Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
-

Link to youtube video

I drove up to Sebring this past Friday, grabbed a garage, checked in at Seven Sebring Hotel, committed the egregious sin of using one of those DIY car wash bays to clean my baby, grabbed gas station sandwiches and snacks, back to hotel, topped off the GoPros .... all in that order lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Stock snowflakes wheels are they ok for HPDE? Won't crack easily?

How about premium wheels like yours? No problem for HPDE? Someone near me is selling them for 320 bucks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

How about premium wheels like yours? No problem for HPDE? Someone near me is selling them for 320 bucks.
These were fine for this track day, with Goodyear Asymetric 2 at 32psi each

My old Fiesta SES had silver wheels similar to the base Focus ST wheels. I had that car at Homestead Speedway once. No issues there either.

I frequently went over the curbing at each track.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

Ive done several HPDE days with the Premium wheels and there were no problems using them. If you can get a set for $320 i would grab them as I paid about $800 for my extra set. Heck, if i wasnt going to do a Brembo upgrade i'd grab them at that price if you didnt want them and make them dedicated track wheels.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
These were fine for this track day, with Goodyear Asymetric 2 at 32psi each

I frequently went over the curbing at each track.
Same here, that was exactly my setup too. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look forward to final report and videos.
There is a video link up top.

Overall I had a great day. I went through an entire tank of gas lol, average about 9mpg, according to the trip meter.

I had the traction control on for most of the day. It created this odd jerky motion pulling out of corners.

Torque was Not evident on the track, since you’re always in motion (it is somewhat evident from a stop).

In my last session I did finally remember to turn off the traction control. I went with full off. There was noticeable improvement in smoothness when coming out of the corner.

But on this last session I also caught the edge of the track and spun. I spun long enough that I actually had time to think to myself ‘Damn! I’m STILL spinning!”

First one way, corrected but spun the other way, half a second too slow on hitting the clutch as I went full reverse and around again. The car stalled and threw four different codes relating to the PCM (I have a Kiwi III in the port) when the ABS sensors gave the outrageous and impossible signals; one wheel stopped, the other going 40, the crosswise wheel doing minus 10 ... lol

Would the traction control have prevented the spin, where one wheel was on grass and caught on the edge of the pavement and the other three all on pavement? Maybe, probably.

I was REAL concerned when I was trying to restart the car and it wouldn’t. But it did start, into limp-home mode. I was thinking all kinds of bad things, blown turbo routing, busted crank .., fortunately the internet solution of disconnecting the battery reset the PCM. I cleared the codes with an iPhone app, through the Kiwi III.

One absolute must, for any track day .... high temperature brake fluid.
I was running stock pads, rotors and fluid and the system works awesome.

Until they fade.

Even with the Ford Performance brake cooling airflow deflectors the brakes faded halfway into the fourth lap, consistently, every session. There they go ... to the floor lol.

That even came up as a code on the iOS OBD app Car Scanner, thermal event (or something) brake temp has exceeded 415F (maybe 450)

Next track day will have HT brake fluid for sure, probably Castrol SRF.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Things I took to the track:

Fluids. Oil, coolant, brake fluid though that will be high temp fluid next time lol

Cordless drill and two spare batteries (Ryobi)

Cordless air co (Ryobi P731) and battery, also uses the same batteries as the drill

Car jack and jack stands. I took out the spare wheel jack ahead of time. That would serve as my jack. What I did was get a spare 19mm socket and added an adapter. Chucked into my cordless drill made the jack into a power jack. Works awesome lol. I even went so far as to hit eBay and bought another ST jack. Now I just leave the stock one in the car (it’s my daily driver)

A piece of plywood, a left over strip. This is my wheel chock. I put the car in the perfect place in the garage space. Then I chock one tire. This allows me to easily drive out of the space. When I come back I simply reverse back over it. The strip provides a tactile sensation to let me know I’m in the same exact place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Collapsible chair, the Trekology YIZI GO Portable Camping Chair

The Igloo Quantum 12 cooler. Small cooler that holds ice for quite a while in the hottest climes (as demonstrated during and after a 3-Gun event here in south FL lol)

Flat tool kit, purchased at Costco about a million years ago. Closest thing I could find online is this one:

Discontinued Craftsman tool box. This box held the cordless drill, batteries, torque wrench, breaker bar, pressure gauge, wheel socket, jack socket, cordless chuck adapter, other items ...

Torque wrench TEKTON 24335 1/2" Drive Click Torque Wrench (10-150'.-Lb./13.6-203.5 Nm) - - Amazon.com

Breaker bar Amazon.com: ABN Extension Bar, 1/2in Drive x 18in – 180-Degree Rotating Head and Spring-Loaded Ball Bearing 1/2 Breaker Bar: Automotive

19mm socket. I bought two of these, one for the jack stand, one for the lug nuts

Socket adapter set for the cordless drill.

Griot's Speed Shine, multiple (new) microfiber towels, blue paper towels (stronger, and less lint than kitchen paper towels)

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
couldnt keep up with the Porsche eh??? lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
-

Track Armour. I used this stuff on my front clip. I also used contact paper, this was on the hood (semi-stick plastic sheet, nice and cheap). Based on my experience I have to recommend the track tape lol. The contact paper is thinner but it's the tackiness, it's not enough to keep it down. Also, bring NEW single-sided razor blades, just a couple. To trim the Track Armour for those curves and such. You might think a box cutter is good enough, but no. In my experience even a used single-edge razor blade works better than a new box cutter blade.

Here you can see the contact paper on the hood (meh) and you cannot really see the Track Armour on the front end (worked much moh bettah) though you can see the wrinkling, indicating I'd had enough of messing with the contact paper for so long and just getting the track armour on and over with lol

The TA package I bought also came with a very useful plastic squeegee, even had one side wrapped in felt.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Reset the battery, that's the clear the codes right, and if codes didn't come back that means car is ok?

Hmm you took a lot of stuff to the track, I actually never took anything to the HPDE and if it needs fixing or anything I am stuck. (3 HPDE and car never got a problem) Maybe next time I should bring a few basic thing.

Very nice cameras set up, u got one on top, one on the side, one inside. All real video quallity and they don't shake at all unlike other youtube vids (u got go pro?) Next time try one of those apps that you can see mph, g force braking etc. track addict is a nice and free one. But really nice , must be one of the better video on youtube. Was that a 911 porsche? Which organization hosted the track day? I am thinking about trying speed venture.

So I did 1 HPDE weekend with stock pads, 2 HPDE weekends with hawk hp+ pads. Stock rotors should still have plenty left? No need to check thickness yet or after how many HPDE then I should start to worry?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I definitely overpacked lol.

I had three GoPro Session 5 with me (used two) and a Hero 5. I used the GoPro remote to turn them on and off (vs running around lol).

it was a big relief when the car came back to life after plugging the battery in again, after about 10 min. I had to use the app to clear the codes.

The Corvette next to me had hardly anything as well.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Very nice!

Hmm so snowflakes sounds pretty strong, and I don't drive the car that often, I think I won't buy extra set of wheels for dedicated track use. hmmm I will see if my snowflakes got bent or anything serious, that sounds like a good deal used.

I also got about 9MPG with everything on, in sport mode I got about 11 to 11.5MPG. I never turn off everything tho, kinda afraid lol coz for PCA if you go off track for that session, you are done for that one. And if you go off track 3 times you are done for that day!

Yeah you want it in sport mode, that seems to be best for HPDE. A lot of things going on during the event and I forget things too, after each HPDE I would write down notes for next time. Like check tire temp and adjust after 1st session. During sesssion check oil and coolant temp once awhile, after each session check rotor for cracks etc, tires. Don't use hand brake or it will solder to the rotors. etc. Don't get into collision I didn't buy track insurance and regular insurance doesn't cover it etc etc .

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Nice write up, and continue to have fun. If you do this often enough, a spare set of wheels with track-dedicated tires, and track-brake pads would be recommended. s long as you are not racing, your insurance should cover an accident in a "driving clinic".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts