Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my FoST for almost 9000 miles now and I still have a few unresolved issues with the transmission that I can't seem to work out.

Since early on in my ownership experience I've noticed that the transmission is... less than smooth. Going into 1st at a stop is very notchy as is reverse. 3rd and 5th occasionally feel like I'm pushing through gravel to get into gear. Furthermore, well short-shifting is typically fairly smooth, shifts above 3000 RPM often not easy either when done with any amount of haste. It feels like there's a wall blocking me from getting into gear that I have to push through rather than gliding in. I've noticed at low speeds that shifting into any gear results in fairly loud clunking noises as does releasing the clutch.

I've taken it to a dealer to be looked at but they only had one technician on staff who could drive stick. He only drove it two miles (I checked the odometer) and declared that everything was "within operating specifications"

So what gives? Am I doing something wrong here or is there likely something wrong with the car? I've never driven a transmission this touchy and it's really ruining the car for me.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'd take it to a different dealer. There's no reason it should feel so rough putting it in gear. If you were complaining about the car jolting when you shift we'd be able to discuss driver error but just putting it into gear is pretty hard to mess up(correct gear or not)

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
You could go to a local meet and see what some other ST people think. Then you would have something to go back to Ford with. Also, you should ride with the technician.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reactions: bman13235

·
Registered
651 Posts
ST_Fan is right. Other guys will be happy to check it out for you. Does it feel tough to put in gear even when just sweeping through gears while idling?

·
Registered
351 Posts
I agree with ST Fan, take the tech with you and you drive. I used to be a VW mechanic years ago and many times it's easier to ride along to see what the driver is doing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ST_Fan is right. Other guys will be happy to check it out for you. Does it feel tough to put in gear even when just sweeping through gears while idling?
So say I pull up to a light and throw it in neutral. If I sweep through the gears once, I'll usually hit resistance on a few of them. Do it again, and there's less, and so forth. I'm guessing this is due to the synchros lining up but I'm not sure because it's all behaviour I've never seen on another car.

If worst comes to worst I'm considering dropping a line to Ford Performance and seeing if that gets me anywhere. The dealer network and manufacturer usually aren't on the same terms and the guys over at PDC definitely would know the car better.

·
Registered
651 Posts
So say I pull up to a light and throw it in neutral. If I sweep through the gears once, I'll usually hit resistance on a few of them. Do it again, and there's less, and so forth. I'm guessing this is due to the synchros lining up but I'm not sure because it's all behaviour I've never seen on another car.

If worst comes to worst I'm considering dropping a line to Ford Performance and seeing if that gets me anywhere. The dealer network and manufacturer usually aren't on the same terms and the guys over at PDC definitely would know the car better.
Yeah that doesn't sound right, especially if you haven't installed a short throw shifter or anything. Keep us posted man

·
Registered
206 Posts
Have you checked your transmission fluid level? Maybe it's pretty low so the synchros aren't getting properly lubricated?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Did you come from a manual in a Honda by any chance?
Honda manuals seem to be the most tolerant of a lot of driver sloppiness with the clutch action..
Where Ford manual transmissions are a bit (OK lot) fussier. IMO.
Like the clutch pedal should be to the floor before you are shifting. not 'on the way'...

My suggestion is to be more 'deliberate' in shifting in general.. And see if it helps.
My two cents.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Problems with R, 1, 3, and 5 only are almost always a problem with the shifting cable. Many here have found broken tie wraps, etc in the little well where the shifting cables are run. Look there first.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,194 Posts
Problems with R, 1, 3, and 5 only are almost always a problem with the shifting cable. Many here have found broken tie wraps, etc in the little well where the shifting cables are run. Look there first.
Yeah it sounds unlikely that it isn't a mechanical issue with the shifter assembly somehow seeing as how it's only the top half of the gears. I second this!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Didn't catch it was only the top gears. Exact same thing happened to me, and something was in the way of the shifter cable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay update time:

I managed to get a shop foreman at a different dealership to drive it today while I rode shotgun.

I noticed he was struggling with it the same way I do and he did a lot of ho-humming saying he wasn't sure if it was the car or not. Went around the side streets near the dealership a few times watching the whole thing play out as he took it up and down the rpm range and gears. When we pulled back into the dealership he admitted that it was inconsistent and didn't feel right, but that he didn't have the experience or reference to make the decision that it was "broken". He also said that the last one to come in with issues wouldn't go into gear at all and mine wasn't nearly that bad.

That being said, they begrudgingly agreed to do a tear-down and take a look at the linkages and everything else outside of the transmission housing. I'm hoping they find the issue there since the transmission/transaxle is a single component and I have a strong feeling that no dealership wants to replace that (even though it shouldn't have any cost to them except in time.)

My final alternative is to go through Ford internally and see if I can make any headway there. I found a contact for internal customer service but I only want to use this as a last resort.

The tear-down can't be done for three weeks though so I guess I'll fill you guys in when I learn more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I literally had the same exact issue as you, hard to shift into the top gears. I took it to a really good local shop. I drove the mechanic down the street, he reached in the engine bay up to his elbow, moved some wires that got caught in the linkages/cable and I was on my way 3 minutes later. Didn't even charge me for it.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Okay update time:

I managed to get a shop foreman at a different dealership to drive it today while I rode shotgun.

I noticed he was struggling with it the same way I do and he did a lot of ho-humming saying he wasn't sure if it was the car or not. Went around the side streets near the dealership a few times watching the whole thing play out as he took it up and down the rpm range and gears. When we pulled back into the dealership he admitted that it was inconsistent and didn't feel right, but that he didn't have the experience or reference to make the decision that it was "broken". He also said that the last one to come in with issues wouldn't go into gear at all and mine wasn't nearly that bad.

That being said, they begrudgingly agreed to do a tear-down and take a look at the linkages and everything else outside of the transmission housing. I'm hoping they find the issue there since the transmission/transaxle is a single component and I have a strong feeling that no dealership wants to replace that (even though it shouldn't have any cost to them except in time.)

My final alternative is to go through Ford internally and see if I can make any headway there. I found a contact for internal customer service but I only want to use this as a last resort.

The tear-down can't be done for three weeks though so I guess I'll fill you guys in when I learn more.
Let us know what they find.. Mine has done this day one since I got it (just passed a year of ownership last month)
It's odd with mine, I will go through a phase where for a couple of weeks it shift flawlessly and be as smooth as glass. Then it will start happening. But mine isn't just the top gears and is more 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th that it happens to..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let us know what they find.. Mine has done this day one since I got it (just passed a year of ownership last month)
It's odd with mine, I will go through a phase where for a couple of weeks it shift flawlessly and be as smooth as glass. Then it will start happening. But mine isn't just the top gears and is more 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 6th that it happens to..
Definitely.

I plan on keeping this thread updated as long as it's still around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 15 st and almost the same issue as you. when shifting into gears almost when the shifter is half way into gear you feel some sort of blockage for a fraction of a second then slides in gear, sometimes its more rougher and noticeable, tho it does not happen at every shift but it happen to me every day specially 3rd gear for me,almost every 3 clean shifts it happen.

i tried shifting when the car is idling and when car is off it still happen, also tried double clutching and still happens.

i'm really tired of this problem it takes the joy of driving the car every time it happens, i hope to find a solution.
i have checked around the shift arm nothing seem to be unusual also tried adjusting cables.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Somewhere on here someone posted how to adjust from the plastic block on the cable near where it attaches to shift arm on trans. You pull a tab or something out and then move shifter to 3rd or 4th and then push it back in. I couldn't find it with a quick search but hopefully someone else will chime in w/ the link.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Somewhere on here someone posted how to adjust from the plastic block on the cable near where it attaches to shift arm on trans. You pull a tab or something out and then move shifter to 3rd or 4th and then push it back in. I couldn't find it with a quick search but hopefully someone else will chime in w/ the link.
Interesting issue I've found, grinding in 2nd gear FSWERKS Short Shift Kit - Page 2 here is a link from the RS forums on how to do it. I was going to try and do it since my 2nd and fourth seem hard to engage (Not sure why never missed second or fourth), but I'm not exactly sure on how to release the cable clamp without prying at it so I'll let Ford deal with it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts