Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got one of those postcards about the class action lawsuit for the transmission issues on ford focus and fiesta's. Does anyone know if that includes the at's?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I find it hilarious getting those letters. First the lawyer is just in it for the money. Two they send it to all Focus owners regardless of what spec the car is. Third it isn't even the automatics that have issues, it is the DCT, from my understanding. Finally Ford claims that the issue is "normal" and will not even warranty the issue.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
530 Posts
The issue is people treating DCT's like a torque converter auto. It isn't, and it shouldn't be treated the same.
First, what makes them need to be driven differently?

Second, it's Ford's fault for thinking the customer would know to do whatever the answer to the first question. If I were a car designer, I would just assume all the buyers of an automatic had literally no idea how the car worked at all, just that when the right pedal is pressed, they go. I'm an enthusiast, and know how cars and MTs work mostly, but I wouldn't expect to change driving style between 2 ATs

Reactions: LockeLamora33

·
Registered
462 Posts

Second, it's Ford's fault for thinking the customer would know to do whatever the answer to the first question. If I were a car designer, I would just assume all the buyers of an automatic had literally no idea how the car worked at all, just that when the right pedal is pressed, they go. I'm an enthusiast, and know how cars and MTs work mostly, but I wouldn't expect to change driving style between 2 ATs
You are correct, the brevity of my post likely led you to think I was attempting to pass the blame to the owner, when in-fact all manufactures selling DCT equipped vehicles should be insuring the customer knows that this is NOT a traditional automatic, and thus should not do the following.

*Creep a few inches at a time in stop-go traffic
*Attempt to creep forward or backwards up a grade (Autos are fantastic for that, DCT and Manual, nope, need to get in the gear fully to save the clutch)
*Attempt any kind of driving in speeds where full transmission engagement is not an option.

For all intents, the DCT is an auto-clutch Manual, and people need to know this.

·
Registered
133 Posts

The DCT in the Focus uses a dry clutch, just like a manual trans. You can't slip it like you can a torque converter automatic. A torque converter can slip indefinitely, as long as the fluid is not overheating. A dry clutch can only be slipped for a few seconds at a time, or it will overheat, and damage the friction surfaces. You can't keep creeping at an idle, or hold the car on a hill with the throttle. Stop and go traffic can do a number on the clutch as well, just like in a manual.

Reactions: poletrain

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bailed on our 2014 Focus Titanium after 2 software updates and a "seal replacement". For us, it was more about ambient temperatures as to how the DCT would perform (or not) rather than driving style. It would work great in cold weather but when temps got above 70 it was a miserable fail to drive. The jerking, crunching annoying tranny in warm weather just made us give up. Dealer (and Ford corporate) no help. Traded it for a 2017 ST2 a few months ago and we couldn't be happier. Based on the settlement being offered in our case it's a pittance and isn't worth the trouble. We've moved on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I will say I'm not driving a Focus or Fiesta because of the horror stories about with the DCT transmissions. Of course now I'm considering going back to manual trans which puts the ST
on the map so to speak. Trouble is from lurking on forum I have not gotten the impression that Ford stands behind their products at all.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I will say I'm not driving a Focus or Fiesta because of the horror stories about with the DCT transmissions. Of course now I'm considering going back to manual trans which puts the ST
on the map so to speak. Trouble is from lurking on forum I have not gotten the impression that Ford stands behind their products at all.
I get the same impression on any car forum I've ever frequented, regardless of manufacturer. :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Trouble is from lurking on forum I have not gotten the impression that Ford stands behind their products at all.
Leave it stock, they will take care of warranty issues.

Mod it, risk paying if something happens.

Nature of the beast. That said Subaru of Vanyes took care of me with a moded WRX, so talk with your dealer. Some are easier to get along with than others.

My local ford dealer, AV Ford, has made it plainly clear they are not mod friendly. But they were upfront with me about it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
What is the difference between a lawyer and a carp? One is a bottom feeder and the other is a fish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts