Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Thunderhill (West) on Saturday.
Last time I tracked the ST was, hmmm, I think last year in the summer and the first time was also last year.

First track day with the ST was at Laguna Seca and I melted my brakes (pads, discs, lines). So, I replaced the pads with Hawks that I don't care for to be honest, I put the 2-piece carbotech rotors on there but they are smaller than the stock ones (I have a late 2014 ST) and I put SS brake lines in there as well as some good braking fluid RF600 or something like that.

At the previous track day, also at T-Hill (5 mile course), I did 2 sessions and called it a day because my brakes felt soft and I wasn't willing to risk having to drive 210 miles back home with no brakes.

On to Saturday, I brought my set of Carbotech XP12 with me because I figured that I would swap them with the Hawks for the day. Turns out that I didn't because stupidly enough, I only brought the half of the pads... :doh:
I thought, well, OK fine. The Hawks have plenty of material left (kind of) so that will have to do.

Next, I brought my 17" wheels with me (Forgestar wheels that weight some 9lbs less than the porky stock ones). I put the front wheels on first, no prob. Then it's time for the rear and I notice that I'm missing 4 lug nuts :doh:
Seriously...

At that point my car looks funny, with black wheels up front and stock wheels in the back. Later that day, some dude who had a Subaru asked me how I liked it with R Compound in the front and regular tires in the back because he thought that I had done that on purpose...

Anyway, since I didn't know that layout too well, I took it easy in the first session and was able to push it harder in the next two.
After the first session, I got a CEL and while I haven't yet put my scanner in there, it's safe to assume that it is because my air filter is dirty and therefore, my MAF is also in a sad state. The car still ran somewhat fine but I could tell that it wasn't optimum.

By the middle of the second session, my oil temp rose up to 240F and while it's not bad, considering that the turbo probably contribute to heating it up more than a N/A car, I kept an eye on it. Same thing in the 3 session.

The front tires are Ventus 720 or something (C51) and they stick really well. I use those on my Elise and I have no complaint at all. The rear are the stock F1 and they gave me no trouble.
My friend spun his Miata out, so I missed a session while helping him and I skipped the last one anyway because I didn't want to see the oil temp gauge go up like this again.

Anyway, overall the car handled it quite nicely and the Hawks didn't melt, which made me somewhat happy.

One note though, I have BC Racing coil overs on the car and I'm going to have to increase the ride height a little because I'm bottoming out in some parts of the track (especially turning while braking). It's not too bad but it clearly shouldn't be happening. That or something is wrong with the pre-load, possibly.

·
Registered
483 Posts
None of those trips sounds like a good day at the track. If I was in your shoes I would invest in some brake cooling and install and oil cooler.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm probably not going to track the ST that much more to be honest but you're right, an oil cooler would be welcome.
I did have the pads but like an idiot, I only took half of them so I had to stay with the hawks. Said hawks did a decent job to be honest but I would have felt more comfortable with the Carbotech.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm probably not going to track the ST that much more to be honest but you're right, an oil cooler would be welcome.
I did have the pads but like an idiot, I only took half of them so I had to stay with the hawks. Said hawks did a decent job to be honest but I would have felt more comfortable with the Carbotech.
Good to hear that you made it through the day. Bummer that you were not able to learn more about your brakes, but knowing that the hawks were able to handle the demands is good news.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Take your time, get the right equipment, and try again. I wouldn't give up. When you have the right parts for the job it will make the experience enjoyable.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Went to Thunderhill (West) on Saturday.
Last time I tracked the ST was, hmmm, I think last year in the summer and the first time was also last year.

First track day with the ST was at Laguna Seca and I melted my brakes (pads, discs, lines). So, I replaced the pads with Hawks that I don't care for to be honest, I put the 2-piece carbotech rotors on there but they are smaller than the stock ones (I have a late 2014 ST) and I put SS brake lines in there as well as some good braking fluid RF600 or something like that.

At the previous track day, also at T-Hill (5 mile course), I did 2 sessions and called it a day because my brakes felt soft and I wasn't willing to risk having to drive 210 miles back home with no brakes.

On to Saturday, I brought my set of Carbotech XP12 with me because I figured that I would swap them with the Hawks for the day. Turns out that I didn't because stupidly enough, I only brought the half of the pads... :doh:
I thought, well, OK fine. The Hawks have plenty of material left (kind of) so that will have to do.

Next, I brought my 17" wheels with me (Forgestar wheels that weight some 9lbs less than the porky stock ones). I put the front wheels on first, no prob. Then it's time for the rear and I notice that I'm missing 4 lug nuts :doh:
Seriously...

At that point my car looks funny, with black wheels up front and stock wheels in the back. Later that day, some dude who had a Subaru asked me how I liked it with R Compound in the front and regular tires in the back because he thought that I had done that on purpose...

Anyway, since I didn't know that layout too well, I took it easy in the first session and was able to push it harder in the next two.
After the first session, I got a CEL and while I haven't yet put my scanner in there, it's safe to assume that it is because my air filter is dirty and therefore, my MAF is also in a sad state. The car still ran somewhat fine but I could tell that it wasn't optimum.

By the middle of the second session, my oil temp rose up to 240F and while it's not bad, considering that the turbo probably contribute to heating it up more than a N/A car, I kept an eye on it. Same thing in the 3 session.

The front tires are Ventus 720 or something (C51) and they stick really well. I use those on my Elise and I have no complaint at all. The rear are the stock F1 and they gave me no trouble.
My friend spun his Miata out, so I missed a session while helping him and I skipped the last one anyway because I didn't want to see the oil temp gauge go up like this again.

Anyway, overall the car handled it quite nicely and the Hawks didn't melt, which made me somewhat happy.

One note though, I have BC Racing coil overs on the car and I'm going to have to increase the ride height a little because I'm bottoming out in some parts of the track (especially turning while braking). It's not too bad but it clearly shouldn't be happening. That or something is wrong with the pre-load, possibly.
None of that sounds like a good time!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was actually fun despite those few issues considering that most were caused by me anyway (lug nuts missing, brake pad missing, etc).

Wheel lug nuts missing result :D
0364-preset.jpg

0912-preset.jpg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts