Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
16 FoST, 11,000 miles. Transaxle needs to be replaced. Dealer is doing it under warranty, and happy that I caught it before it actually failed. Has the "whine" that I have heard others talking about, and sounded like what I had on my last car just before the transaxle blew up.

I am curious, though, if any others out there have experienced this and had to have it replaced? Trying to get an idea if this is a common problem or if I just got a bad one. Especially since the service writer told me it was not the first one that THEY have seen.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
16 FoST, 11,000 miles. Transaxle needs to be replaced. Dealer is doing it under warranty, and happy that I caught it before it actually failed. Has the "whine" that I have heard others talking about, and sounded like what I had on my last car just before the transaxle blew up.

I am curious, though, if any others out there have experienced this and had to have it replaced? Trying to get an idea if this is a common problem or if I just got a bad one. Especially since the service writer told me it was not the first one that THEY have seen.

Most transmission issues with the ST's have been syncro's.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

I had to replace both of mine. I would get this strange knocking sound. I replaced the hanger bearing and it didn't fix the issue. At the same time the CV boot ripped on my other side so I ordered two new axles and replaced both of them. No issues since. It has been around 10k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah. I think I may have been a tad imprecise with my original description. They're changing the entire assembly, not just the axles.

Don't think it has anything to do with syncros. I've had syncros go bad before. No shifting issues, just a "whine" under acceleration. As others have described, almost sounds like a straight cut gear whine.

And, I've got to give my dealer props, as I brought it in for the recall software, mentioned the noise and asked them to test drive it, and they came back within 2 hours with their response. No arguing, no "I can't hear it", nothing but "Here's what we need to do to make it right".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts