Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some opinions... most of the time I drive with my traction control off anyways because I feel like I like the way the car drives better anyways with it off. But the other night I'm roll racing my friend (stock ST) I'm in a stage 3 stratified tuned 93 oct ST. And its a really close race. I had the traction on not even paying attention. My main question is... does traction control dramatically cut power when you are going balls out?? I also havd summer tires on and it was about 35-40 degrees out so I probably didnt get the best traction... but what do you guys think? Always race with traction control off?? Anyone else have any experience racing stock vs stage 3?

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you are spinning, yes you lose power. It's cutting fuel and timing because the wheels are slipping. I can't speak for how much it affects cornering, but you were straight line. If you weren't spinning, then no, you won't be losing power. If you know how to control the wheel spin with ESC off, then yeah it'll be better with it off, but some people leave it on even for drag races because they don't know how to control it and it's just one less thing to worry about. If you don't know how to control it and you are spinning really hard, ESC on could win I think.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
I would like some opinions... most of the time I drive with my traction control off anyways because I feel like I like the way the car drives better anyways with it off. But the other night I'm roll racing my friend (stock ST) I'm in a stage 3 stratified tuned 93 oct ST. And its a really close race. I had the traction on not even paying attention. My main question is... does traction control dramatically cut power when you are going balls out?? I also havd summer tires on and it was about 35-40 degrees out so I probably didnt get the best traction... but what do you guys think? Always race with traction control off?? Anyone else have any experience racing stock vs stage 3?
If you are spinning, yes you lose power. It's cutting fuel and timing because the wheels are slipping. I can't speak for how much it affects cornering, but you were straight line. If you weren't spinning, then no, you won't be losing power. If you know how to control the wheel spin with ESC off, then yeah it'll be better with it off, but some people leave it on even for drag races because they don't know how to control it and it's just one less thing to worry about. If you don't know how to control it and you are spinning really hard, ESC on could win I think.
Stock traction control uses the brakes...it's terrible for that reason. Even if it isn't cutting your timing or fuel imagine how much it messes things up by hitting your BRAKES while you're at WOT...

Since you have Stratified why don't you use Stratified TC? It is literally so so so much better because it cuts spark and limits you to as much power as it detects you have traction available. Seriously sliced bread level of awesome.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Stock traction control uses the brakes...it's terrible for that reason. Even if it isn't cutting your timing or fuel imagine how much it messes things up by hitting your BRAKES while you're at WOT...

Since you have Stratified why don't you use Stratified TC? It is literally so so so much better because it cuts spark and limits you to as much power as it detects you have traction available. Seriously sliced bread level of awesome.
Tvc uses the brakes to control excessive wheel spin which is different than traction control which uses spark, timing and wastegate.

You are talking about cobb traction control which stratified uses through the access port. I have it setup with freektune as well. The beauty of this system is that it doesn’t use the brakes or the wastegate so you maintain boost. It seriously works and gives you a much smaller reduction of power than factory tc. Cobb has an excellent write up of how their system works on their website.

You should really be careful if your roll racing in cold temps on summer tires man. If you have to brake or turn suddenly those tires aren’t going to perform like you expect...

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Tvc uses the brakes to control excessive wheel spin which is different than traction control which uses spark, timing and wastegate.

You are talking about cobb traction control which stratefied uses through the access port. I have it setup with freektune as well. The beauty of this system is that it doesn’t use the brakes or the wastegate so you maintain boost. It seriously works and gives you a much smaller reduction of power than factory tc. Cobb has an excellent write up of how their system works on their website.

You should really be careful if your roll racing in cold temps on summer tires man. If you have to brake or turn suddenly those tires aren’t going to perform like you expect...
Well, Stratified did it the right way by defaulting you to be at the most ideal (usually) setting instead of the Cobb method where you have to go into your Accessport and change it manually every time you get into the car...got annoying really fast. Ford should have taken that approach to TC to begin with instead of cheaping out with the brake method

·
Registered
530 Posts

Wow.. I did not know that.. I mean, I've brake boosted a few times to try it out, but that's pretty controlled. Considering how often we get wheel spin at WOT, constant brake boosting just sounds like a time bomb for detonation.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
Wow.. I did not know that.. I mean, I've brake boosted a few times to try it out, but that's pretty controlled. Considering how often we get wheel spin at WOT, constant brake boosting just sounds like a time bomb for detonation.
Plus, it's rather hard on your brakes. And it obviously throws off your cars handling a little. The stability control also uses the brakes, so you go around a turn and the rear steps out...and suddenly it grabs ahold with the rear tire by hitting the brakes and it might throw you a direction you don't want to go. Nah. I'll leave it on for typical commuting...where it properly does its job...but spirited driving I turn off ALL the stock garbage and stick to Stratified/Cobb TC and no stability control...that way if I want to have some oversteer I'll have some. Then, it's up to me to save my own ass and not plant into a ditch :lol:

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Plus, it's rather hard on your brakes. And it obviously throws off your cars handling a little. The stability control also uses the brakes, so you go around a turn and the rear steps out...and suddenly it grabs ahold with the rear tire by hitting the brakes and it might throw you a direction you don't want to go. Nah. I'll leave it on for typical commuting...where it properly does its job...but spirited driving I turn off ALL the stock garbage and stick to Stratified/Cobb TC and no stability control...that way if I want to have some oversteer I'll have some. Then, it's up to me to save my own ass and not plant into a ditch :lol:
As far as I know, the stability control can not be turned off unless the computer has been reprogrammed and I don't think any of the tuners mess with it. Traction control yes.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,196 Posts
As far as I know, the stability control can not be turned off unless the computer has been reprogrammed and I don't think any of the tuners mess with it. Traction control yes.
Pressing and holding the Traction Control button displays ESC-Off, which I'm fairly certain is "Electronic Stability Control."

It's always to be disabled when tracking and autocrossing simply due to what I said above where if your tail end slips out it'll try to "correct" and throw you off course. Running with stability enabled helps fight some of the torque steer though which is beneficial to a lot of people who aren't fond of it. There is always a sliver of control in the hands of the car though which might be what you're thinking of. Certain stability controls are in place to avoid rollovers and general safety, but throwing it into ESC off is definitely a huge difference in how the car behaves

·
Super Moderator
9,548 Posts
Pressing and holding the Traction Control button displays ESC-Off, which I'm fairly certain is "Electronic Stability Control."

It's always to be disabled when tracking and autocrossing simply due to what I said above where if your tail end slips out it'll try to "correct" and throw you off course. Running with stability enabled helps fight some of the torque steer though which is beneficial to a lot of people who aren't fond of it. There is always a sliver of control in the hands of the car though which might be what you're thinking of. Certain stability controls are in place to avoid rollovers and general safety, but throwing it into ESC off is definitely a huge difference in how the car behaves
I know it says ESC-off when you press and hold the button; it does not turn it all of the way off though. There is still some oversight by the computer; it is dialed back but never truly all of the way off. There is an old thread on this somewhere from back in 2012 once people first started to push the cars and experiment with the nannies.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
414 Posts
The stability control can be turned off 100% . The torque vectoring control cannot be turned off because for does not think that it could hurt performance. When traction control and stability control or turned off torque factoring control stays on because it is acting as if it were a limited slip differential.

So to reiterate 1 press turns off traction control and leaves stability on a sport setting allowing more yaw or rotation before it intervenes TVC ON
Press and hold for 5 seconds and BOTH TC AND STABILITY ARE OFF. TVC is on

Only way to reduce TVC activity is by employing a true lsd to reduce side to side wheel speed variances. I have one installed an while I can say it reduces tvc action it doesn’t disable it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts