Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Kona Blue 2017 Focus ST st2 muffler + res delete
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a leak at the top of my transmission. About 3k miles ago I was doing an oil change and saw that there was a puddle of transmission oil sitting on top of the trans. I cleaned it up and drove it around for a while to see if it was leaking and something is for sure leaking. It is not as bad as the first time I saw the leak but this time there is just some dirt and oil mixed on top of the transmission.

I have a warranty so I took it to my local Ford dealer and they told me they put it on the lift and checked for leaks and drove it around a bit and they saw nothing. I asked about the oil on top of the transmission and they said it was "normal". Just some dirt and oil that had accumulated over time. Not sure what to do now. I'm going to clean up the spot again and if it leaks then I will take it back to the dealership. Anyone have any advice?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
Search "Shift tower leak" on here and compare It to what others have experienced for comparison.

Usually dealer visits dont end up in a fix. If this is what's leaking, Try cleaning it super well and using a product called The Right Stuff by Permatex.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
282 Posts
Tell the service department to clean it off real nice, and note it in their system. Then they can try a different excuse when you bring it back with fluid there again.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ST3. Garrett Powermax turbo, Thermal Turboback, CPE intercooler, JBR intake, Innovative RMM
3,957 Posts
Tell the service department to clean it off real nice, and note it in their system. Then they can try a different excuse when you bring it back with fluid there again.
The flat rate pay system deems that "extra clean" repair a falacy. It's an industry Issue, not a ford issue.

Reson i recommend Doing it yourself.

·
Registered
2016 Oxford White
282 Posts
I recommend also finding a competent service department. I also do most my own maintenance, but some stuff needs to be warranteed. There are good service departments out there, but it'll take some looking.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
As others have said its the shift tower, the dealers dont like to touch anything with this transmission. They just throw them out and replace them.

·
Registered
Kona Blue 2017 Focus ST st2 muffler + res delete
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Search "Shift tower leak" on here and compare It to what others have experienced for comparison.

Usually dealer visits dont end up in a fix. If this is what's leaking, Try cleaning it super well and using a product called The Right Stuff by Permatex.
I told the dealership I would clean it up and bring it back if it leaked again. They most likely won't fix the leak like you said and they didn't listen to me when I told them it was leaking from the top.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
I told the dealership I would clean it up and bring it back if it leaked again. They most likely won't fix the leak like you said and they didn't listen to me when I told them it was leaking from the top.
"how could it leak from the top, gravity goes down not up" - the dealer

·
Super Moderator
9,786 Posts
"how could it leak from the top, gravity goes down not up" - the dealer
The rotating assembly never slings oil around...ever...

Reactions: junits15
1 - 9 of 9 Posts