Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BFG Rival track tires (245/40/18) are reaching the end of their life and I was wondering if there were any new tires I should be considering as I look to replace them? For the Focus which sees the occasional track day, I don't want to go the full R compound route ( I spend enough on those for my Spec Miata) but I'm not afraid of a low treadwear tires. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Take off slicks? Those are awesome if that's a practicality sacrifice you can make. If not going r comp I would look at super sports/f1's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
458 Posts
My BFG Rival track tires (245/40/18) are reaching the end of their life and I was wondering if there were any new tires I should be considering as I look to replace them? For the Focus which sees the occasional track day, I don't want to go the full R compound route ( I spend enough on those for my Spec Miata) but I'm not afraid of a low treadwear tires. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
I run Pirelli DH slicks (takeoffs) on the track, but at least around here in MI you can buy Eagle F1's in good shape for really cheap since people with ST's switch to all-seasons rather than summer/winter. I just bought a set of 4 F1's with <8k miles for $100. I started on them at the track and still use them occasionally and they are OK, but not as good as more track focused ones like Rivals, RE-71R, etc. It's tough to beat their bang for the buck though.

Dan

Reactions: SiThlord

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do have the Super Sports on my stock wheels so I could use them in a pinch ( and I know my dad did a track day with those on his M235i and thought they were ok. I'm trying to stay clear of slicks and R comps as I'm kind of lazy with the ST and I don't want to change tires at the track. :cool:

·
Registered
613 Posts
One lap wonder from what guys I've talked to that run them on the track. Great for autocross, not so much for normal track day lapping though IMO. I'd look at the new Hankook RS4 if it comes in the right sizes

·
Registered
809 Posts
I run NTO5's. Not R compound, 200tw. I got 3 full track weekends (drag/autox/road racing for 2 days) adn about 10,000-15,000 miles road miles on mine. Wasn't upset and they are cheap.

I wanted RE71's but they were a bit more spendy and my furnace had just gone out. Spent money that I needed too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts