros when these tart to fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
What they said! Obviously you aren't looking for ever having a warranty on this anyway, so get the Speed syncros that are WAYYYYY better than the sh!t Ford ones. Otherwise they will wear out again quickly. Speed has great prices too from what I was quoted.
Exactly, I got a new trans under warranty and now I lost the 3rd and 4th synchros after only 5 thousand miles? I have synchros on the way from speed performance now.

Sent from my FRD-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I sent an email out to SP to get that ball rolling but I had a look at their site and did not see synchros listed . any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
So I sent an email out to SP to get that ball rolling but I had a look at their site and did not see synchros listed . any ideas?
They are not listed, it's by contact only right now. They are selling them as of last month when I asked about them.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Its not a ford transmission, its a getrag. If they fail they are sent straight to them and ford replaces the whole thing. I went through three transmissions. last one lasted awhile and never had any problems. Bought a fourth and had speeds sycnchros put in as well as full bearings replacement and lsd.

these are teeth that sheered off when my sychros would not engage correctly

·
Administrator
11,865 Posts
Can someone tell me why the synchro' s are different colors?
What year is your car?

They are two different materials, the one is bronze or brass, and the other is the crappy composite synchro. That's normal.

·
Administrator
11,865 Posts
Mine is a 2013.
iirc the 13 had the brass/ composite then they went full composite for the later years. Well this is third party info from Speed.

Im running a mix of upgraded composites and the brass in my trans currently.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
iirc the 13 had the brass/ composite then they went full composite for the later years. Well this is third party info from Speed.

So are you saying the 2013 had BETTER syncros (or at least a handful better instead of 6 sh*t ones?) than the newer STs? I call BS on Ford's part for allowing this.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

which ones are the composite ones? I will let speed know so I can save some money and copy what you did. Because the brass or bronze ones look brand new.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So are you saying the 2013 had BETTER syncros (or at least a handful better instead of 6 sh*t ones?) than the newer STs? I call BS on Ford's part for allowing this.
Agreed Ford dropped the ball a bit on this one. I even tried contacting Getrag and they do not do business with private parties because to goes against their contracts with Ford.

·
Administrator
11,865 Posts
which ones are the composite ones? I will let speed know so I can save some money and copy what you did. Because the brass or bronze ones look brand new.
This was information passed on to me.

For some reason they switched it up, most likely for cost reasons.

I have the older style currently. In my 14.5 trans.

So far they have been holding up great. I think i have like 15k miles on them or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
This was information passed on to me.

For some reason they switched it up, most likely for cost reasons.

I have the older style currently. In my 14.5 trans.

So far they have been holding up great. I think i have like 15k miles on them or something like that.
I'll have to take notes of this should I finally replace mine. 15k for you is like 40k for everyone else usually hahaha. #LSDRacecar

1 - 20 of 23 Posts