Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So, I have a Miata as a track car and my ST is my daily driver. I'm signed for a track day tomorrow with the Miata but it's check engine light came on this morning and I'm not sure what it is yet. I'm considering my FoST if the Miata ends up not being able to make it. I know heat soak is an issue with the stock FMIC but I'm not going to be pushing the car 10/10ths. Its my daily and its been years since I've driven a FWD car at the track and never one this powerful. I'll have the stock pads and fluids since I won't have to time to buy or swap better stuff.

Track is Thunderhill West in Northern CA. It's supposed to be cloudy with highs in the high 60s.

Anyways, thanks for reading.

-David

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ford Fusion Sport
8,198 Posts
Hey everyone,

So, I have a Miata as a track car and my ST is my daily driver. I'm signed for a track day tomorrow with the Miata but it's check engine light came on this morning and I'm not sure what it is yet. I'm considering my FoST if the Miata ends up not being able to make it. I know heat soak is an issue with the stock FMIC but I'm not going to be pushing the car 10/10ths. Its my daily and its been years since I've driven a FWD car at the track and never one this powerful. I'll have the stock pads and fluids since I won't have to time to buy or swap better stuff.

Track is Thunderhill West in Northern CA. It's supposed to be cloudy with highs in the high 60s.

-David
Should be interesting with stock tires, brake pads, and fluid. Heatsoak will DEFINITELY happen pretty bad, but shouldn't hurt anything other than power. Best of luck.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hey everyone,

-David
At 60's the car should do OK but definitely want to be carefully feeling the brake pedal so you don't go too far and boil the fluid.

Reactions: brian60

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I was able to fix the miata. The FoST will have to wait for another track day and the supporting mods.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Pads and fluids would be the best idea. Intercooler too if you'll be spending a lot of time in the higher R's, along with tune and plugs.

Otherwise, I'd say you'd be safe just as long as you don't push hard. Drive, enjoy the time and have fun ripping it through the corners, but I'd say for the braking and long straights, maybe stay down on the throttle, shift early, brake early.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, I was able to fix the miata. The FoST will have to wait for another track day and the supporting mods.

what was wrong with it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
what was wrong with it?
The EGR tube broke off at the header, creating a huge exhaust leak. I lucked out because a local Mazda dealership had the piece in stock. I didn't have much hope to find the piece in stock locally for 21 year old car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts