Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had a small leak on my focus that I wasn't able to track down until today. Everytime I changed the engine oil I noticed a small amount of oil and I always figured it was just me that made a mess last time. Now, after 90,000 miles, I am changing the transmission mount and I noticed the oil was coming from the top of the transmission. Thanks to this thread I was able to figure out that it's the shift tower that was leaking. On mine, a 2016, there was no gasket at all, just some thick brown goopy stuff like the Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket.

Anyway, I cleaned it all up, removed the shift tower, used some Ultra Grey sealant, and re-installed it. Just need to keep an eye on it now....

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have had a small leak on my focus that I wasn't able to track down until today. Everytime I changed the engine oil I noticed a small amount of oil and I always figured it was just me that made a mess last time. Now, after 90,000 miles, I am changing the transmission mount and I noticed the oil was coming from the top of the transmission. Thanks to this thread I was able to figure out that it's the shift tower that was leaking. On mine, a 2016, there was no gasket at all, just some thick brown goopy stuff like the Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket.

Anyway, I cleaned it all up, removed the shift tower, used some Ultra Grey sealant, and re-installed it. Just need to keep an eye on it now....
Your response to this thread is timely.... Mine is leaking again. I bought the loctite anaerobic sealant, and some kind of activator to brush on first. This will be the sixth reseal in 46k miles. There is no visible crack or deformity in the housing, so I'm not sure wtf the problem is. I wasn't born yesterday and know how to clean a gasket surface. The activator I bought is supposed to increase the strength of the bond over a wider distance. My guess is the machining of the case or tower Is just poor.

I still have full powertrain warranty through Nov 21 and nothing to void it. Since one dealer already messed with it three times, they can't tell I've messed with it. I may take it back in the spring and raise hell if this doesn't do it this time...and maybe get my leaking timing cover fixed too. Love this car, but it is a leaky m'fer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So I resealed it last night. It is not a bad job. Basically, put the car in neutral, remove the airbox, and a couple connections. You can find the workshop manual on this site somewhere. This first pic is the leakage I had since the last try:

Here is the tower unbolted and removed:

The manual recommends Ford TA16. That's what I used last time but it still leaked. This time I am using a loctite equivalent and activator. The activator supposedly helps strengthen a thicker gap. My hunch is the sealing surface is not completely flat. Here is the sealant I bought, and the TA16 I did not use this time.

Instructions say both surfaces can be primed with the activator (which dries fast), and sealant applied to both flanges. Since this is the 6th time and hopefully last doing this, I put a bead on both.

Manual says to tighten bolts to 26nm. I had an inch lb torque wrench set to 200 inch lbs, and that seemed to be enough. If any of the sealant squeezes inside the case, it should be diluted in short order and not harden because this stuff works by curing in the absence of oxygen. Here it is bolted up.

All you need to do is readjust the linkage. It takes a little wiggling, but its pretty easy to get the tower back in.

Anyway, I'll update if it leaks again, and hope the pics help anyone that wants to do this themselves. Its not a bad job.

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
@Aaron_ST1 nice job!

I use "Great Stuff" rtv. And its held up great for that job. That stuff is just fantastic. I can't see yours failing this time though, lol

Reactions: Aaron_ST1

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
@Aaron_ST1 nice job!

I use "Great Stuff" rtv. And its held up great for that job. That stuff is just fantastic. I can't see yours failing this time though, lol
Thanks, Deuce! I love wrenching on my car, but not doing the same job multiple times. Hopefully this does the trick - if not, I'll try the sealant you recommended.

·
Administrator
10,660 Posts
Reactions: Aaron_ST1

·
Registered
2013 Ford Focus ST1
1,297 Posts
I guess I’m lucky (touching wood)....117k miles on my 2013 and it’s bone dry everywhere - at least as far as oils go. Had my challenges with coolant leaks a couple of years ago and those are all banished now too 👍👍

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have 35K miles on my 2017 Focus ST. Can someone point out to me what is leaking above the transmission and what I need to change? Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
580 Posts
I have 35K miles on my 2017 Focus ST. Can someone point out to me what is leaking above the transmission and what I need to change? Thanks!

View attachment 387367
Probably just oil dampness from trans shift tower.
Could also be a slow coolant leak, esp from small smooth plastic line.
Clean up area good and then watch it to be sure.

·
Registered
2016 ST2, Absolute Black, Turbosmart BPV, Dual OCCs, Innovative RMM, JBR Intake & SS Arm, 245/40R18
580 Posts
So far the Permatex Ultra Grey sealant I used has help up just fine.
That's my plan if mine gets worse or I get bored in good weather 😁

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Not a very good picture, but it is starting to leak again. For my car, it is something in the actual housing, NOT the seal between the housing in case that i thought was the cause. Maybe the seal around this black lever... whatever the case, fluid is leaking from above where the tower bolts to the case.

Also, not in this picture, but around the back of this where the vent tube plugs in, there is a screw sealing a black cap in place. Mine has smeared grey rtv around it- the techs that did the earlier repairs took some of the housing apart and tried to seal it instead of just replacing it. Given their progression of sealant colors, this was their first of 4 attempts. I assumed this was factory until looking at pictures of the similar RS part at Fordparts.com.

Can someone please, please tell me what the part number is? For the RS, it is 'f1fz-7201-A', which I only know because someone posted it after a repair in one of their leak threads. I don't know why, but it is not listed as compatible with the ST mmt6. I can't find the part on Tasca, and the official Ford site makes you buy the part before they release the part number to you. I am pretty sure the part is cheaper when not from the official Ford site. I don't want to order the RS piece, and have it not fit.

At this point, I am willing to just buy the part than deal with ford service, or try and reseal whatever they apparently broke further when taking it apart. **** my local ford dealer, Kent Parsons Ford with a capital F.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Okay, this leak is a seal on the tower, not the seal between the case and tower:

You can see where it was dripping, and you can see the gray rtv applied by the tech:

There is a rubber gasket fitted around this vent apparatus. I didn't take pics, but I carefully pried the gasket off and degreased everything as best as I could. Careful, it is very fragile. I accidentally tore the top if it, but that was in an area it wasn't leaking.

I reapplied a fair bit of gray rtv. I have the luxury of waiting an hour after finger tight, then fully tight. I can now also wait 24 hours for it to cure:

So the third time I took it back to Ford, they should have replaced the 140 dollar part. They didn't. I won't go back to Kent Parsons Ford (many, many other reasons). If I take it to another dealer, they will want to do their own testing most likely before replacement. Not sure I want to deal with the horseshit.

If this repair does not hold, despite having warranty coverage, I may just order the part. When I find out the part number, I'll post it up. Too bad they don't just offer the dumb little gasket.

So in summary, unless you fix this part of the tower, you will be doing the job again. Hope this helps someone.

·
2,377 Posts
@Aaron_ST1 did you apply rtv under the two bolt heads as well? Looks like it may have been leaking from beneath the lower bolt head. Looking at the pic Of the cover removed shows theres nothing there to seal that cover to the aluminum where the bolt passes through.

Reactions: Duece McCracken

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey, thanks for suggesting that. I smeared some rtv around those bolt holes under the gasket, over the gasket, and around the screw head and threads. Hopefully it will do the trick. I used some kind of permatex resistant to gear oil (I know this is not really gear oil, but may have some additives not so good for regular rtv).

Hard to see in the pic, but they had tightened down the bottom screw so tight the gasket was displaced and bulging up from under it. Tried to avoid that this time.

Time will tell, lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
View attachment 388120
Not a very good picture, but it is starting to leak again. For my car, it is something in the actual housing, NOT the seal between the housing in case that i thought was the cause. Maybe the seal around this black lever... whatever the case, fluid is leaking from above where the tower bolts to the case.

Also, not in this picture, but around the back of this where the vent tube plugs in, there is a screw sealing a black cap in place. Mine has smeared grey rtv around it- the techs that did the earlier repairs took some of the housing apart and tried to seal it instead of just replacing it. Given their progression of sealant colors, this was their first of 4 attempts. I assumed this was factory until looking at pictures of the similar RS part at Fordparts.com.

Can someone please, please tell me what the part number is? For the RS, it is 'f1fz-7201-A', which I only know because someone posted it after a repair in one of their leak threads. I don't know why, but it is not listed as compatible with the ST mmt6. I can't find the part on Tasca, and the official Ford site makes you buy the part before they release the part number to you. I am pretty sure the part is cheaper when not from the official Ford site. I don't want to order the RS piece, and have it not fit.

At this point, I am willing to just buy the part than deal with ford service, or try and reseal whatever they apparently broke further when taking it apart. **** my local ford dealer, Kent Parsons Ford with a capital F.
I had the same experience as you today. My leak is at the top of the tower, where the shaft enters the housing, not the base where it is mated to the transmission.

Unfortunately, the part number is not listed as compatible with our transmission, just the B6 in the RS.

Has anyone confirmed that the RS tower will fit our transmission? I'd like to buy the part and just swap it over if it is, rather than go down the rabbit hole of rtv/ right stuff.

TIA

21 - 37 of 37 Posts