Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before I go any further, I kindly ask people to please refrain from the "learn how to drive stick brah" comments following the explanation of my situation. Thank you!

Alright, 2016 FocusST 403 package (whatever the code is for the fully loaded one. ) purchased February of this year.

This afternoon, I was in a very busy Costco parking lot when I tried to reverse to park into a spot, I couldn't get reverse to engage. I would press the clutch to the floor, and the gear just wouldn't engage. I would then have to the roll the car forward slightly, THEN get it into reverse.

I thought to myself, hmmm, "that was odd," but maybe the transmission gears were slightly misaligned and just needed a nudge. I went on with my day.

Now, when I make left turns, I tend to put the car in neutral while I await my clearing to make my turn. So when the light turned yellow and I had to get on my horse to get through the light, the damn car just wouldn't go into first. Looking like a complete idiot, there I am in the middle of the intersection in a stalled car. Fart knocker civic full of sideways hat wearing douche bags zipping by.

Dealer bound, do not pass GO. (Th dealer was 2 blocks from my location)

Dropped the car off and was actually able to recreate the locking of the gearbox. Service concierge leaves... So out comes the head service manger for a look. "Hmm Looks like your transmission is experiencing a gear obstruction." No ****.

So now my car sits in the dealership awaiting a new transmission because the oil sample they took contained metal. They also told me that they undid the linkages and still managed to get the transmission to stick again. So that eliminated a gate issue/obstruction.

Now, I'm a 40 year old dude who respects his belongings. I do not abuse things. I've never tracked my car. The first car I learnt to drive was stick. I own a 1976 MG midget and let me tell you, I know my way through a crappy gearbox. So my standard driving skills I can confidently say are sufficient enough to drive a Focus ST.

So. Now I'm wondering? Who's the SOB who mashed himself through the gears when I wasn't around!? I bought the car brand new. It has 3.8 Kms on the odometer. Could this have been a rip around the block on delivery day, or do I just have a defective transmission?

You know, I was REALLY enjoying my ST too! However, I've NEVER ground a gear, never missed a gear, never shifted with anything more than normal force. (That was one of the things I liked about the ST. )

So there really isn't anything I've done that I can tie back to a possible culprit. I'm really bummed about this. Now I'm worried this car is just going to spiral out with issues now that they've cracked the car open.

What's everyone's thoughts here? Am I crazy to feel a little upset about this? Or do you think they'll be able to put it back the way it was?

On the upside, I'm happy that they are swapping the whole thing out for a brand new one. I find some comfort in knowing that.

Thanks everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,264 Posts
Sucks, but at least you're getting a new trans. I know mine goes into reverse in a very rough manner. My 4th to 5th sometimes seems to have a 2 step feel to it. I put in the FSWerks shifter cable bracket bushings, and the Mountune Quick shift kit, and it did help a bit. I just rolled over 1000 miles, so I'm hoping it will get smother.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You're kidding right?
What we're the issues?

Most people have synchros fail. Thats what happen in two of them. The third one is going strong, and I have abused it the most with upgraded clutch and dumping it at the drag strip. Seems to be hit and miss through the years with these transmissions. Luckly they are starting to make synchros for them. Because ford just replaces the whole trans they don't even diagnose it.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I'm impressed with how your dealership actually troubleshot your tranny instead of trying to sell you new cup holders! :D

·
Administrator
12,715 Posts
I'm on a loaner while the synchros are getting replaced, lmao.

The trans tend to be very hit or miss, but to be honest most of us that are stage3 and beyond put down quite a bit of torque. Which is stressful on the synchros.

Reactions: Stealth

·
Registered
292 Posts
I think you just got a defective one. Hopefully all works out. Mine has been going strong for 30000km, knock on wood. What dealership was this?

·
Registered
221 Posts
sounds like defective tranny, it sucks but it can happen. We have two 2014 focus st at our house between 22-28K miles, mine at 22K gets autocrossed quite a bit in summer I did about 10 events this year. Mine is stock the other has ford racing package and a few bolt-ons. Neither have had any transmission problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My dealer actually is fantastic. Their service is terrific. They dropped off a loaner this morning. Said my car was in good hands and left me a coffee. I'll let you all know how I make out.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Good luck, glad to see your dealership is taking good care of you. I too have driven stick since I first learned how to drive. I find that this is the most picky/finnicky car to drive ever. Hope I don't have any of these issues in the future...

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I'm on a loaner while the synchros are getting replaced, lmao.

The trans tend to be very hit or miss, but to be honest most of us that are stage3 and beyond put down quite a bit of torque. Which is stressful on the synchros.
Same here...Taurus loaner while tranny is getting replaced. How long have you waited so far? Curious how long it will take for them to get the actual tranny

·
Administrator
12,715 Posts
Same here...Taurus loaner while tranny is getting replaced. How long have you waited so far? Curious how long it will take for them to get the actual tranny

Im on a loaner ST trans. So im still rocking the ST.

Well as part of the deal that Speed Performance set-up, my trans has been there for quite awhile. I dropped it off like 4 months ago iirc. Im in a "help each other" arraignment so there is no real monetary gain from working on my trans, therefore I do not expect it to be a top priority turn around.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took car Saturday, said they'll be all done tomorrow morning. Here hoping.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts